Print

Author Topic: What've you been reading?  (Read 30219 times)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« on: January 21, 2006, 12:41:49 AM »
Write about what you are currently reading (pretty simple):

Right now, I am reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I always knew a lot of people loved this book, so I decided to pick it up. Now I see why! This book's characters, plot, and pace are perfect. There is so much perfect humor, and I can't seem to put it down. Like I said the characters are so side-splitting, and the plot seems to seep of the pages and around you. Plus I like how obsessed Veet is with ballpoint pens.

So anyways, what are you reading?
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 01:14:14 AM »
I'm currently reading two books: the Prose Edda, and the Volsunga Saga. Both tell many tales of Norse mythology. I've been pleased thus far.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 01:42:28 AM »
Recently finished A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
Started The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum and On Intelligence by Jeff Hawkins

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:37:05 AM »
Reader's Digest. (Yes, I have a subscription; please don't laugh)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 08:43:55 AM »
Nintendo Power, Sword of Sarashah, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and the story board's stories. ;)

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 09:09:42 AM »
The text on this computer screen.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 09:49:28 AM »
I currently have these books checked out from my library:

"The Prydain Chronicles: The Book of Three" by Lloyed Alexander, I haven't began reading this one, yet.
"Dracula" by Bram Stoker, about halfway through this one.
"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding, this one is not from the library, it's my friend's. He said I had to read it after finding out I was never required to in any of my elementary classes. I've only barely got into the book and it's okay so far.
"2010: odyssey two" by Arthur C. Clarke, I may or may not finish this one, the necessary incontinuity regarding certain planets bothers me. Hopefully I will get over that and finish it.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 10:04:08 AM »
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Dufoe
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 10:23:43 AM »
Gah, Robinson Crusoe!  I remember trying to read that in fifth grade.  I got to page 5 before giving up.  I don't think the story is bad, but the vocabulary is a little overwhelming for a ten-year-old.

My English class is in the middle of The Great Gatsby, but I finished it last weekend and now I have nothing to read.  I had also been reading Elements of Fiction Writing: Beginnings, Middles and Ends by Nancy Kress and since I thought her voice sounded good I got another book by her, which is part of a trilogy and probably not the first one either.  I don't know if I should read it, seeing as how it would be like reading Harry Potter 4 without having read the previous ones.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »
Garfield: BEEFS UP!

You weren't expecting that, were ya?
Most Wishy-Washy

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 10:26:33 AM »
The Great Gatsby is a very well done book. The ending I hated though. The entire book had sory of strange aura about it. Personally though, I would say it was the best thing I read in US Lit, other than Catcher in the Rye .
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 10:29:33 AM »
I read that next. :p

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 03:10:52 PM »
Catcher in the Rye is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. I'm sorry, but a psychopath kid who complains about every single little thing throughout the whole book, not to mention swears every other word... I got to the point I didn't even sympathize at ALL with him; I just wanted him to shut up and shape up. He was so immature. I loathe this story.

Of Mice and Men was also really awful. I hated all the events; it was depressing and messed up, not to mention the swearing. Oh, the horrible swearing! (And again, immature characters.)

Seriously, any book that has as much profanity as those stories... I'm sorry, no matter how "good" it is, I will not enjoy it one bit, regardless. The same goes for movies like that. That's why I normally don't like rated-R movies. If it's R for violence, that's different (I loved Air Force One, for example). If the profanity (or other certain things) is what makes it R, no. Certain things I'm sure I would enjoy if they were censored. (The movie Speed comes to mind; I love the plotline and everything, but the language infuriates me. I'll only watch it when they put it on TV.) But Catcher in the Rye and Of Mice and Men...I hated the plotlines and characters, as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 03:14:39 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »
I was like that about Eragon.  Every person who would bother to read it likes it, but I didn't sympathize with/like the characters, and I didn't like the language either.  Not that there was swearing... I was just tried of the author saying "his scabs caked" and "on her belly".

Of Mice and Men was short enough to read through quickly, but I kinda like to read it when I'm depressed.  I only read it once, though...

Sapphira, read TKaM, and don't go near Bless Me Ultima.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »
     I think that poor Holden is just very confused. He lives in, basically, a boarding school. YOu'd be pretty messed up too if the only contact with your mom and dad you had was over holidays. Also, he does shape up at the end of the story. Remember when he saw the bad words wtirren on the walls? He became very upset. He didn't think that kids should have to see that sort of thing. he also loved the museum, becuase nothing changed. I liked life before he was shipped off to that boys school where he had to live.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print