Print

Author Topic: New Nintendo DS design  (Read 11710 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: July 28, 2004, 01:50:07 AM »
New NCL Website

NOA Press Release

NOE Press Release

Big image 1

href="http://patpend.net/features/nintendo/ds-new-2.jpg">Big image 2

href="http://patpend.net/features/nintendo/ds-logo.jpg">Logo

Key points:

• Redesigned to sport a slimmer, sharper look.

• Features a thinner, black base
    and an angular platinum flip-top cover

• Face buttons and shoulder
    buttons are larger, and some have been reconfigured for optimum use

• Includes a new storage slot for the touch screen's stylus

• The speakers now broadcast in stereo sound with or without headphones

• Developer support list for the DS is now 100 software companies strong. There are over 120 titles currently in development with at least 20 of them coming from Nintendo themselves.

• System name is finalized as Nintendo DS. (note the trademark)

Nintendo will announce the launch date, price and game lineup for Nintendo DS at a later date.

Edited by - MEGAߥTE on 7/28/2004 7:22:36 PM

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 07:45:32 AM »
w000000000000000000t.

Six thumbs up.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:21:11 AM »
I think I need to change my pants.

.tneb ytilaeR dna dewols emiT
.tnew namggE eht no dna no tuB

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 10:04:19 AM »

Is that power button for the second screen, backlight, or something else.  There also appears to be a sliding switch on the bottom left edge that I hope is the over all power switch because the button over the cross d-pad would be too easy to press by mistake.  I am 99% sure that this is a nonissue, but wanted to be 100%.

Random Signature

Edited by - lUiGiSon on 7/28/2004 10:44:19 AM

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 12:17:22 PM »
Stop making me want it!

''Procrastinate now. Don’t put it off.'' -Ellen Degeneres
Your sig is annoying. -Deezer

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 02:27:55 PM »
Heh, already saw it on Spymac.com!
Old news.

____
My Wario''s on fire!
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 06:50:21 PM »
Oh man, and I just put on fresh underwear too.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 08:21:44 PM »
WLM: This was posted here before it was on Spymac, so you may shut your hole.

Luigison: I enhanced the contrast on the image and I still don't know what the things on the bottom are... there's a small rectangular hole right next to the headphone jack, and on the other side there's something that *might* be some sort of slide control, but the part that might slide is in the whole, making rather hard to slide... so if it does indeed slide then there might be a piece of plastic missing that goes above that ... maybe Nintendo made it so dark because they didn't want people to see that part yet (just as they have released no images of the back ports yet).  There isn't any volume control labelled in the picture, so it's likely to go down there somewhere.  I don't know if the top is the power button... it would make more sense for it to be a light button, but there are no details regarding this.  David noted sharp aliasing around the buttons, which means these pictures might just be mockups.  Another weird thing is the two holes on the front opposite of the one hole marked MIC.  I really don't know what that might be...(if it's a stereo mic, then why are there two holes on one side).  The little metallic looking things on the top part look like they could be magnetic to hold the case shut better, but there's nothing to substantiate that.

More thoughts... The GBA/expansion port on the bottom might be trouble for devices like cameras because of the awkward way you'd likely have to hold it.  The larger, more round buttons are a big plus... they look more like Super Famicom buttons rather than N64 C-buttons now.  I'm also gald they took out the indentedness of the controls to give full space for the thumbs; that was something I really disliked on the GBA SP.  I do have concerns about the new screen design... the two screens are styled differently from each other, which might draw focus in the wrong direction... the black "stripe" of the old design was better in that case instead of the indented lower screen.  With the new style, I think the bottom corners could be a little more rounded so they won't dig into the palms.  I also think the top is slightly more susceptible to breakage and definitely scratching... hopefully they'll make it available in solid colors instead of painted-on platinum...  In all, I think the new design is much better than the "brick" that was the first.  It's too bad they didn't add an analog "nub," but then they probably would have had to add two... I still don't know how well 3D games will play with a digital pad, though...
Oddly, the first design looked pretty similar to the Sharp Wizard, and the new design looks more like the Sharp Zaurus.  Of course, people have noted that the new design looks suspisciously like the Lambourghini Countach...  Finally, there still remains the question of PictoChat... there are good indications that this will be built into the device and you can switch from a game to it while utilizing multiplayer.  Hopefully, they'll also add built in GB/GBC emulator, and of course, Mario Bros.

Edited by - MEGAߥTE on 7/28/2004 7:31:03 PM

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 12:55:33 PM »

I think the the small square things on the
top of the new DS are simply rubber
stops like the round grey ones on the SP
that are there so the top and bottom
don't rub.  

While I agree that the new DS is cooler
looking, I think the curved and angled
edges of the original DS might be easier
to hold.  I also prefer the sliding
power switch, but again am not sure what
the power button on the DS
controls.

Image deleted because a big image was already linked in the first post.  My bad.

Now that's a BIG pic of the new DS.  I
wonder where the stylus goes.  Maybe in
one of the things that look like holes
on the bottom right.  The round one
looks like the right size, but it is
more likely a headphone/mic socket.

Will the stylus for the DS be something
like the one for the Zodiac?

Check out the side by side comparison of the
E3 DS and the new DS on IGN at
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/534/534141p1.html

Random Signature

Edited by - lUiGiSon on 7/29/2004 8:06:41 PM

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 08:54:12 PM »
Umm why'd you post the big IGN picture when I linked to the original image without stupid IGN logo in my first post?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 09:11:15 PM »
Post edited.  I regret... Oh a shiny new... And a...  NO! Nasty, that wasn't an M&M.

Luigison

• Old Person™

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 05:24:13 PM »
Add in Nintendo itself and you get a list of 33 companies with 72 titles.

Edited by - MEGAߥTE on 8/4/2004 4:27:17 PM

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 05:32:45 PM »
Maybe they are only going to sell the Nintendo games in Japan, or you can't count.

EDIT: Hey, MEGAߥTE can add.

Poor partial Babel Fish translation of above list.

Random Signature

Edited by - lUiGiSon on 8/4/2004 4:36:01 PM

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 05:46:01 PM »
"News - perm Rio brothers" LOL

Print