Print

Author Topic: The Top 10 Reasons the PS2 prevails.  (Read 2527 times)

« on: September 23, 2004, 06:06:49 PM »
The, now why didn't I use commen sense and think of this, list!!

1:  Internet Ability.  Today the interenet is a crucial part to all video games.  It alows for purpetual play again people, without the hassle of inviting them over.

2: Design.  The design of the PS2 matches that of other electronic midia.  Unlike the Game-Cube and X-Box which are bolbus cubes.  Rather the a sleak rectangle.

3:  Backwards compatability.  Neither Game-Cube nor X-Box can play past systems.  All playstation games every are playable on this 1 system.  So chuck the old one, to by the new one.  Then still play old games!  How much more finicialy sound can you be?

4:  DVD/CD  Playbility.  Nothing sucks more than getting a CD with your game, then finding out your system can't handle it.  And on those camping trips when you're out in the cabins with an old crap TV, why bring two systems in your lugage, when your trust PS2 is at hand?  The PS2 can hanlde 4 midea realms.  PS2, PS1, DVD, CD.  How many can the Game-Cube and X-Box handle?  Oviously the PS2 has the most functionality.

5: The controler?  If it aint broke, why fix it?  Who else has noticed how great the SNES controler was?  It was perfect in its time.  So why not just add 2 Joy-sticks, and another L and R, rename y,x,a,b, to square circle triangle and X and you got yourself a 3-D SNES controler, PS1 and PS2.  Unlike the X-Box the overload you with far too amny buttons, and the gamecube who's A is five time's the size as it's B.  What the heck kind of porptioning is that?  Trust PS2, all 4 basic button are the same size, and easy to remember where.

6:  M-rated games.  Lets see, Where is Vice City?  Where is Mortal Kombat Deception?  MONTHS behind the PS2 and X-Box release.  And LOOK!  The crappy Game-Cube can't even go online with it!  THe first online MK and it can't go one line, HOW LAME!  Where is Twisted Metal, oh yes Playstation.  How many times have wee seen"For playstation 2 and X-Box,"  and the Game-Cube is either 3 months behind or not comeing.  And if it comes it can't go online and is crap in comparasin.  THe only good rated M game for Game-Cube is Eternal Darkness, and I would buy it for PS2 if it was avaiable, heck, it's basicaly the only reason I drag the Game-Cube out now days.

7:  Populiarty.  Let us be vain and honist for a moment.  Who here would honistly go into your High-School and admit openly that you own the kiddy game cube?  The Game Boy Empire is strong and vibrant.  It has stood the test of time.  And many our proud to boast their game-boys.  But you'd be laughed out of the room if you bragged about a system the didn't even have Vice-City!!!  So, in honisty, isn't video games suposed to be social, how can we be social with a purple system that looks like a box that hardly spills a drop of blood!

8:  Easy to develop for?  If it's see easy to develop for, how come only Nintendo makes games for it?  Is it because it's unpopular to other compainies, because it can't go online, or because everyone just wants to shy away from the "E" rated system with their blood and guns.

9:  And how about networking?  PS2 can network other PS2's together and have one gaint game, without going online!  This always for multiple players in one house, or perhaps even a club to host a jaint play seseion.

10:  Games for young people.  Most people think PS2 is adult only.  It's not.  It has Spnge Bob and Spiral, and a lot of kick-butt games for the kiddies too.  Heck, some of them I like.  Every try Kingdom Hearts?  Oh wait, yet another game the Game-Cube lacks, sry.

Overal, the ranking is this.
PS2
Game-Boy
X-Box
Game-Cube.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 06:35:33 PM »
Wow, some of your reasons are really dumb.
Here are some reasons why!

1. I tell people I have a Gamecube anytime the question pops up and I am not persecuted for it.
2. Your grammar sucks.
3. Nintendo makes the best games in the industry(I will admit this is a matter of opinion), and keeps them Gamecube exclusive so there is more reason to own the GC.
4. Just because a game is rated Mature doesn't mean it's a good game. On the contrary, it usually means it's an almost plotless gore festival.

Final Thought: I'm not bashing the PS2. I like the system, I'm just defending the Gamecube. In this multi-platform gamer's opinion, the PS2 does not prevail.

Egg Power

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 06:48:24 PM »
This made me laugh, especially the last one.

"I''m a stupid fatty who swings his arms from side to side and pushes a button to receive bacon. The universe is permeated with the odor of Shawne Vinson. Does that make me a nut?"- DotheLizardkoopaChupVinsonluigi
This is a secret coded message.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 07:54:33 PM »
Hey, PS2Krueger, wake up to THIS YEAR.

The Console wars are OVER. You can easily see that no one bashes other consoles anymore. They either don't talk about it or say it's just the console they wouldn't get.

Now, I have nothing aginst the PS2 or Xbox, but a lot of people here hate both systems. You can get your head chewed off by people here if you say anything like this.

Also, a lot of us here are well spoken (Except for uvg and Shawne).

Also, you can tell that we don't like many M Rated games here. I know I don't. Sure, I'll I enjoy the occaisional shoot-em-up or fighting game from time to time, but usually I just get games that are E or T.

Further more, Gamecube has been appealing to older audiences as well. A lot of people here are as old as 20 and up, and enjoy Nintendo.

I think I've spoken enough...
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 07:54:45 PM »
3: Backwards compatability. Neither Game-Cube nor X-Box can play past systems. All playstation games every are playable on this 1 system. So chuck the old one, to by the new one. Then still play old games! How much more finicialy sound can you be?

First of all, you can't spell. Second of all, the PS2 isn't as backwards compatible as you think. The major problem I've had with my PS2 is the fact that when we got it, it had two memory cards: a PS1 memory card and a PS2 memory card. We found out that you can't use a PS1 memory card for PS2 games(obviously); unfortunately, it's the same thing with PS2 memory cards and PS1 games. Stupid memory cards.

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
....v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.<•>_<•>

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 08:13:29 PM »
HA HA HA HA !!

1. The Internet is hardly crucial for any games, save two or three. Your point is void since most PS2 games don't have internet capability.

2. Design really doesn't come into play, and besides, why is it important to have a console that looks like your VCR?

3. The PS2 isn't capable of playing some PS1 games. Your point is invalid.

4. I can think of things that are a lot worse than not being somewhere without a CD player.

5. The controller is a SNES clone, yes.

6. Oh wow, blood and gore. Yeah, everyone needs more of that. *rolls eyes* What's the point of playing a game for the sole purpose of violence and bloody graphics?

7. Lots of people I know like the GameCube.

8. Well since lots of companies make games for GCN, that pretty much ends your argument right there. For your information, PS2 is currently the hardest system to program for, I believe.

9. I'm sure you know GameCubes are quite capable of networking as well.

10. The other systems have games "for young people" too. I don't see your point.

The PS2 is a fine system, but the GCN is at least equally good.

This topic is closed.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 08:34:22 PM »
There have been so many of these threads! Why do people make an account on TMK just to diss the GameCube and Nintendo? Why don't you make one on GameFAQs or IGN? You people are so oppionated it makes me puke! Here are some answers to your bashes.

~~~1: Internet Ability. Today the interenet is a crucial part to all video games. It alows for purpetual play again people, without the hassle of inviting them over.~~~

Internet Ability? Come on! Both X-Box and GameCube have online compatibility, stupid! Also for internet access over the PS2 it costs way too much!
///
~~~2: Design. The design of the PS2 matches that of other electronic midia. Unlike the Game-Cube and X-Box which are bolbus cubes. Rather the a sleak rectangle.~~~

This has got to be the dumbest reason! Just because the GameCube is shaped like a... cube doesn't mean its a stupid console! I think that the GCN is more portable than the PS2, and the X-Box's design is very similar to that of the PS2's. How many people do you see not buying a system due to its shape?
///
~~~3: Backwards compatability. Neither Game-Cube nor X-Box can play past systems. All playstation games every are playable on this 1 system. So chuck the old one, to by the new one. Then still play old games! How much more finicialy sound can you be?~~~

This is probably one of the PS2's highest points. The backwards compatibility is actually very finicially corteous. However, X-Box does not need a backwards compatibility because Microsoft doesn't even have any previous T.V. consoles and being able to play computer games on an X-Box isn't even good because of the lack of buttons. Many people don't even notice nor care that the GameCube is not backwards compatible.
///
~~~4: DVD/CD Playbility. Nothing sucks more than getting a CD with your game, then finding out your system can't handle it. And on those camping trips when you're out in the cabins with an old crap TV, why bring two systems in your lugage, when your trust PS2 is at hand? The PS2 can hanlde 4 midea realms. PS2, PS1, DVD, CD. How many can the Game-Cube and X-Box handle? Oviously the PS2 has the most functionality.~~~

First of all, X-Box can also play Music CD's and DVD's. I, for one, do believe that Nintendo should have made the GCN compatible with Music Cd's and DVD's. HOWEVER! While some people would waste 180-200 dollars on a PS2 or X-Box for its DVD capabilities, I wouldn't. I buy the system for the games, not the movies.
///
~~~5: The controler? If it aint broke, why fix it? Who else has noticed how great the SNES controler was? It was perfect in its time. So why not just add 2 Joy-sticks, and another L and R, rename y,x,a,b, to square circle triangle and X and you got yourself a 3-D SNES controler, PS1 and PS2. Unlike the X-Box the overload you with far too amny buttons, and the gamecube who's A is five time's the size as it's B. What the heck kind of porptioning is that? Trust PS2, all 4 basic button are the same size, and easy to remember where.~~~

GameCube has less buttons than the PS2, for Pete's sake! The B is smaller than the A! So what!? The B is actually in a very easy to get to place, and I believe that GameCube button positions are easier to memorize than PS2. PS2 has 12 total bottons counting START plus three joysticks. That ain't easy! Either way, all the controllers may have a number of buttons but EVERYONE gets used to them sometime or another.
///
~~~6: M-rated games. Lets see, Where is Vice City? Where is Mortal Kombat Deception? MONTHS behind the PS2 and X-Box release. And LOOK! The crappy Game-Cube can't even go online with it! THe first online MK and it can't go one line, HOW LAME! Where is Twisted Metal, oh yes Playstation. How many times have wee seen"For playstation 2 and X-Box," and the Game-Cube is either 3 months behind or not comeing. And if it comes it can't go online and is crap in comparasin. THe only good rated M game for Game-Cube is Eternal Darkness, and I would buy it for PS2 if it was avaiable, heck, it's basicaly the only reason I drag the Game-Cube out now days.~~~

M-rated games? GameCube has some, and yes, most M-Rated games result in horrible or no plot line at all. Yes, I believe that GTA is a good M game, but it is also for computer. The GameCube is in no way "Kiddie." It has its fair share of T and M rated Games. If someone buys games only for their rating, I pity them. Just because a game has no blood, guts and gore doesn't make it a bad game (nor does a game WITH BG&G make a GOOD game.) Very, very few old-school games like NES games have gor and a lot of people played these. Mario has been loved by many for some time now. Even my 20-year-old brother would rather play "Dr. Mario" or "Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine" instead of Mortal Kombat. Get a better reason.
///
~~~7: Populiarty. Let us be vain and honist for a moment. Who here would honistly go into your High-School and admit openly that you own the kiddy game cube? The Game Boy Empire is strong and vibrant. It has stood the test of time. And many our proud to boast their game-boys. But you'd be laughed out of the room if you bragged about a system the didn't even have Vice-City!!! So, in honisty, isn't video games suposed to be social, how can we be social with a purple system that looks like a box that hardly spills a drop of blood!~~~

This is the WORST, STUPIDEST reason I have even layed eyes on! Almost nobody (except for this rich snobby kids) brags that they own a PS2 or X-Box, or even an Atari! They may mention it but they do not brag. And yes, I could go into a high and admit to everyone that I own a GameCube! There is no shame in that! Lots of people own a GameCube, even if you think they don't, INCLUDING Middle, High and even College students! Hardly spills a drop of blood... this may be somewhat true but please give me a break. Ever heard of Turok? That game is harsh. There is a list. Trust me.
///
~~~8: Easy to develop for? If it's see easy to develop for, how come only Nintendo makes games for it? Is it because it's unpopular to other compainies, because it can't go online, or because everyone just wants to shy away from the "E" rated system with their blood and guns.~~~

There is a wide ist of other companies that make games for the GameCube. Namco, Hal Lab, Activision, Ubi Soft... I could go on forever. And companies like Activision and Ubi Soft make those so called "mature" games. You think that Nintendo is the only compeny that will make games for the GCN? You are WAY wrong.
///
~~~9: And how about networking? PS2 can network other PS2's together and have one gaint game, without going online! This always for multiple players in one house, or perhaps even a club to host a jaint play seseion.~~~

You don;t know how wrong you are. Both GCN and X-Box have cables to connect two systems together. All three Next-Gen systems have this compatibility. Not just PS2. Sorry, man, but you are just too wrong. I rest my case.
///
~~~10: Games for young people. Most people think PS2 is adult only. It's not. It has Spnge Bob and Spiral, and a lot of kick-butt games for the kiddies too. Heck, some of them I like. Every try Kingdom Hearts? Oh wait, yet another game the Game-Cube lacks, sry.~~

Do you know how abnoxious that sounds? GCN may lack great games like Kingdom Hearts, but so does X-Box. Ever heard of single-console games? All the consoles have them. Yes, PS2 has games like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X, but GCN has ALL of the Mario games plus other good games like Super Smash Bros. Melee (which is teen rated, might I add) and X=Bpx has games like Halo and even Roller Coaster Tycoon! (A lot of console games are also for PC/Macintosh)
///
Overall, all the systems have their own pros and cons, trust me. Krueger, you just go around willie-nillie thinking you know everything about GCN and PS2 (and X-Box) but you don't! I'm not saying I do, either, but you are make a lot of opionated accusations and void comments. 1, 2, 5, 7, 8 and 9 are all void. They are either not true or completely oppinionated. I hope you have learned something today, Krueger. Note that I am defending the GameCube (and the X-Box). I am not dissing the PS2. Its a good system and all, but I'm just trying to make you realize that the GCN is not the worst console this planet has ever seen. The PS2 is byfar not the best system, neither is the GameCube (I guess), they are all equally matched.

------------------------------
As an answer to Meowrik''s sig: After the McChefs tear off all of the loose meat that we normally eat, they scrape the leftover meat on the bones off and into the breading. My Bro told me (he worked there) and Chup says that he''s probably right.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 10:49:16 PM »
"1: Internet Ability. Today the interenet is a crucial part to all video games. It alows for purpetual play again people, without the hassle of inviting them over."

Crucial? Hardly. I will admit that it is popular, and can even be quite enjoyable, but when you say it's crucial to all video games, I tend to believe you're wrong. Especially, when most PS2 games don't have internet support.

"2: Design. The design of the PS2 matches that of other electronic midia. Unlike the Game-Cube and X-Box which are bolbus cubes. Rather the a sleak rectangle."

Heh, if I recall, Nintendo Power said just the opposite with their list. It's personal opinion. When I moved into my college dorm, I found Nintendo's "bulbus[sic] cube" design, and "sporty handle" very much more desirable than my "sleak[sic] rectangle's" surface area. I like the GCN's design, as much, or more than the PS2. Invalid.

"3: Backwards compatability. Neither Game-Cube nor X-Box can play past systems. All playstation games every are playable on this 1 system. So chuck the old one, to by the new one. Then still play old games! How much more finicialy sound can you be?"

True. The backwards compatibility is a very nice feature. However, if we're going to be talking strictly in financial matters, what need was there to sell your old system when the GCN was over $100 cheaper to begin with?

"4: DVD/CD Playbility. Nothing sucks more than getting a CD with your game, then finding out your system can't handle it. And on those camping trips when you're out in the cabins with an old crap TV, why bring two systems in your lugage, when your trust PS2 is at hand? The PS2 can hanlde 4 midea realms. PS2, PS1, DVD, CD. How many can the Game-Cube and X-Box handle? Oviously the PS2 has the most functionality."

Yes, this is one of the biggest arguments out there for in favor for the PS2. It's a nice feature, again, but it still has little worth in terms of gaming, you know, the reason you bought the system.

"5: The controler? If it aint broke, why fix it? Who else has noticed how great the SNES controler was? It was perfect in its time. So why not just add 2 Joy-sticks, and another L and R, rename y,x,a,b, to square circle triangle and X and you got yourself a 3-D SNES controler, PS1 and PS2. Unlike the X-Box the overload you with far too amny buttons, and the gamecube who's A is five time's the size as it's B. What the heck kind of porptioning is that? Trust PS2, all 4 basic button are the same size, and easy to remember where."

If it isn't broken, why fix it. With that sort of mentality we wouldn't even have a PS2. Or PSX, or GCN, or X-box, or SNES, or NES. But, this is about controllers.

The SNES controller, you claim, wasn't broken. And I agree. Yet, by that philosophy, the PSX/2 went ahead and "fixed" it anyway. By adding Joy-sticks (After the N64 established that, might I add), and the extra triggers, Sony did, infact, re-invent what already existed.

The GCN controller fits like a glove. I dare say it's the only controller I am able to say that about. If you're having trouble remembering where the buttons are, I'd say you need to leave that Straw man alone.

"6: M-rated games. Lets see, Where is Vice City? Where is Mortal Kombat Deception? MONTHS behind the PS2 and X-Box release. And LOOK! The crappy Game-Cube can't even go online with it! THe first online MK and it can't go one line, HOW LAME! Where is Twisted Metal, oh yes Playstation. How many times have wee seen"For playstation 2 and X-Box," and the Game-Cube is either 3 months behind or not comeing. And if it comes it can't go online and is crap in comparasin. THe only good rated M game for Game-Cube is Eternal Darkness, and I would buy it for PS2 if it was avaiable, heck, it's basicaly the only reason I drag the Game-Cube out now days."

Yes, the PS2 has a wider variety of M-rated games, though none of the games you've listed really help prove your argument -- at least, if you meant good games, but it doesn't really matter. Where the GCN loses in that department, it destroys any competition in the "All Audiences" categories. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pikmin obliterate any opposition.

"7: Populiarty. Let us be vain and honist for a moment. Who here would honistly go into your High-School and admit openly that you own the kiddy game cube? The Game Boy Empire is strong and vibrant. It has stood the test of time. And many our proud to boast their game-boys. But you'd be laughed out of the room if you bragged about a system the didn't even have Vice-City!!! So, in honisty, isn't video games suposed to be social, how can we be social with a purple system that looks like a box that hardly spills a drop of blood!"

Actually, with my graduating senior class, I found GameCube to be the preferred system out of the three. We held Smash Brothers Tournies, and even on campus, guess which game is the most popular in the "Electronic Gaming Society". Yeah, it was SSBM. No one there is ashamed of liking the GCN. And no one should be.

"8: Easy to develop for? If it's see easy to develop for, how come only Nintendo makes games for it? Is it because it's unpopular to other compainies, because it can't go online, or because everyone just wants to shy away from the "E" rated system with their blood and guns."

I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps it's because Sony offers superior support. I'm not part of the industry, and so, I have no idea about this one.

"9: And how about networking? PS2 can network other PS2's together and have one gaint game, without going online! This always for multiple players in one house, or perhaps even a club to host a jaint play seseion."

And so can the GameCube. And, in my opinion, the GCN has better games for it.

"10: Games for young people. Most people think PS2 is adult only. It's not. It has Spnge Bob and Spiral, and a lot of kick-butt games for the kiddies too. Heck, some of them I like. Every try Kingdom Hearts? Oh wait, yet another game the Game-Cube lacks, sry."

KH was a good game, but the PS2 doesn't have a franchise like Mario. Srry [sic] PS2, you lose this one.

EDIT: Bah, if I had known two others were made, I wouldn't have posted this. But, I guess that's what I get for starting it, and finishing it up later. Meh.

Edited by - Black Mage on 9/23/2004 9:50:57 PM

Print