Print

Author Topic: Where do you buy your Games?  (Read 8346 times)

« on: September 26, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »
After replying to a thread in another subforum I thought I'd ask where everyone gets their games.

I usually go to the Game Stop at the local mall, which began life as an old-fashioned EB (back when they still carried computer stuff like Windows and Office). There are Game Stops seemingly everywhere around my city but this one is usually the least crowded because of where it is.

The mall the store is in is known mostly for high-fashion stores. It's got a Nordstrom and a Macy's as its big anchors and has a Tiffany's, True Religion store, Lacoste store, and all those high-end purse/ladies accessories stores like Louis Vuitton. EB was one of the original stores from back when the mall was more middle-class and has moved a few times to make room for other stores. Way back when I remember being home sick and my dad stopped by the mall and picked up SMB3 for me at this EB back when the NES was my newest system. It was a very happy day indeed and probably the best sick day I ever had. (Both of my parents are gamers so I've always gotten video games as gifts without objection; today they are both Wii players).

Since most people coming to this mall are there for clothes and accessories, nobody thinks to pay Game Stop any attention unless they are buying games for someone. The Game Stop is actually located next to an Abercrombie & Fitch, so if you've ever dreamed of loud music and cologne scents while trying out video games your wish has been fulfilled.

The other Game Stops in the area are located near the "big box" stores like Best Buy, Target, etc. When it comes time for Black Friday, these usually fill up first since people tend to camp out near the "big box" stores more frequently. The one at the mall does not, probably because the mall itself doesn't open until later. I got a Wii there two years ago when it was really tough to find and didn't get there until 5:30 AM. I was 12th in line for something like 40 Wiis and was able to get Super Mario Galaxy while I was there. Thankfully I have a security system on my car--I had to run the Wii out and engage the alarm so that nobody would try to steal it (believe me, the line was about 200 people long by 6:00). I got Wii Fit there last Black Friday and will try to get New Super Mario Bros Wii there this year.

There used to be another store called Babbage's at this mall. It was pretty much the same thing as EB but had even more computer stuff at one time. I think I bought Norton Anti Virus there once. Babbage's shut down a few years ago and I'm guessing Game Stop bought them too since I seem to remember another Babbage's in a nearby town becoming a Game Stop.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »
It depends on what I'm buying. I've picked up a lot of older games at garage sales and thrift stores. I buy some stuff at various GameStops (most recently, the GameCube version of Ikaruga). The rest is purchased online or at smaller game stores.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »
Shouldn't this be a poll thread? Anyway, Gamstop doesn't exist in Canada, so I use either EB or general shopping establishments like Wal-Mart. So sue me.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 02:04:19 PM »
If it's PC games, Steam, usually. Otherwise, GameStop and such.
every

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »
Steam, internets, or local stores with electronics sections. I rarely go to stores that are video game specific, because only MONSTER NERDS go there.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »
I just go to Fred Meyer, they have a Home & Electronics section near the front entrance. Has games, DVDs, TVs, and various game and PC supplies.

In the good 'ol days, I'd go to a Toys R' Us, grab a slip of paper in the game section, and then go to the game counter where you see nothing but a mountain of game boxes behind the guy. He looks for the game, hands you a copy, and off you go.

Other places I've gotten games from include Funcoland (which is now GameStop I believe), Sears (they had a Nintendo shop on the top floor), EB Games, and a small shop I forget the name of.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
Target, Sears/K-Mart, Wal-Mart and occasionaly Toys R' Us in that order.

I usually just browse the local GameStops because I don't feel like giving them my cash until they bring back the legacy systems games. I only use eBay if I'm searching for a rare game and I'll check pawn shops as well since they have some massively good deals there (Viewtiful Joe and Metroid Prime 2 for only 7 dollars was pretty awesome).
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
I tend not to get a lot of games from pawn shops, but yeah, crazy awesome deals. Stuff like Parasite Eve for a buck.

TEM, you own all three current-gen game systems and an awesome gaming PC. You played World of WarCraft for quite some time. You've run drawing contests with cash prizes on an Internet forum. You're not allowed to use "only MONSTER NERDS go there" as an excuse to not go somewhere, because you are a MONSTER NERD.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
The assumption that only a "hardcore video game nerd" goes to GameStop is a lot like saying only "hardcore sports players" go to Dunham's or that only car fanatics shop at Advance Auto Parts.

I wouldn't call myself a "hardcore video game nerd" (only have Nintendos, don't play all genres of games--hate FPSs with a passion) but I do like going somewhere that has a good selection and specializes in the item I'm going for. This is the same reason why I buy clothes at Macy's, books at Borders, iPods at the Apple store, etc. It's also nice if I have a question about something since most of these stores staff people who know what they speak of. (This really isn't an issue with video game stuff since it's pretty easy to figure out but if I'm buying something for a family member or friend that I know nothing about, it's worth it).

Does Sears even have a good video game selection in your area? I went there once to get my cousin a game (I think it was MarioKart DS, actually) because GameStop had run out (I got there too late that year and got the very last copy at Sears). I've looked for games there since and have found their selection to be somewhat poor, just like the DVD selection. Maybe it's just because the Sears at my mall is a bit small and seems to be focusing on TVs more than other things? Also, does anyone else's Sears sell computers anymore?

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »
The Sears near my place carries lots of video game goods. It still carries some accessories for the original DS as well. It helps that it's the closest department store aside from a Target a couple blocks away, since the other big name stores (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Macy's) or all north of the area where the college is.

I don't remember if they still carry PC stuff, but yeah the video game section shares a floor with the home entertainment and appliances section.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »
Nintendos

Nope, you're not a hardcore video game nerd.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »
Since Circuit City died, I mainly get games where I work, because we started getting new games along with our massive hoard of used games for all systems. And because of employee discount. I think I got Chrono Trigger on DS at GameStop* because they had the arrangement mini-album pre-order deal.

There aren't any Sears stores in malls here. Just a big self-contained one. I haven't been there in years, either. Also I somewhat frequently browse the deals at Target, because sometimes they sell new games for crazy deals.

*it's intercapped, not two words.
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 05:29:27 AM »
EB, since it's pretty much the only major gaming retailer where I live.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 10:05:31 AM »
this one is usually the least crowded because of where it is.

You'd think it would be more crowded for that reason.

It would depend on how popular or rare the game in question is that I want to get. If it's something recent, I'll look at Hastings*, Target**, and Walmart***. If my wife is with me, we will occasionally go to GameStop.

If it's more rare/hard to find, I'll also search at GameStop (they have had those rare gems for a good deal sometimes), but usually, I'll go to the local Game Xchange (I think that's how you spell it) or look online (Amazon, Half and the third one I foget the name of [not Ebay]).

*Hastings is the main place I go for gaming releated merchandise, such as figurines.
**I got Super Mario Galaxy at Target on the release date. Absolutley everywhere else in town had lines of people waiting or were sold out. Target had one person buy that game that day (me!)
***I only shop here because my wife gets a discount. Otherwise I wouldn't even go near the place.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
Well I live in Indy, and there are a few choices here. It depends on what I am looking for, if I'm looking strictly for new games I go to the local Gamestop, Walmart or Blockbuster (it has the Game Crazy store), but when I want old games I go to Disc Replay, this store is AWESOME for gamers, they have everything from Atari to PS3 and everything in between, used music and DVDs, including anime, concert dvds. etc. back to the games, this is the only retail place I have seen that sells the FC Twin and FC 3 game systems, I bought the very rare gold Nintendo 64, along with the expansion pak, and a Super Nintendo (original).

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
GameCrazy, usually.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »
Gamestop, EBGames, Target, Ebay.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »
Usually Gamestop, which I really dislike shopping at because they're only in it for the money. My problem though is its better to shop at shops that are strictly for video games.

But Gamestop totally fails with selling used games. They sell GBA Donkey Kong (NES) for $10.00. Why would I pay $10.00 when the far superior Wii port is only 500 Wii Points (equal to $5.00)?
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 11:46:23 AM »
Why would they sell the GameCube version of Ikaruga for $30 when it's on XBLA for 800 Microsoft Points (equal to ten dollars)? (Feel free to replace "GameCube" with "PS2" and "Ikaruga" with "Rez" or increase the prices and replace "GameCube" with "Xbox or PS2" and "Ikaruga" with "Marvel vs. Capcom 2" if your tastes dictate such.)

Despite what Sony thinks, a physical copy should, considering supply and demand, always cost more than a digital one.

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
they're only in it for the money.

So, do EB's profits go to humanitarian causes or something?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
EB Games and GameStop are the same people, you twit.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »
I usually buy my games at the local Wal*Mart, where the greeters are like Walter from Jeff Dunham's comedy performances("Welcome to Wal*Mart, get your crap and get out."). However, if Wal*Mart fails, there's always a trip to the next town over to Best Buy or this small electronics store at the mall(they have Pocky! wheee!).
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »
GameStop is the only game store around here, so that's where I go to get console games. I get PC games on Steam, and only when they are on sale. I am proud to say that not one of the 16 games I got on Steam was bought at full price.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
Japangamestock.com i import only ;)

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »
Good plan. Why purchase games locally at reasonable prices when you can pay outrageous shipping fees to play the same titles in foreign languages?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 04:26:44 PM »
Because no amount of money will let you play a legitimate copy of Soma Bringer or Ketsui Death Label in English.

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »
Sure, but the same can't be said for the average Mario or Sonic title.

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »
Yeah, but if he only buys from an import shop, it's safe to assume he has no interest in those kinds of titles that are easily available at any retailer.

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 05:01:23 PM »
hey nightstar here, i live in california, im 15, and im a big mario/nintendo fan.

Take from that what you will.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 05:50:16 PM »

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 06:13:44 PM »
He has a Famicom, you guys. How many Famicom games do you see in US retail stores?

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
But his statement explies that he buys imported games exclusively, leading one to gather that he owns only a Famicom, which seems highly unlikely.

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
Shipping prices are actually very low, and i like japanese exclusives too

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 09:41:30 PM »
Alright. What I was really wondering is whether you buy non-Japanese-exclusive titles from overseas as well.

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 09:44:16 PM »
Yea i do, cause i have the japanese systems. Most the games i like dont have much words really

Print