Print

Author Topic: What the  (Read 4787 times)

« on: May 25, 2004, 01:25:25 PM »
What the heck is DS?  And please don't just tell me, please give me an explanation that I would understand, 'cause I don't speak the same language.

Edited by - Deezer on 5/25/2004 12:55:53 PM

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 01:42:26 PM »
The Nintendo DS is a new portable gaming system soon to be released by Nintendo.  By "gaming system" I mean that it is a piece of hardware used to play games, just like the Nintendo Gamecube, Game Boy Advance, Playstation 2, etc., are all gaming systems.  By "portable" I mean that you can take the system with you wherever you go and play games on it without having to hook it up to a television. In this way, the DS will be similar to the Game Boy Advance, because the Game Boy Advance is portable.

What distinguishes the DS from other portable gaming systems such as the Game Boy Advance is that the DS will have two screens which will display images simultaneously while a game is running.  Other gaming systems have only one screen (as is the case with the Game Boy Advance), or have no screens but are designed to connect to a single television to use the television as a screen (as is the case with the Nintendo Gamecube).

The other unique feature of the Nintendo DS is that some games can be controlled by touching different areas on one of the two game screens.  The system will be able to detect where the screen was touched and will respond in some way, just as the system might respond when a certain button is pushed on a traditional gaming system.

The Nintendo DS also features buttons, so not all games on the DS will necessarily use the touch-sensitive screen to control gameplay.  Some games might use just buttons, others might use just the touch screen, and others might use both the buttons and the touch screen to control gameplay.

Does that help?

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:33:11 PM »
Check out an article I created about it. It should explain it for you pretty well.

I   fear   nothing!

= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 03:48:52 PM »
Whoa, DS works in "hamrony perfeclty?!" COOL

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 06:30:10 PM »
The fact that it works in, translated, perfect harmony, IS in fact pretty darn cool, MEGABYTE, assuming that is a true fact.

Not that Nintendo would release it if it didn't; they'd just keep pushing it back.

"Word I was in the house alone,
Somehow must have gotten abroad:
Word I was in my life alone.
Word I had no one left but God."
Kickin' it since 2000.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 07:45:24 PM »
Thank you for pointing that out. I took care of some of those typos.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 08:59:29 PM »
Oui! Nintendo is releasing ANOTHER gaming system!?! Hmm... let's see...

1. Gameboy - Monochrome, small screen, not very portable, 4 batteries

2. Gameboy Pocket - Monochrome, small screen portable

3. Gameboy Color - Color, small screen, portable, new games

4. Gameboy Advance - Color, adjustable color w/ monochrome games, 50% larger screen, portable, new games, 36(?)-bit

5. Gameboy Advance SP - Color, adjustable color w/ monochrome games, large screen, extra portable, self-lit screen, rechargable batteries, no headphone jack, uncomfortable holding position

6. Nintendo DS (what's known) - Color, large screen, extra portable, rechargable batteries, same holding position as SP, duo screens, touch-sensitive screen

Six portables by Nintendo. Wow.

-----------------------------
Has anyone her ever wondered why we kill each other over arguments about games? Well, I geuss it is Mario, so it''s OK!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 09:54:56 PM »
> Game Boy - not very portable
WHAT?!  How was it not portable?

GBA is 32-bit BTW.

There have been quite a few more portables by Nintendo if you include Game & Watch series.

Also, did you know that Nintendo released an indiglo version of Game Boy Pocket in Japan called Game Boy Light?

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 04:04:54 PM »
Can't put it in your pocket?

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 06:48:41 PM »
Ironically, pockets tend to be bigger now than they were before (cargo style is popular), so the original GB certainly fits in pockets.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 07:05:07 PM »
And another advantage of the Game Boy Pocket was that it took 3 Triple A batteries rather than 4 double A batteries.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 07:10:02 PM »
Er, 2 Triple A, not 3.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2004, 06:28:44 AM »
"pockets tend to be bigger now than they were before..."

Yes, but when I develop my "super-tight 80s jeans" ray gun... ...that will change... *maniacal laughter accompanies*

"Word I was in the house alone,
Somehow must have gotten abroad:
Word I was in my life alone.
Word I had no one left but God."
Kickin' it since 2000.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2004, 09:00:10 AM »
Heh.  That was a little creepy.  Actually, I enjoy creepiness now and then.  Good job, Super Mario.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, especially if you have good aim!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2004, 02:09:51 PM »
Yes, that 4 batteries requirement was stupid because it only actually drained 2 of them.  On top of that, the system easily functions off of only 3V DC when using a power supply ( = 2 AA ).

Print