Print

Author Topic: Let the Revolution be Televised in HD!  (Read 3204 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:20:31 PM »
I have had a High Definition TV for a few years now and several of my friend will get one soon.  HDTV sells will probably increase after HD consoles are released.

I am afraid that the Nintendo Revolution will not support HD which could hurt third party games on the system.  If a company makes three version of a game with the Revolution one being the only one not to have HD, the Rev version probably wouldn't sell as well and the company an others might not release their next game on the Revolution.

For example, if Resident Evil 5 is HD on the PS3, but not the Rev I would buy a PS3 just for the HD version of RE5.

I wrote this because I hope the people at Nintendo change their minds and goes HD, and to see what you Fungi Forum member think about the subject.

If your not sure what HD is or how it works check out this Wikipedia article.

If you want to help change minds at Nintendo in favor HD support consider contacting them or signing a petition.  See 1080up.org for more information,  and links to Nintendo contact pages and a petition.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 12:05:02 AM »
I would sign a petition if I believed that online petitions EVER worked.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 11:43:11 AM »
I don't know if any online petition ever worked, and put little stock in them.  Contacting a company might have better results.  Here's the reply from Nintendo UK:

Dear Customer, thank you for your e-mail.

I do accept what you are saying but the same argument is in reverse.   If the game you wanted most definitely to play, say Zelda, was only on Revolution, would you refuse to buy it and not play it at all?   There are far more non HD TV's in operation in Europe and will continue to be so until the prices fall and there are more HD broadcasts for people to receive.   To add this technology to a unit and increase the price and, potentially, the programming difficulty, for a limited return is arguably not worth it.

Kind regards,

Your Nintendo Team

If/when I get replies from the NOA and Japan I'll post them here as well.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 01:32:42 PM »
What did you e-mail to them?  Their argument here is easily countered, but I'd like to see the original message.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 01:40:39 PM »
>What did you e-mail to them? Their argument here is easily countered, but I'd like to see the original message.

Basicly what's in my first post here.  I should have made a better argument, but I wasn't thinking clearly that late at night after only having a few hours sleep the night before.

Some PS2 and Xbox games already support true HD (720p, 1080i) this generation! (Game lists courtesy of HDTV Arcade.)

Source:  http://1080up.org/

Edited by - Luigison on 7/27/2005 2:37:39 PM

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 09:21:12 PM »
Nintendo always will not include something that will somewhat screw them over in sales.
ie. no dvd

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 09:52:40 PM »
I was actually pretty convinced by the return message. Prices are more important to me than making the resolution unperceptively perfect.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 01:54:07 AM »
Wow, Nintendo UK isn't afraid to be honest!  I like that; my typical reply from NoA goes a little like this...

O Dearest, most-valued customer of ours,

We at Nintendo truly and deeply appreciate your concern about HDTV support for our upcoming console, code-named the Revolution.  We have forwarded your esteemed and, indeed, correct opinion to Nintendo producer, Shigeru Miyamoto; NoA VP of sales, Reggie Fils-Aime; corporate VP, Perrin Kapplan; Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata; and Nintendo Emperor, Hiroshi Yamauchi.  Thank you for e-mailing Nintendo.

Sincerely,

Hank S.

P.S.  In light of your supreme opinion, I have bequeathed upon you my daughter's hand in marriage.  Please accept her humble servitude in all facets of your godly life.  Thank you for e-mailing Nintendo.

Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 02:56:11 AM »
As long as it supports regular TV, I'll be fine.

But a console that is cheaper is always nice, especially for me, a guy who makes no money.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 12:18:40 PM »
I have a High Definition TV and can tell you there is a big difference between standard TV and HDTV.

There are already over 30 games (this gen) that are 720p or 1080i.  Next gen almost all PS3 and Xbox 360 games will be HD.  Nintendo will only support 480p.

I'm afraid Nintendo is treating HD next genereation like it treated Online this generation. They say it's not popular because few people bought the cables for it. Duh, they were only available online at the Nintendo store. I would have bought them if they were at a local retail store and they hadn't remove the component support from GCN.

I'll buy the PS3 version of third party games like RE5 even if there is a REV version because I want to play them in HD. I think this will hurt Nintendo's 3rd party games again.  Since most GCN owners also on another system this trend might continue with the REV.  If a better version (read HD) of a game is available gamers will buy that version leaving Nintendo without much 3rd party support.

Since all new TV will be by law digital (this was just extented), broadcasts will be in HD, and Sony/Microsoft consoles are HD, I predict the HDTV will become a lot more popular as it's prices fall. You can get a 32" HDTV now for under $300. I paid about two thousand for mine a few years ago. Prices are falling and will continue to.

Go to http://1080up.org/ to find out more.

---
Play Nintendo!   Everything else is just a game.  I’m now taking volunteers for playNintendo.net.  Reporters, webmasters, designers, graphic artists, and Flash programmers needed.  Email me with a sample of your work.
---

Edit:  I used HD in this thread to refer to High Definition, not Hard Drive.  While I think a Hard Drive would be useful considering only 512 flash for downloading games, that's for another thread.

Edited by - Luigison on 7/28/2005 11:26:45 AM

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 04:50:35 PM »
I hope they change their minds too. Surely it can't be that expensive for them to include HD support. I emailed them about it a while back. Their response said that they forwarded the message to the appropriate people. So, who knows? Maybe there is a chance...
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Print