Print

Author Topic: What makes SSBM a GREAT game?  (Read 1683 times)

« on: May 18, 2002, 10:17:05 AM »
What makes it so fun!? Is it the fact that finaly we get to see whos the best all around Nintendo character, or is it to see Nintendo guys beating the stuffing out of Pikachu and others? Ooooooor, is it finding ever single trophy in the game(I think I have 260 of them)? Why do we like these kinds of things? Well why do you like them?

By the supreme authority of wickedness, I command this particular drop of hot sauce to be realy, reealy hot!
He who fills his pockets with the rocks of misdeeds shall surely sink in the River of Good Fortune!

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2002, 04:30:24 PM »
Well, I'd have to explain afew things first. In fighting games, I think it's fun to get good with a character, learn his/her moves and sort of form a link with them. I don't like doing the same moves over and over, and I don't like cheap wins, like kicking someone in the foot to deplete the last of their life meter. In SSBM, I get to be Mario, which is great for me, since I already have that closeness with him. As you get better in the game, you can try harder things. You can try and get the trophies as you go along (I have 297 of them!), and you can work on the event modes. You can master Classic and Adventure modes, you can do Tournaments, and all the Special Modes. Once you beat enough stuff, you get to hear the wonderfully orchestrated music. I like doing team matches with my brother (Adam) as Mario and Luigi, I like big tournaments, things like that. Every fight presents a new challenge and every fight is fun.

Trying out different stages as you get better is fun, too. I'd say you have to have good maneuverability to fight well on the Big Blue stage, and you'd have to have patience and experience on the Rainbow Cruise stage. There are classed enemies and new ones introduced, the same with modes and stages. It never runs out of fun as you can change the items, hit ratio, etc. There are a million possiblities for fighting, and that just in "Melee".

Once you get good enough to you get down to the nitty gritty, like being one to carefully select your costume, or dodging a lot as a fast character, or becoming an expert with Mario's cape whip (I'm close!).

I couldn't say enough on this game. But, it is a fighting game, so naturally it lacks of the drama of games with more storyline. It's a connection from Luigi's Mansion to Super Mario Sunshine, in a way, and it's also fun enough that it isn't just "something to do".

And that's what I think. Ciao.

See how the mustache hides the slightly sad smile... and the sideburns, portraying his simple, blue-collar roots... and his legs, thick, wide, the legs of the masses!
Kickin' it since 2000.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2002, 04:30:54 PM »
E-gads, double-post.

I had a lot of typos up thar'.

See how the mustache hides the slightly sad smile... and the sideburns, portraying his simple, blue-collar roots... and his legs, thick, wide, the legs of the masses!

Edited by - Super Mario on 5/19/2002 3:33:03 PM
Kickin' it since 2000.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2002, 05:06:50 PM »
ssbm is a TOTALLY RAD GAME!!!

you can be a variety of your favorite nintendo characters, doing things you wish they could do in their REAL games

i wish link could fight like that in ocarina of time!

the best matches i have are one on one with my bro
we're both great, but i've had more practice
he picks a guy and i pick one i think can beat him, then whoever loses can't be that person anymore
but i also like working side by side with my bro against two level niners

i have 260-some odd trophies
keep smashin'

_0-/<______________
who wants to buy a skunkle?
_0-/<):________________
Y8FooD...well, you did

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2002, 08:05:12 PM »
I like melee because of the fact that no matter how many times you play it , it's always new. I think I like it most though because it's very fun to see the odds change. One person may be winning but with a well placed move they might not be ahead anymore.
       What I really hate is when people use cheap shots with Roy...and then at the last possible second you're knocked off the stage...

"To the World , you may be but one person.
But to one person , you may be the world."

"To the World , you may be but one person.
But to one person , you may be the world."

Print