Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1709834 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7920 on: June 04, 2013, 10:09:24 PM »
It's people like you who are actively ensuring the future will be a dystopia.
I dunno, he's kind of got a point, dark tones and cynical futures have been very present in more than one medium since the 90s or so.  Watchmen kind of inaugurated them and as good as that was, most of its spawn does not deserve to be put on the same pedestal.

Particularly, the problem with The Hunger Games is, I think, that Ms. Collins just kind of ran out of steam after executing the initial premise; the sequels - especially the latter one - just feel very meandery and overstuffed with political overthinking.  The kind that comes off as a juvenile but failed attempt to be deep.  The franchise is entertaining in its own way and I'll certainly be in line to see the next film but overall I'd say there are better sources of meaning out there in fiction.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7921 on: June 04, 2013, 10:26:10 PM »
Just obey the government and it'll be fine.

Actually, judging by the sheer number of people who do this, we're already living in a dystopia.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #7922 on: June 05, 2013, 08:22:29 AM »
I dunno, he's kind of got a point, dark tones and cynical futures have been very present in more than one medium since the 90s or so.  Watchmen kind of inaugurated them and as good as that was, most of its spawn does not deserve to be put on the same pedestal.

Particularly, the problem with The Hunger Games is, I think, that Ms. Collins just kind of ran out of steam after executing the initial premise; the sequels - especially the latter one - just feel very meandery and overstuffed with political overthinking.  The kind that comes off as a juvenile but failed attempt to be deep.  The franchise is entertaining in its own way and I'll certainly be in line to see the next film but overall I'd say there are better sources of meaning out there in fiction.

The main problem I have with dystopia books is that now they use them as a portal for a cheap romance. It's like mixing apples and oranges.
Now with grandeur.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7923 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:42 AM »
Fair enough, but that epidemic is plaguing a lot of other genres, too.  Like, 99% of them.

« Reply #7924 on: June 05, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
*coughvampirenovelscough*

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7925 on: June 05, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
The main problem I have with dystopia books is that now they use them as a portal for a cheap romance. It's like mixing apples and oranges.
That's a different problem altogether.  I can see the literary and financial reasons they are doing it, but still don't care for most of the results. 

Fight Club has dystopian and romantic elements, but I doubt many would categorize it completely as either.  The reason I bring it up is that the fighting club was not central to the story in the writer's point of view, but merely the easiest vehicle he could use to tell the story.  Similarly, Twilight isn't a vampire story (based on what little I know about it). 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #7926 on: June 05, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
Watchmen did not inaugurate dystopian fiction. Brave New World came out in 1931. Fritz Lang's Metropolis was 1927. Something called Rasselas apparently came out in 1759.

« Reply #7927 on: June 05, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »
Watchmen did not inaugurate dystopian fiction. Brave New World came out in 1931. Fritz Lang's Metropolis was 1927. Something called Rasselas apparently came out in 1759.

People have been writing about the end of the world since 10,000 years ago, what's your point?
Now with grandeur.

« Reply #7928 on: June 05, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »
I was directly responding to Turtlekid1 reply #7921. I'm sorry I refused to taint my post with the execrable quote function to make that clear, such as you did to my immediately preceding post there.

« Reply #7929 on: June 05, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »
Sorry. I come from the incredibly spammy and lawless world of...
* KoopaTrooper  shudders
Minecraft forums.
Now with grandeur.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7930 on: June 05, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
Perhaps I should rephrase.  Watchmen inaugurated a trend of that kind of fiction.  No one is arguing it was the first, but it spawned a lot of copycats and would-be Alan Moores who assumed that the dark tone was the reason it was good.

« Reply #7931 on: June 05, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »

« Reply #7932 on: June 05, 2013, 10:06:56 PM »
really

« Reply #7933 on: June 05, 2013, 11:49:32 PM »
I fail to see how the context called for that post.

« Reply #7934 on: June 05, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »
I get it! Advice Dog started out ok, actually maybe giving advice, and then kind of degraded into the image in the quoted post.

Edit: posted for new page
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:59:05 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print