Print

Author Topic: Trilingual Wii Game Cases?  (Read 3701 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:31:34 PM »
As you've probably noticed, Nintendo has decided to manufacture the cases for all its published Wii games in the three main translated languages. A petty issue, yes, but it's honestly bugging me. The whole thing just seems distracting and superfluous. How do you feel, if at all?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:35:48 PM »
My Twilight Princess game box and manual are solely in English. WarioWare: Smooth Moves is in English, Spanish, and what looks like French. This is likely because there's less to explain about WarioWare, and there's plenty of room for multilingual instructions, instrucciones, y emploi. It probably saves the big N some money, in the long run.
My parents are agitated by signs in multiple languages too. They say that if you're going to live in America you ought to know English. It doesn't bother me much--and you have to learn SOMEHOW, eh?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:34:32 PM »
Saves Nintendo energy/time/money making separate manuals in different languages, I guess.

I'm one of those people who do think you should actually know the language of the country you're in, and learn it if you don't. You're supposed to be able to pick it up quicker if you live in the country, probably due to the fact that you're forced to speak it.

But, whatever works for Nintendo, I guess. If at least one of the languages of the manuals is English, I'm happy.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 08:15:22 AM »
I think Twilight Princess was in English either because they hadn't caught whatever bug has compelled them to produce their game cases like the safety instuctions to a blender, or because they knew better than to eff up the best Zelda game ever made so that deaf Chinese children could read it.

...Fine, I'll tone it down a bit. The basic point is, it forces them to make the everything on the back really small, only Nintendo games are being given this treatment (every game, or none of them, ok?), and the actual games aren't in three different tounges, anyway (Wouldn't the title's names change in other countries, anyway? How does this save money?).

And if it's so crucial to our society for French tourists and, um... immigrants to know who rated Excite Truck "E", why has no other company ever done it in the history of videogames (except for the Donkey Konga bongo package and that Metroid Prime: Hunters demo. What the heck...)?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:36:24 AM »
Uhh what the heck people.  It has nothing to do with "main languages" or trying to cater to different people in the United States.  Nintendo is doing this so they can sell the game in all of North and Latin America without having to produce different artwork.  That means English for the US, English and French for Canada, and Spanish for Mexico and Latin America.  It even says on the boxes, "For sale, rental and use only in the USA, Canada, Mexico and Latin America."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 05:10:54 PM »
I think Twilight Princess was in English either because they hadn't caught whatever bug has compelled them to produce their game cases like the safety instuctions to a blender, or because they knew better than to eff up the best Zelda game ever made so that deaf Chinese children could read it.
I think it was because the manual was so large that printing the same thing three times in one manual would have been too big for the box.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 03:51:47 AM »
Might as well mention that Spanish should go for the large Spanish-speaking minority in the US as well.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 07:29:01 AM »
Are DVD cases in three languages? Are CDs?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 11:34:22 AM »
Yes.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »
You have the Monty Python and the Holy Grail DVD??? Lucky you! :)
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 02:05:47 PM »
TE ACTUAL MOVIE CASE. For cryin' out loud...

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 02:08:34 PM »
Good thing you don't live in Europe.  I think you might have an aneurysm seeing how many languages end up on game packaging.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 04:22:44 PM »
I don't get why you have a problem with this. You can understand at least one of the languages in the manual, right? Just flip to that one and everything will be okay.

Why is it annoying you so much? Not everyone on this planet speaks the same language you do.

Je ne sais pas pourquoi tu as une probléme avec ceci. Tu connais avec au moins un du langages dans le manuel, d'accord? Vas à le langage tu connais et le monde sera chouette.

Pourquoi est ceci tu gêner? Pas chacun dans le monde parlent le langage tu parles.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »
As you've probably noticed, Nintendo has decided to manufacture the cases for all its published Wii games in the three main translated languages. A petty issue, yes, but it's honestly bugging me. The whole thing just seems distracting and superfluous. How do you feel, if at all?

Why do you hate our freedom?

Just kidding, I actually don't mind multilingual booklets because I barely read them.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 07:18:46 PM »
Yeah, I know it's no big deal, I'm just not used to it. You'd think that someone other company (or Nintendo) would've done this a long time, though, if it's so critical. And it's just... awkward to, say, look at your copy of Wii Play and see it labeled in three dialects, and then look at Rayman Raving Rabbids, or SSX Blur, or something, and it's, far lack of a better term, normal.

Actually, in response to the last few posts, and to be frank for the fourth time or so, I'm concerned that to fit all those languages in, they're getting rid of things they'd normally say or show in the instuctions/back. I mean, you say that there isn't much to say about WarioWare, Excite Truck, etc., but when it comes to marketing games, you've gotta make it sound PACKED (case in point: Polarium). Granted, I never really read the instructions, but how much description, details, and so on do you think is sacrificed so that Nintendo doesn't have to reprint a piece of paper in two other langauges?

And besides... I can hardly read this! *Squints at back of Smooth Moves box*

Print