30-48, middle aged
1 (2.4%)
49 or over, old person
0 (0%)
I don't want to vote, I know something called privacy
4 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Print

Author Topic: How old are you?  (Read 31521 times)

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2007, 12:41:17 AM »
Let's see how this topic went:

From speaking of our age to taking the good Lord's name in vain to how religious we are.

We're awesome.

Well, I'm happy that I have...less than 2 years until I'm 15. I, for some odd reason, would like to be 15.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2007, 01:47:32 AM »
What's wrong with the names God and Jesus?
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2007, 04:18:47 AM »
Nothing is wrong with the names God and Jesus, etc. It's all about context. Like Chup said, whenever God's name is used in a way that disrespects him, such as casually or angrily calling upon him or swearing by him, it's taking his name in vain. If his name is said in a way that honors him, such as when in complete awe of him or of something he's done, or in prayer or thanks, that's obviously not in vain.

Hopefully this clears things up for everyone. It's not about God's names themselves; it's HOW they're used, the intent behind it. When in doubt, it's probably best to not use it.

On another note, saying God's name in vain is pretty much swearing--sometimes much worse. Using God's name as a curse is absolutely worse than a curse alone. Since swearing is against the rules, don't do it. Aside from the fact that it's disrespectful in general.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 04:21:04 AM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »
Well, what if you use someone else's name "in vain", like, say, Buddha, or Zeus, or even Satan (depending on who you worship)? I'd say it'd be just as bad then.
every

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2007, 09:55:06 AM »
I had the opportunity to register a couple of weeks back, but I was like "meh".

(Yeah, I don't want to. Telling me I should won't persuade me otherwise.)
Ugh, I don't really want to vote in the upcoming election anyway. I am very disapointed that my "right to vote" came at a time like this.

Geez, pessimistic much? We still have about a year and a half to go before the elections actually take place. A lot can change between that time, and besides that, we don't fully know the candidates positions on certain issues.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2007, 10:00:06 AM »
Buddha isn't the same type of being as God. And theoretically Zeus is the same thing as God.
That was a joke.

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2007, 12:35:42 PM »
Geez, pessimistic much? We still have about a year and a half to go before the elections actually take place. A lot can change between that time, and besides that, we don't fully know the candidates positions on certain issues.

I'm not pessimistic. I just don't want to vote. :D

Oh, and I'm still 18, guys.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2007, 03:58:33 PM »

I hope so. The canidates hardly seemed fit to run the country at this point in time.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2007, 08:49:41 PM »
If someone is getting offended by the use of the word "God", just use some other guy's name who is as equally awesome. Like Daniel Heiman or Chris Benoit.
What's hilarious is that this seems much more offensive to me than any other God comment and no one said anything about it!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2007, 08:59:13 AM »
Oh. My. Daniel Heiman.
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2007, 02:23:22 PM »
I don't even understand why it's important to have a phrase that goes like "Oh my [whatever]." Really, it's unnecessary. Whose idea was it to even start using God's name in vain anyway.

"I love God, so I'm going to start telling him to <censored> things."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2007, 08:30:33 PM »
I have to agree with LD on that one. I just decided to let it lie as trying-to-be-clever-but-failing-miserably so I left it alone.

Also, Solid, it's a throwback to people invoking gods in Greece and Rome, and/or swearing by them for emphasis or to convince someone you're sincere. Like, a common Latin expression is "hercule," meaning "by Hercules," like, well, swearing by Hercules that you're telling the truth or something. And even so, people used it in a less literal manner, just as an expression of emphasis.
That was a joke.

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2007, 08:35:01 PM »
Eh, I would've said something, but I don't want to sound like the "past me". In other words, I got offended by any and everything that insulted God, no matter what was said.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2007, 10:59:23 AM »
Whenever I'm offended by something, I just let it go, unless I'm either being directly insulted or see something horibly wrong (like tossing puppies off a cliff).
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2007, 01:08:29 PM »
Buddha isn't the same type of being as God. And theoretically Zeus is the same thing as God.
I don't see how you can say the first sentence and then follow it with a second sentence making a very similar mistake as the first is trying to correct.

Print