Print

Author Topic: PlayStation... a monopoly?  (Read 3427 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: December 19, 2001, 02:27:19 PM »
I know this is hard to believe, but I think the PlayStation is trying to overrun the video-game industry. PlayStation 2 is already one of the fastest-selling consoles in the history of video-games, and with the backwards-compatability with PlayStation 1, it's no wonder their game library is so huge! PlayStation 2 already has about half the amount of games the PlayStation 1 has, and it's just getting bigger! And with the small amount of competition from Nintendo and Microsoft, I'm afraid that sooner or later PlayStation will eventually kill both Nintendo and Microsoft; forcing them to become third-party companies, just like they did to SEGA! I think that PlayStation already has more than enough games; and I also think that all this success is going to their heads! I mean, Sony is already the world-leading electronics manufacturer; and ever since they began making video-games in 1995, they have been nothing but trouble for Nintendo...

Now on the other side of the debate, Microsoft is doing very good. At least they are trying to let Nintendo showcase their new GAMECUBE by allowing them time to actually produce a fair amount of games. Microsoft is also being a good sport by letting Nintendo steal the spotlight for a few measly minutes. Now how's that for being a good competitor? Now that Microsoft is here with their Xbox, Nintendo finally has some decent competition and won't have to put up with the constant hassels from PlayStation and Crash Bandicoot! Microsoft is even allowing Capcom to make the entire Resident Evil series exclusive to the GAMECUBE! And not only that, but Nintendo has even said some good things about the Xbox; saying that it is good competition for them and it will help to boost sales of the GAMECUBE!

So to all the PlayStation lovers out there, go take your crap and toss it down the toilet!

Please post your opinions to this topic, because I'd be glad to hear from you guys about what you think...
---------------------------------------------
PlayStation sucks...
Microsoft is cool...
Nintendo is the best!
Remember these rules and you'll be a true Nintendo fan!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MICROSFT: Nintendo is so old, you should retire! You will fall to the wrath of Microsoft!

NINTENDO: Well, at least WE know how to make good games! Long live Nintendo!

SONY: I like cheese...
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2001, 02:54:34 PM »
I agree!  Playstation SUCKS!  They can't even make a single decent game!  Come on, like 50 million sports games, then some brutal fighting games.

If they were actually smart, they'd give Nintendo credit, because Nintendo started it all!  If it weren't for Nintendo, there would be no X-Box or Gimpstation.  Or sega, or anything else.  Now that they think they're better, they're too afraid to admit that Nintendo's the one who did it for them!

Can't Sony just continue to make Walkmans, and Watches, and Microsoft continue in the Computer series?  Pretty soon, even Book companies, and movie companies will all have consoles...and Nintendo's the only one with enough decency!

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2001, 05:04:46 PM »
Since when did Microsoft "let" anything happen? Microsoft isn't charge of any companies besides Microsoft (and Microsoft-owned companies), and Capcom isn't Microsoft-owned!  Capcom went to Nintendo on their own accord, because Nintendo is obviously the better company!  And also, Microsoft didn't "let" Nintendo have the upper hand either!  Would you "let" someone outsell you even when you have a 3 day head start?  No!  Microsoft doesn't want to lose even for a second!  Microsoft isn't a "good competitor"!  They just want money, just like any other company, and they want to drown out all competition in the process of getting that money!  Now, if only they could... but guess what? It's not gonna happen because Microsoft SUCKS!!!  Why on Earth would you call Sony a monopoly when it's a WELL-KNOWN FACT that Microsoft is the BIGGEST MONOPOLY OUT THERE?!!!  With a lack of exclusive, first party titles, neither X-Box or PS2 is going to do very well, especially now that Nintendo has as much 3rd-party support as everyone else.  I just don't see why you're praising the X-Box so much, and dissing the GameCube, constantly saying it's gonna fail when that simply isn't true!
What'chu talkin' bout, Dextah?

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2001, 09:05:04 PM »
I don't think Microsoft let Nintendo have Capcom.  Think about how dumb that statement is.  Capcom is one of the biggest 3rd parties with some of the biggest exclusive characters.  A choice like that believe it or not (if it really happened) would most likely be Microsoft's own destruction.  Because this move is a very big step Capcom leaning more to developing for Nintendo because once all of the bigger 3rd party names move over who is left to develop for the other systems?  The only real company Nintendo should try to get on their side but wont is Square.

-PCM

-----------------------------

http://nintendointense.4t.com
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2001, 06:26:26 AM »
I never dissed the GAMECUBE... All I'm trying to say is that Microsoft is a better competitor than Sony because they are just starting out; and Nintendo has just released their GAMECUBE...so the two companies can battle with what they have now instead of trying to beat an extremely popular system like the PlayStation...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MICROSFT: Nintendo is so old, you should retire! You will fall to the wrath of Microsoft!

NINTENDO: Well, at least WE know how to make good games! Long live Nintendo!

SONY: I like cheese...
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2001, 10:19:44 AM »
It's actually funny and ironic that most of you (particularly Mario Maniac) accused Sony or Microsoft (or both) for trying to monopolize the videogame industry when that's exactly what Nintendo did during the NES days. Nintendo was just as bad as Microsoft, in some cases worse. 3rd-party companies were forced to pay high royalties to Nintendo and most of the profits for 3rd-party software went directly to Nintendo. That's probably how many of the smaller companies went out of business.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2001, 03:39:33 PM »
I agree with Falcon.  Noone is really without blame in this industry.

The bottom line is that big companies are the best and the worst thing to happen to video games and electronics in general.  Big companies bring standards and lower prices, but they also flood the market with tons of poor cookie cutter games (ahem, Army Men?).

There's no reason to bash companies.  If you really want to see a change in the way games are made, get out there and do it yourself.  That sounds cheesy, but if enough gamers agree that quality should come before quantity, then the companies will (eventually) listen.
I want to be where the Yaks can run free;
Where the marmosets can attack me!

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2001, 06:00:04 PM »
The only reason I lot of people have it in Oakdale (were I live) is becuse it is the easiest to mount in trucks and cars.
But I am going toput a dreamcast in my Camaro
with a NES SNES and GB Emulators.

------------------------------
It is amazing what bordom does to you.
What has it done to you?
originalmtre@yahoo.com
www.geocities.com/originalmtre/
Sign da Guest book
Loyal Member since
   10/14/2001

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2001, 07:00:51 PM »
the only monopoly here is on the handheld industry, and Nintendo's ironclad grip on it. Poor Neo Geo Pocket never had a chance!
Thief, thief! Baggins! We hates it forever!

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2001, 08:58:33 AM »
I believe the GameBoy was simply one of the factors that killed off the Neo-Geo Pocket Color. The other factor was that SNK was a very incompetent company to begin with. Their marketing campaign was somewhat lousy to begin with and they would had still be in business if they had dropped the whole Neo-Geo hardware a few years back.

There are two sides to the videogame industry. The creative-side and the business-side. The creative-side is there to make sure that they produce a quality product, while the business side is there to assure that the product sells. While the creative side cares about making a product everybody can enjoy, the business-side simply cares about making money and outselling the competition.

While Hiroshi Yamauchi was slamming almost everyone in the videogame industry, Shigeru Miyamoto was actually saying good things about his competitor's systems. At one point (back when Sega was Nintendo's rival) he said that Sonic was one of the best Mario-inspired games while Yuji Naka (Sonic's co-creator) said that he holds Miyamoto in high regards and he doesn't like to compare himself with him. I even seen pictures Miyamoto playing Crash Bandicoot at the Tokyo Game Show once. The point is that it's alright to stick to one brand, but it's also absoludricous to bash the competition because of that.

For some reason, the American branches of Japanese companies are often more arrogant than their parent company.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2001, 09:26:23 AM »
ST Falcon, I don't believe these oafs are actually looking for intelligent answers. They're looking for things like, "Playstation games suck!" Or "Oh yeah, well so do Nintendo games!" What you're saying is really too much for their tiny minds to handle.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2001, 10:45:26 AM »
I guess you're right. These people probably don't even know that Nintendo actually has more than one development team such as Nintendo EAD, NST, Intelligent Systems and HAL. They simply think that Nintendo only has one big development team behind everything.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2001, 10:51:49 AM »
mario and crash should be buddies cause there both cool. death to xbox.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2001, 11:04:20 AM »
sony and nintendo should become one.

Print