Print

Author Topic: WarioWare DIY Scripting  (Read 7639 times)

« on: October 04, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »
Anybody still play this game, and/or know enough to help me?

Say I have a game where Mario jumped and hit a box to get coins (really similar to a game in Smooth Moves. Same basic concept: poke Mario with the stylus to jump instead of flinging the Wiimote around).

I realise the game itself has tutorials, but I am not for sure what is missing. All objects have actions, all switches are turned on (as far as I can tell), and I set the Winning Conditions too. But somehow, I always lose the game during the test run, either because Mario doesn't respond to the stylus, or doesn't stop moving upwards at the box.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »
All objects have actions, all switches are turned on (as far as I can tell), and I set the Winning Conditions too.
I don't have access to my game at the moment, but you can see what happens with the switches by selecting the thought bubble at the bottom left of the stage screen and see what happens when you play it.  Also, the Winning Conditions may not set right.  At least, when I first got the game and tried to program with out finishing the guide, I was doing the Winning Conditions wrong. 

Find the code thread and enter me and when I get access to my game I'll enter you so that you can put the game up for me to see what's wrong if you don't figure it out before then.  I'll also put my SMB levels up again (too bad it only allows two at a time). 

Also, did PL ever get this? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:47 PM »
I got some help too from the Gamefaqs forums also. I can make the game be won when Mario hits the block, but there are no coins involved (as of now, anyway).

My wireless isn't working right now. We're going to talk to our internet people soon and see about just switching over to a wireless modem. Maybe I'll be in my online games more consistently then..

I don't know if PL ever got it.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
Also, did PL ever get this? 

That's a negative, I'm saving up for other things right now.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »
I need some help again. I have a game where you are trying to find a Starman hidden in one of three treasure chests. I've attached it to one of the chests, the other two are just kinda there. You tap a chest to 'open' it (it does a SMB3 like poof and teleports away) and hope the Starman is inside.

My problem is sometimes, the Starman fails to appear at all, thus making the game where you can't win. I have the AI telling it to stop travelling when a chest is opened, but it seems like that's not the problem.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »
Just a few questions, Toad.

How are you randomizing the Starman?  Do you have an object whose switch randomly turns on in one of three possible times?
Once the position of the Starman is set, does it jump to one of the chests?
What are your winning conditions?  You can have it so that at the start of the game all the chests' switches are left off and when the Starman touches a chest, that winning chest turns on its switch.  When the player touches the correct chest, it turns that chest's switch off and that could trigger the Starman's switch turning on, which would win the game.

Edit: Maybe you can't see the Starman because the winning chest moves in its "tapped" animation and the Starman's attached behind it.  If that's the case, have it so that the Starman "stops traveling" when its switch turns on.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:48:20 PM by Fawful Fan »

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »
Thanks for the help! I've actually had it figured out for several days: the Starman was moving with the chest it was attached to. Telling the Starman to stop moving when the game starts seems to have fixed that problem. :)

Now my problem is I want to have the other two chests cycle through items. One has a Super Mushroom and a 1-Up, the other a Fire Flower and a Super Leaf. (the game is SMB3 styled, have I mentioned that?) I may change the 1-Up and the Leaf to other items, but anyway, the trouble I'm having now is that sometimes both the flower and the leaf appear in the one chest. It looks very odd (like the leaf has stems) and I am not sure how to fix it.

If I add a slight background to the Leaf, it might mess with the background a bit, since the chests are set to appear randomly anywhere on the playing field.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »
So you have three chests.  One will have a Starman, and the other two will randomly have two of the following: Super Mushroom, 1-Up, Fire Flower, and a Super Leaf.  If that's what you're going for, you should probably have two randomizing objects--each will turn on its switch randomly at one of two possible times.  With two randomizers, you'll have a total of four possibilities, hence your four non-winning objects.  There's an advanced lesson, I forgot which one, in the dojo if you need more on how to use two randomizers.  Hope this helps.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 02:54:59 PM »
Hmm.. yes. I forgot about that lesson in the Dojo. I think I should look back at that one again. Thank you. :)

Edit: So, looking at that lesson in the Dojo, between two objects I can have up to four possiblities (In this case, each outcome could be a different item appearing in either of the other two chests). Right now, the most common items in the chests are the Hammer Suit in one (I changed the Super Mushroom..) and the 1-Up in the other. It is extremely rare for the Fire Flower and the Leaf to appear.

Fun fact: The petals on the Flower stick out slightly from the chest. When I play the game in slow motion, I can tell which chest the Flower is in for a brief time before it teleports away, leaving the 1-Up

I think what I'm trying to say too is that I don't understand how I could get the switches to work with this one. The lesson in the Dojo only had 3 objects, on being affected by the switches of the other two. I have 4  objects that I want to work with, and I'm not seeing how the switches would help in this case.

If I set the switches to turn on when tapped, then there would never be a case where one of them was off. I could set one of them to the Starman maybe, but all three chests could be opened by then.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:44:20 PM by Toad »

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 01:08:58 AM »
Sorry again to double post, but now I'm facing a similar problem to before: I've got two Dummy objects now, and their switches randomly come on/off at the start of the game. I've given each item (Hammer, 1-Up, Fire, and Leaf) instructions telling them to warp away and leave the other item in the chest.

The trouble I'm having (again) is sometimes one of the chests will be randomly empty, or sometimes one will have two items in it. I've tried every combo of changing the instructions and the chests the items are in, but nothing seems to have worked.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »
Okay Toad, I've tried replicating your game and this is what I've come up with...

First of all, for the command I typed: "Starman Get!"  Just a suggestion.  ;)

I have three chest objects, CHEST1, CHEST2, and CHEST 3.  These are in your field and initially hold the items.  And then I have the winning object, STARMAN.  I made two objects that hold the non-winning items, LOSE OBJ1 and LOSE OBJ2.  Each of these two losing objects have four artworks: MUSHROOM, 1-UP, FLOWER, and COIN.  You can, of course, change these into any artworks you want.  I made WIN CHEST which looks identical to the starting chests.  This chest will eventually hold the STARMAN and once it has been tapped, it will turn its switch on and win the game.  I have RANDOM* (the asterisk means 'literally a star image') which determines which chest the STARMAN will end up and RAN ITEM1 and RAN ITEM2.  These two determine the art of the losing objects.

Here's the AI:

CHEST1
Start
Set art to CLOSED.
Locate (anywhere that the player can select it)
AI 1
When CHEST1 is tapped & While STARMAN switch is ON & While game is not yet won & While game is not yet lost
     End game in a loss.
     Change art to OPENED.
AI 2
When CHEST1 touches WIN CHEST
     Jump to (area where player cannot tap it)

The AI for CHEST2 and CHEST3 are identical.  So we have it so that the player loses when clicking on any of these chests.  But the game can be won because, as you will see later, I have arranged the winning chest, WIN CHEST, to jump to the location of the STARMAN.  When any of the starting chest touches WIN CHEST, it jumps off the screen.  You can also put your "winning chest animation" on WIN CHEST when the game is won.  I assume you want the player to lose the game for selecting the wrong chest: if you want to give him or her another chance you can always get rid of that line.  The reason why the regular chests cannot be opened until STARMAN's switch turns on is because within the time range of 1-1 to 1-4, the game's random generators are still operating.  This simply ensures that the player can't make a selection until all the random rubbish has been decided.

STARMAN
Start
Set art to STARMAN.
Attach to CHEST1.
AI 1
When time 1-2 is hit & While RANDOM* switch is ON & While STARMAN switch is OFF
     Turn STARMAN switch ON.
     Jump to CHEST2.
AI 2
When time 1-3 is hit & While RANDOM* switch is ON & While STARMAN switch is OFF
     Turn STARMAN switch ON.
     Jump to CHEST3.
AI 3
When time 1-4 is hit
     Turn STARMAN switch ON.
AI 4
When STARMAN touches WIN CHEST
     Stop traveling.

So the STARMAN always starts at CHEST1.  It looks at RANDOM* which can cause it to jump to CHEST2 or CHEST3.  If STARMAN jumps to another chest, it turns its own switch on to prevent it from always jumping to CHEST3 (because if the switch is on at 1-2, it will still be on by 1-3).  If the STARMAN stays at CHEST1, its switch will still be off, so I make sure it gets turned on in AI3 after the randomization has taken place so the game can be played.  In AI4, I have the STARMAN stop traveling because by default it is attached to a losing chest and I don't want it to fly offscreen with the losing chest.

LOSE OBJ1
Start
Set art to MUSHROOM.
Attach to CHEST2
AI 1
When LOSE OBJ1 touches STARMAN
     Jump to CHEST1.
AI 2
When time 1-2 is hit & While RAN ITEM1 switch is ON & While LOSE OBJ1 switch is OFF
     Turn LOSE OBJ1 switch ON
     Change art to 1-UP.
AI 3
When time 1-3 is hit & While RAN ITEM1 switch is ON & While LOSE OBJ1 switch is OFF
     Turn LOSE OBJ1 switch ON
     Change art to FLOWER.
AI 4
When time 1-4 is hit & While RAN ITEM1 switch is ON & While LOSE OBJ1 switch is OFF
     Turn LOSE OBJ1 switch ON
     Change art to COIN.

LOSE OBJ2's AI is identical, except it's attached to CHEST3 in its starting position and it looks at RAN ITEM2 instead of RAN ITEM1.  So both losing items are attached to CHEST2 and CHEST3.  If STARMAN jumps to one of them, the losing item takes STARMAN's initial place in CHEST1.

WIN CHEST
Start
Set art to CLOSED.
Locate at (a location where the player cannot tap it)
AI 1
When STARMAN switch turns ON
     Jump to STARMAN.
AI 2
When WIN CHEST is tapped & While game is not yet won & While game is not yet lost
     Turn WIN CHEST switch ON.
     Change art to OPENED.

Again, this is why I added that line to turn on STARMAN's switch--it needs to trigger WIN CHEST into action.

RANDOM*
Start
Set art to BLANK.
Locate at (anywhere since it's blank)
AI 1
When time from 1-1 to 1-3 is hit
     Turn RANDOM* switch ON.

The range is 1-1 to 1-3 because there are three possible chests to where the STARMAN can go.

RAN ITEM1
Start
Set art to BLANK.
Locate at (anywhere since it's blank)
AI 1
When time from 1-1 to 1-4 is hit
     Turn RAN ITEM1 switch ON.

The range is 1-1 to 1-4 because there are a total of four different possible images for LOSE OBJ1.  RAN ITEM2 has identical coding.

So there you go.  The only thing about this version is that LOSE OBJ1 and LOSE OBJ2 could both possibly be the same losing item (for instance, two Super Mushrooms in two different chests).  If you want to make sure that both losing objects do not have the same artwork, then we'd have to rethink the approach.  Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:56:47 PM by Fawful Fan »

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 08:20:16 PM »
Hooray! Crisis over, game finished! My internet was inexplicably down a bit ago when I wanted to check on this and try to work on the game, so I didn't get to try any of that stuff. I found a combo that worked: it had to do with checking that one lesson on switches and having four possibilities.

The thing I wanted to add was to have Mario power up when you tap one of the power ups (Hammer Suit, Leaf, and Flower) before or after finding the Starman. I don't know if having the two chests with pieces of art cycling through power ups (your idea) would have allowed me to add my easter egg like that, but I thank you for the suggestion.

I recall complaining about the Flower's petals sticking out, or the Leaf sticking out from behind the Suit, but I solved that too. I put the Suit in front of the Leaf and the 1-Up infront of the Flower, then went back to the graphics creation and added a thin white line to the outline of the Suit and 1-Up, making them wide enough to cover the Flower and Leaf. Now if there's more than one item in a chest, it won't matter. :)

Thanks for the help! :D

I wonder what kind of game to attempt to create next..? :)

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 06:34:49 PM »
Ok, so two new game ideas that I need help with please..

A character is walking in front of a door, and to win the game, just tap them when they are lined up with the door to go through the door. (I was thinking this one would take place in a SMB2 like setting with Toad as the star..)

A character needs to transform into something powerful to win the game. I want to have a meter somewhere on screen that tells you when you are able to transform into something powerful. If you mess it up, you transform into something comical and lose the game (this one would be similar to one from the first WarioWare game, I think it's called Zero to Hero. There's also one with an umbrella in WarioWare Smooth Moves that is similar.. I was thinking Tanooki Mario would star in this one..)

Ideas?

Print