Print

Author Topic: Games you think are perfect  (Read 17798 times)

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2011, 03:08:21 AM »
Actually, I think I'd do the same. I'd have the train be longer or at the very least introduce more missions to accomplish. It didn't seem like you were obligated to do much there.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »
I'd also label the blue shortcut pipes in the sewers.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »
And add one to Glitzville.  And I maintain that item/badge drops could be at least slightly more frequent without breaking the game.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
Nothing beyond simple geometric shapes and math could be called perfect. The idea that entertainment/artistic artifacts could be perfect with the level of subjectivity involved is a bit silly.

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
I'd also label the blue shortcut pipes in the sewers.

I would also make some of the bosses harder. I found the Magnus Von Grapple 2.0 battle to be far too simple because his most powerful attack is easy to avoid if you're using a level 2 Vivian.

The glorious thing about TTYD though is that you could always elect not to use the more powerful partners. Try playing the game from Chapter 1 onward using only Koops in battle and bam, you've got yourself an exponentially tougher hill to climb.

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 10:46:33 PM »
Guys, I don't think you understand what perfect means. This list of things you would change, while small things, is growing rather large for Perfect
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 02:01:29 AM »
This list of things you would change, while small things, is growing rather large for Perfect

I was extremely confused by that sentence at first, but I guess you mean to say we're making too many changes to what we conceive to be perfect games?

In Paper Mario's case, it's not really something of a design flaw. I could voluntarily make the game more difficult to my liking. That's a testament to its "perfection" in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:03:05 AM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2011, 12:36:27 PM »
Yeah, that's what I meant. Me not so gooder with the words-coming-out thingy.

I'm not personally a fan of games where I have to work to make it a challange. At least in the main game. Like, speed runs and stuff are their own thing, and that's fine. But if the enemies are just not strong or smart enough that you have to gimp yourself, that does come off as a flaw, no matter how much I enjoy the game. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »
I don't really count anything against PM2 in that regard because it USED to be harder. I feel more like I have mastered it. I'd feel cheated if it somehow kept up with me no matter how well I did. I can't imagine what a game would be like if, say, being good at it was punished with a blue explosion that instantly set you back a few marks?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
I found the game a lot easier when I started leveling up BP pretty much every level. Right now, on my second or third playthrough, I'm around level 30 with only 35 HP and 15 FP, and boss fights are usually over in about five turns.

TTYD pretty much has just the right amount of strategering for my tastes.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 03:31:15 AM »
I don't really count anything against PM2 in that regard because it USED to be harder.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It was actually pretty difficult when I was a kid, and it didn't help that I a) didn't level up my badge points and b) didn't look for badges.

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »
Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, WWF Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth, and Super Smash Bros Melee

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »
Hmmm... I disagree with DKC2. I bought that game from the Virtual Console, and it is far from perfect to me. Much of what I have played is confusing and frustrating in a bad way.

But Donkey Kong Country Returns I agree is near perfect. The level design is superb, everything is much clearer, and it manages to achieve being difficult in a good way.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

CrossEyed7

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 12:34:46 AM »
DKCR needs Classic Controller support and a roll button.

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »
There are a lot of games that I love very, VERY much, but I can't think of one that I'd call perfect.  Maybe the original arcade Donkey Kong?  The original Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man maybe?  The more complex a game is, the more likely there'll be little, minor things that kind of put me off.  But the trade-off is that the more complex a game is, the more likely it can provide a deep, immersive experience.  Those minor issues are nitpicks to be sure, but they still keep the game from "perfection."
Haters gonna hate

Print