Print

Author Topic: What [ticks] me off is...  (Read 80329 times)

« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
Speaking of faith, this is going to sound odd, but I'm going to say it because I myself have been wondering why all this Nintendo stuff bugs me so much and I think I've pinned down the reason: I, for all intents and purposes, do not believe in God; I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just saying that that is my personal belief.
Just because I used the religious terms "faith", "sinned", and "repent" in my post doesn't mean I was talking about religion, sir. I can go for days without talking about being catholic, but that's neither here nor there right now.

It appears to me you haven't read my post quite right, either. Lots of people enjoy these things you're getting into fits about, these odd, quirky simulation games like Big Brain Academy, Nintendogs, and other games targeted to other demographics you don't care for (note I say demographic, not the people IN the demographic, such as your parents). Yet you seem to be blind towards this, and just care about what YOU like, and what YOU want, big adventure games starring Mario, Link, or whoever, and make these VERY BOLD statements that aren't true about what seems to be peeving you. Nintendo's still making these sort of games, it's not like they're going to phase them out and only create Kawashima's Brain Training games for the rest of their existence. RELAX. Nintendo knows better than that.

I recall seeing an online news article (could've been one of those less important ones, but, whatever) that talked about the DS game Star Fox Command, saying that the storyline involving relationships with the characters is more well-suited to older audiences that consist of, gasp, casual gamers, provided they can get past the cute furry creature faces. Will that stop ME, a NON-casual gamer from enjoying the game? No.

Demographics mean nothing to me, I'll enjoy a game whether it's Super Mario Galaxy or Trauma Center, a game that has more dialogue scenes than gameplay to help the casual gamers along.

Like I said, Nintendo seems to know what they're doing here. Your petty arguments about tri-lingual manuals, Brain training games, and just Nintendo's current ideals in general are getting old and they need to stop, for all of our sanity's sakes.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »
I'm getting tired of the argument that everyone can rely on Nintendo's back catalogue if they don't like their current games, since that's basically a big "go screw yourself" to, well, everyone. I like games. I like playing them. I also like playing new games when I've sucked an old game dry of its enjoyment. I sometimes like to go back and play old games after I haven't played them in a while. I don't, however, want to play Twilight Princess and SMG for the rest of my life while Nintendo churns out spinoffs every two weeks. I mean, look. The last true 3D console Mario game before Galaxy was SMS, which was five years ago, and even that can be considered a spinoff if you're nitpicky. I don't want to wait another six, seven years until Nintendo makes another decent Mario game. These types of games should come out once every two or three years, maybe. That way, just once you've moved on to other games, along comes the awesome, genre-redefining sequel. I have faith that the next big Mario game will rock, but that doesn't mean I'll keep it until then.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:57:53 PM by Glorb »
every

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2008, 02:53:42 PM »
I just read all this, but I have a few cents of my own to pitch in...

A tri-lingual manual is a way to effectively cut down cost. You no longer have to dedicate multiple printing presses to three different versions of the manual. Now there's only one.

There is nothing wrong with casual gamers or the types of games they play. Nintendo has reached some very unique audiences with their products--my grandfather bought a D.S. so he could play brain training games! And he also got Madden for it! This is an audience that may not have been reachable before through traditional marketing and products. Nintendo has made more money that way (as have game developers) and that only means more good products for everyone, casual or serious.

If you want Nintendo to make more games, sell more consoles, make themselves look better on paper to other developers so they make games for your favorite platforms, don't bash games like Brain Age (which a lot of older folks like) and Nintendogs (which has increased the number of female gamers). The more folks Nintendo recruits, the more they can make and the more people will make for them. (See also: Microsoft Windows).

« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2008, 03:05:55 PM »
I'm getting tired of the argument that everyone can rely on Nintendo's back catalogue if they don't like their current games, since that's basically a big "go screw yourself" to, well, everyone. I like games. I like playing them. I also like playing new games when I've sucked an old game dry of its enjoyment. I sometimes like to go back and play old games after I haven't played them in a while. I don't, however, want to play Twilight Princess and SMG for the rest of my life while Nintendo churns out spinoffs every two weeks. I mean, look. The last true 3D console Mario game before Galaxy was SMS, which was five years ago, and even that can be considered a spinoff if you're nitpicky. I don't want to wait another six, seven years until Nintendo makes another decent Mario game. These types of games should come out once every two or three years, maybe. That way, just once you've moved on to other games, along comes the awesome, genre-redefining sequel. I have faith that the next big Mario game will rock, but that doesn't mean I'll keep it until then.

I'd say the reason we had a lot more Mario and Zelda games come out more frequently back in the 8 and 16-bit eras was due to, pretty much, limitations of technology, graphics, and even music (Could you imagine DDR or Guitar Hero on the NES or SNES? I didn't think so). Once technology changed and got more advanced, Nintendo and other companies obviously saw that more than these platformers can be created. I'd say it was a good thing to have a broader amount of genres and series than just Mario, Zelda, Sonic, and whoever else dominating those eras.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »
I think genres are a stupid idea to begin with, but honestly there are so many fun games for almost every console that it's ridiculous to only play one or two and then wait around for The Next Big Game when you missed the last 50 great games. Just go pick one up and play it. I have enough old games for me right now that I have no idea when I'll finish them all, and that's more than enough, along with real life, to keep me busy until the next new game that I actually want comes along.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2008, 04:25:37 PM »
It appears to me you haven't read my post quite right, either. Lots of people enjoy these things you're getting into fits about, these odd, quirky simulation games like Big Brain Academy, Nintendogs, and other games targeted to other demographics you don't care for (note I say demographic, not the people IN the demographic, such as your parents). Yet you seem to be blind towards this, and just care about what YOU like, and what YOU want, big adventure games starring Mario, Link, or whoever, and make these VERY BOLD statements that aren't true about what seems to be peeving you. Nintendo's still making these sort of games, it's not like they're going to phase them out and only create Kawashima's Brain Training games for the rest of their existence. RELAX. Nintendo knows better than that.
Since when is wanting to enjoy the videogames I buy selfish? And, for love of God, stop talking about the trilingual manual thing. Yes, it still irks me, but I haven't brought it up one time in this entire thread.

So you're saying that Nintendo isn't marketing their established franchise games, and are only pushing their outreach games?
No... not really. If I did, I didn't exactly mean that (though you've got to admit that there's been more Bigfoot sightings than Nintendo ads for anything recently).

Just because I used the religious terms "faith", "sinned", and "repent" in my post doesn't mean I was talking about religion, sir. I can go for days without talking about being catholic, but that's neither here nor there right now.
In no way was I implying that. I just had something to say that was kind of related to faith, and since I was already quoting you, I figured I'd just use that as a springboard.

people decided to start making Brain Training games because they sell.
Which is exactly what I was hoping wouldn't happen. I will say one positive thing about Nintendo: Microsoft and Sony may make snide remarks about them, but they've innovated more things then anyone else, and when Nintendo sets a precedent, for better or for worse, companies follow it.

From a business standpoint, though, it makes perfect sense, right? Why make in-depth, power-packed titles that cost and make millions when you can make budget titles that cost was less and still make millions? And, if you're a third-party, you'll want to make a quick buck off of bargin-binners on the Wii and focus on making quality titles on more powerful systems. I'm not being sarcastic here; everything about the Wii and DS--from the abundance of shovelware to the "casual" phenomenon--is completely and totally rational from a corporate viewpoint...that just doesn't mean I have to like it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »
All game consoles have had an abundance of shovelware. Just not quite in the guise of the games today. And honestly, how much less do you think Brain Age took to make than a standard DS platformer? I don't think the development costs could have been too far off.
That was a joke.

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »
I think Chup made the best point a page back. Video Games aren't just limited to Nintendo systems. Don't like the amount of Touch Generation titles that seem to be eclipsing Triple A titles? Go buy a PS3 or a 360. I know it's probably considered sacriligeus to some here to buy any system not produced by Nintendo, but as surprising as it sounds, there are alternatives out there. I got tired of waiting for Gamecube releases last generation so I bought a PS2. Without it, I would've probably never gotten back into Street Fighter, and I would've never have gotten to try great new series like God of War or GTA.

Point is, limiting yourself to one company is a dumb idea. Also, I'm pretty sure someone's going to bring up the issue of money, and there's a very simple solution to it: Get a job, save up. It's really not that hard. Especially considering Video Games aren't a neccessity.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2008, 10:34:31 PM »
Video Games
When did that become a proper noun?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »
Now you're just changing the subject.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Jman

• Score
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2008, 10:54:31 PM »
What really ticks me off is that my Wi-Fi connection won't work at home, because the computer that hosts the network is more messed up than an anime hentai.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »
What ticks me off is that so many people keep their computers on all the time without having them do anything except be ready if/when they want to use them.  It's a waste of electricity to leave them on just to skip boot times.  I run Einstein@Home, rosetta@home, and SETI@home.  This way I feel I'm contributing something and get instant access to my PC.  Who say's you can't have your cake and eat it too?  (Of course I have to pay for the electricity my computer uses either way.)
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2008, 06:56:47 AM »
I keep mine on mainly so I can be in #tmk all the time. I've never seen it as a waste.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2008, 08:02:27 AM »
Now you're just changing the subject.
So? Everyone's having a fit and a half about what I was talking about, so let's just move on.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2008, 08:57:47 AM »
Hold on! I have one more thing to say. (Also no one likes it when a person pretends to be getting flamed. It's just a calm, controlled debate.)

Nintendo isn't changing by making less adventure games for the DS. Think: What was the big thing to have with you when it was the Game Boy's time? Tetris. Tetris! Teenagers and young adults could play it between classes at high school or college! Adults could play it while the boss wasn't watching! Battery died? Big deal, it's just a high score you'd keep trying to beat anyway. Even then it was usually just at home that you'd have enough time for a "full-length" game, and it's still like that today--I keep games I can easily start up and play like Planet Puzzle League on my person to relieve boredom if necessary.

It's for this reason I wish instead of wasting long games on the DS, they'd put them to use on the Wii. Phantom Hourglass, for example. I play long games at home. Of course, long games are good for train and plane rides--back for the Game Boy, that was Pokémon and today it still is (but it isn't as great). Even then, Pokémon is only truly perfect as a handheld game because one cartridge is one player, and players must interact to get the most of the game (requiring mobility).

Conclusion: Brain Age is the new Tetris.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 09:01:49 AM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print