Poll

What's the best thing about the holidays?

The holiday spirit!
11 (47.8%)
The presents!
5 (21.7%)
The cold weather!
3 (13%)
The specials on TV!
0 (0%)
The break from school!
3 (13%)
The spreading cold and flu!
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: Single best thing about the holiday season  (Read 8291 times)

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2005, 12:13:16 AM »
Fifth, that is incorrect. The actual reason for the date of christmas is simple. In ancient customs, it was believed that the day you died was the same day that you were concieved. Research shows that Jesus MUST have died on April 25th. 9 months later is December 25th. This has been the custom since the early church.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2005, 02:36:31 AM »
Eh?  What's incorrect now?  I don't recall mentioning a date... was it in the link?
Anyway, I'm a bloody heathen, so I won't dabble further into religious matters.  It's not my thing.

Hmm... As for the poll, I'll choose the cold weather, because seasons are awesome.  The changing of the weather really emphasizes that whole passage of time thing, and the whole cyclical nature of life.  Good times, on the whole.
Go Moon!

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2005, 09:37:34 AM »
No, you just mentioned the pagan roots of christmas. That is a common misconception. No beef.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2005, 11:08:46 AM »
I don't like Christmas, because once you stop believing in Santa, everyone stops trying to be good and gets presents anyway.  I was Buddy the Elf for Children's Theater at my school, and it makes me wish that everybody just cared about each other, regardless of whether the person thinks they're an elf or not, etc.  As for commercializing Christmas, yes, it is commercialized.  I think "holiday spirit" incorporates the birth of Jesus(whether or not it's his real birthday! ::) ), the spirit of giving, and being cheeful towards everyone.   People SHOULD be cheerful to everyone, the way suicide rates increase during the holiday season.

My favorite part of Christmas, besides the birth of Jesus: Manheim Steamroller's Deck the Halls.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 03:15:14 PM by Markio »
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2005, 12:53:25 PM »
4 votes for presents... yours are dark hearts. XD
Who cares about research? Isn't everything we need to know about Jesus in the Bible? Why do the debates about Jesus's birth always come up at Christmastime? Can't those be saved for Valentine's Day or Go Back To School Day?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2005, 01:50:47 PM »
The best thing about the holiday season are the presents, it's what keeps the economy rich and the children happy.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 02:11:23 PM by PaperMario »

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2005, 04:53:10 PM »
What does egg-nog taste like? ?'_'?
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2005, 05:30:44 PM »
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2005, 05:46:04 PM »
The non-alcoholic kind is a thick, spiced, milky drink that is gross to me if over 2 days old. It does not taste like eggs. I imagine the alcoholic version tastes the same except it's a bit more electrifying.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2005, 07:50:35 PM »
Egg nog is really thick and good. Try the eggnog milkshake, from Jack in the Box. BEST. MILKSHAKE. EVER.
It's YOUR problem!

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2005, 08:36:09 AM »
I found out that Santa didn't exist in first or second grade. I went downstairs on Christmas eve, around midnight to go get some water and ended up seeing my parents and uncles and aunts wrapping presents. I think I even cried, knowing that Santa was just a big lie just to make Christmas seem a little more fun to young children.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2005, 09:41:26 AM »
I come from a family of five kids, so every Christmas morning, there would always be a lot of moolah under the tree.  The sight is beautiful to see all the different wrapping paper and boxs and lights on the tree in the morning, even though only like three of the presents are mine.  I especially LOVE the stocking stuffers!  You can see them without having to forensically re-wrap something, and plus I like all those little trinket-type things.

I found out Santa "wasn't" real(we really don't know, do we?) probably when I was in thrid grade, since all my older siblings would ask me if I believed in him, and when I said yes, they would exchange these conspicuous knowing glances that were too easy to read.  I also found out the tooth fairy wasn't real when I was in thrid grade, when I sadly told my friend about it, he told me to keep believing, just in case.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2005, 01:58:40 PM »
My parents told me Santa wasn't real 2 years ago. I told them "Yeah, I know. I've known for a while. I just wanted the extra presents!" XD
It's YOUR problem!

Print