Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 476376 times)

« Reply #1905 on: October 16, 2010, 08:19:49 PM »
I don't know anymore, I'm confusing myself. I'm just going to leave it at the games are fun to play. I'll leave it to someone else to make sense out of them.

« Reply #1906 on: November 11, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
Has Nintendo ever given some sort of rationale for changing Princess Toadstool's name to Princess Peach, King Koopa to Bowser, Bloobers to Bloopers, etc.?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1907 on: November 11, 2010, 08:05:23 PM »
Well, in SM64, doesn't she write "Sincerly, Princess Toadstool... 'Peach'"? I figure(d) that either Toadstool is a ceremonial title or her nickname is Peach. As for Koopa/Bowser, I think he's either "Bower Koopa", "Bowser the Koopa", or King Koopa is--once again--a ceremonial title.

I remember getting confused about that issue a bit when, in M&L:BiS, it was "Bowser Castle", not "Bowser's Castle".
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1908 on: November 11, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »
What I'm wondering, though, is why they made those switches. If Bloobers became Bloopers, why shouldn't Goombas have become Goompas*?

*Paper Mario character of that name nonwithstanding

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1909 on: November 11, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
because

Anyway. Nintendo of America is dumb, so they decided to change Peach's name to Toadstool when the original SMB came out to fit with the whole "Mushroom" theme. Eventually they wised up and realized that Peach is a way cooler name.

Bowser has always been Bowser's American name though. They didn't ever change it here. It's always been Koopa in Japan and it's always been Bowser here. (A lot of people seem to think he was Koopa in SMB, but the manual clearly calls him Bowser. I guess whoever made the cartoons wasn't paying attention.)
That was a joke.

« Reply #1910 on: November 12, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
Koopa is his family surname, and since his full name is King Bowser Koopa (or I guess just Bowser Koopa in the cartoons), then calling him Koopa in the cartoons wouldn't be too far from correct.

What confused me about the cartoons is why they claimed the SMB2 enemies worked for Bowser (Mouser, Birdo, and such), but still had some of the game mechanics in the cartoon (throwing veggies, sometimes the jumping sfx, and other such things) yet they made no mention of Subcon or Wart that I can think of.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1911 on: November 12, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »
Marketing, I'd figure. They had to have Bowser as the villain, but they also had to have stuff from the most recent game.

In-universe, it's not really that big of a problem, since Shy Guys and Birdos clearly exist in the Mushroom World as well as in Sub-Con. If Sub-Con was just a dream, then it'd make sense for Mario to have nightmares about the enemies that tried to kill him when he was a baby. If it's some kind of alternate reality (I tend to think of it as a completely pliable universe which everyone goes to when they're asleep, and which was also the setting of Link's Awakening), then whatever.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1912 on: November 12, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »
Well, hadn't there only really been two SMB games when the show came out? I mean, they had to really leave no reference unused.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1913 on: November 14, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure the Super Show was in production while Super Mario 2 was in the process of being localized. I always figured they streamlined it and combined Bowser and Wart into one character, which is why King Koopa is all green and wears a crown on his head.

The other thing I'd like to point out is that SMB2 wasn't just a dream. Heck, the game even has a direct sequel in the form of BS Super Mario USA.

« Reply #1914 on: November 15, 2010, 01:07:29 AM »
Perhaps the events of SMB2 were a dream, though. It's like one of us having a dream about going to North Korea to take out Kim Jong-il.

« Reply #1915 on: November 15, 2010, 03:55:30 PM »
Hi, guys! I'm a newbie. :)

Anyhoo:

Anyway. Nintendo of America is dumb, so they decided to change Peach's name to Toadstool when the original SMB came out to fit with the whole "Mushroom" theme. Eventually they wised up and realized that Peach is a way cooler name.
Why is everyone always so quick to hate on Nintendo of America? They've made some decent contributions to the Mario franchise (Mario's Time Machine not being one of them, but still). Fun Fact: Did you know that it was Nintendo of America who gave Mario his name (after deciding to change it from Jumpman)?

Bowser has always been Bowser's American name though. They didn't ever change it here. It's always been Koopa in Japan and it's always been Bowser here. (A lot of people seem to think he was Koopa in SMB, but the manual clearly calls him Bowser. I guess whoever made the cartoons wasn't paying attention.)
I just looked through the SMB instruction manual and, wow... I had never noticed that! Good eye!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:48:22 PM by 1UP »
So, um.... any Mario fans here?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1916 on: November 15, 2010, 06:11:58 PM »
Perhaps the events of SMB2 were a dream, though. It's like one of us having a dream about going to North Korea to take out Kim Jong-il.

Except the plot of BS Super Mario USA is about the King of Subcon inviting Mario back to give him a set of congratulatory gold statues in return for saving his kingdom the first time. Then Wart, in a fit of vengence, orders his Birdos to steal them and hide them all over the seven worlds.

« Reply #1917 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:26 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, yes, Bowser's last name is Koopa.  Otherwise, Larry Koopa wouldn't be Larry Koopa.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #1918 on: November 15, 2010, 11:39:42 PM »
because

Oh dear.  I remember I made a complete fool of myself a long time ago on this very forum over this subject. 
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Puqtd

• now member
« Reply #1919 on: March 06, 2011, 09:05:10 AM »
does anyone else realize that "toadstool" is a much better than name than "peach"? peach isn't a realistic name, guys, and toadstool fits better with the whole mushroom thing that the games had going on. i always make sure to correct the games when they go by the japanese names.
~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-~`';_-*-

Print