Print

Author Topic: New Mario titles unveiled at E3  (Read 56764 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »
Man, I don't want any longer games. Due to real life and other games I haven't even finished the first SMG.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »
Heck, I've got no problem with SMG2 being as "long" as SMG (which it sounds like it will be) if it's just harder (which it sounds like it will be).

In fact, though many Wii/DS games have let me down in terms of substance, SMG is really the only one where I actually quickly came up with an alternative setup that could very well have made the game much more challenging without inherently messing with level design/enemy layout: Completely remove coins, instead using 100 Star Bits to get an extra life. Star Bits wouldn't be used as a weapon, but you could still feed them to Lumas.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:29:52 PM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »
Sounds good. In fact, it seemed almost pointless for Coins to appear in SMG: Without 100-Coin stars, their only purpose is for extra lives, which really isn't worth the effort. Personally, I'd rather rather have the sequel abolish Star Bits altogether and return to just Coins.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2009, 09:46:31 PM »
Mario's comparatively small health meter would like a word.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2009, 10:09:16 PM »
Well, less Star Bits and more Coins would mean more oppurtunities for the man to replenish his health, would it not?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2009, 11:10:33 PM »
Coins were originally for getting extra lives and nothing else. And pretty much the only game where they were the easiest method was SMB. Why complain about it only now?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »
Sunshine and 64 both had 100-Coin objectives, and Galaxy proved that Star Bits are pretty much useless for anything but feeding to Lumas. Just sayin'.

« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2009, 12:15:27 AM »
Keep them both, Star Bits and Coins. They are both useful.

Unless we're talking about Blue Coin Challenges.. *shiver*
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2009, 07:57:35 AM »
Mario's comparatively small health meter would like a word.
Sorry, but the large number of coins, 1ups, and Star Bits, and the presence of Mushrooms before anything mildly difficult, have already spoken.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2009, 10:57:04 AM »
Star Bits and 1-Ups don't restore health in any way, if I remember right...

Actually, now that I think about it, wouldn't it have been better just to use a plain old Super Mushroom for doubling the amount of hitpoints Mario has (which is what it does in the sidescrolling series)?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2009, 11:13:27 AM »
What I meant was that, in terms of preventing you from getting a Game Over, 1-Ups and Star Bits are a factor. But I guess you're right; maybe I should've just left that out since we're mainly talking about in-game health.

« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2009, 12:36:49 PM »
A) Game Overs have nothing to do with difficulty in the 3D Marios.
B) Sheesh, I like hard games but how hard do you want Galaxy to be? I die way more on it than SMB1, 2, 3, World. It's got easily the hardest star in Mario history and stuff like 1-health boss challenges.

It bugs me a little when people call out the Wii entries in the series as being easy, because one of things I admire about Nintendo right now is how even with all the grannies they're luring to Wii, the main franchise games have not gotten easy-fied. Some, like Punch-Out!!, will even rape you.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
A) Game Overs have nothing to do with difficulty in the 3D Marios.

Not directly, but if you're getting lots of Game Overs, you can probably safely conclude the game is hard.

« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2009, 06:29:34 PM »
It's got easily the hardest star in Mario history

Which Star do you feel that is?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »
He's probably referring to the Toy Time Galaxy Purple Coins challenge. Or Daredevil Bouldergeist.

Print