Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario: Great or Crap?  (Read 10728 times)

Kat

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2001, 11:57:23 PM »
Personally, SMRPG was, and still is my all time favored game. I doubt anything will change that either... however. With the release of it's sequel, I stand to be corrected--if at all. I feel the game will be somewhat like SMB2... an excellent game, but overlooked by many. Perhaps because of the 2D in 3D graphics might be a big turn off for "new school" (aka s.b.p.g.g ~ spoiled by pretty graphics generations) since they've never really been errm... "exposed" to this new style. I look forward to the game's newer style though, and have been saving my christmas money ever since I got it, just for SMRPG2. Although, I still hope ninendo manages to squeeze some old SMRPG characters in there into the sequel. :) I'd love to see Geno, Mallow (well.. maybe not mallow as much) Dyna, Mite, Booster.. Dodo and Boshi espically in there. ^_^ Seeing Frogfucious in there would be a welcome surprise too... (Or maybe his student?)

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2001, 12:31:47 AM »
Cool!  Either Kat isn't dead, or someone posing as her is posting.

-----------------------

"I''m-a Wario! I''m-a gonna win!!"
Haters gonna hate

Kat

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2001, 11:23:40 PM »
Oh no, I'm quite alive an' kickin'. ^_~ I've just been "dormant" if you will, for a long time...

•·º¤. Kat .¤º·â€¢

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2001, 07:55:14 PM »
I simply cannot wait. I've seen the review in the February issue of Nintendo Power and the game is just pure Mario. It won't be exactly like Mario RPG so those of you looking for a "sequel" will probably be disappointed somewhat. I already know I'll love it though.

Also, there's more to a game than graphics. The kiddies griping about it using flat sprites tire me. Its the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night story all over. Back in 1985 we weren't griping about sprites, and I'm still not ;) I love side-scrollers.

James

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2001, 04:05:06 PM »
You hit the nail on the head, Quasar! :D

-----------------------

"Mama mia!"
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2001, 09:20:46 AM »
Well I finally got Paper Mario this weekend and I can now officially say that I love it. It *is* rather simple compared to Super Mario RPG, but its not exactly a push-over game either. A weekend of playing got me 3 Star Spirits rescued, and Mario at level 9, but I've died 3 times too. Thank goodness that Boo in the Mansion basement sells super mushrooms! ^_^

James

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2001, 12:21:18 AM »
Hey, I rented Paper Mario, AND IT RULES ALL!! i love it! I didnt think it would be this good. I thought it would be another yoshi's story, where the graphics are simple yet the game is short. Well right now I'm about to go to LavaLava Island. I rented this game twice in a row. I think Ill buy it!

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2001, 04:24:54 PM »
I think it's great! Best game ever! Bowser was way too easy!
 ~Zootalo SSBM: 269 Trophies SMS: 120 Shines LM: 23 Gold Frames
Animal Crossing: AC Name:Jon AC Town:Jockero

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2001, 09:15:36 PM »
I got Paper Mario less than a week ago and I am a little dissaponited. I already beat.  I was also bugged by little thing such as the fact that the fact that they turn Yoshi and Toad into species and do not recognize the individual charecters. It is not as good as SMRPG.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2001, 01:45:50 PM »
Umm... there were tons of Toads in SMRPG too. As for the Yoshis, one could say they were already a species since their first appearance in Super Mario World.

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2001, 07:22:56 PM »
In the first Mario Rpg the "toads" were called mushroom people. Toad was specified as a character.  Also Yoshi is a specific person and a species.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2001, 01:20:36 AM »
If you wanna get specific about it, Toad was a "species" since Super Mario Bros. (1985)... While our manual listed the eight Mushroom-hat-wearing hostages as "Mushroom Retainers," the Japanese manual calls them "Kinopio." And so far, every time Toad appears in a Japanese game, he is called Kinopio. Of course, Super Mario 64 also had a bunch of Toads scattered throughout the castle, and I don't remember if one was singled out as THE Toad... :(

And in Super Mario World, I believe each color Yoshi was called a Yoshi, with their color in their name to set themselves apart from the regular green Yoshi. The green Yoshi can be found and hatched in several different levels.

Another thing... Luigi has a bigger part in Paper Mario than he did in Super Mario RPG, but I can't understand why they still didn't let him tag along with Mario! WTH? It's like Nintendo doesn't want anything to do with Luigi but they feel they are obliged to include him in games just so they don't upset Luigi fans or something...

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2001, 11:31:58 AM »
Toad and Yoshi are both individual members of species, so it's not a flaw to have a bunch of them, OR to have just one each.  One is THE Toad, one is THE Yoshi.

Where has "Paper Mario" been released?  I live in the U.S. and I haven't seen so much as a commercial for it.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2001, 11:38:56 AM »
Deezer- No kidding.  There's a reason why they're called Mario BROS.  Luigi should've been a permanent party member.

It makes me mad Nintendo gave Wario the shaft AGAIN.

-----------------------

"Mama mia!"

=ßïllý ¢hîll¥=

Edited by - billy chilly on 2/18/2001 9:59:13 AM
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2001, 01:50:28 PM »
Everybody knows Toads and Yoshis are species, I just didn't know Yoshi was a father.
As for Luigi, I remember a part about him having to stay home and take care of the house. But I do agree with you guys, He should have been a party member also.

Print