Print

Author Topic: A Helpful Chart  (Read 11673 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: April 25, 2008, 05:31:12 PM »
Somebody went through the trouble of quantifying just how well the myraid of ways to race in Mario Kart Wii--both in mode of transportation and control--stack up against each other!

Shocking... Granted, this probably wasn't the most scientific test in the world, but still...

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/25/the-definitive-mario-kart-wii-controller-showdown/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 05:33:20 PM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 02:56:25 AM »
Small differences, but not surprising to me. First of all, I bet many of us are used to the GameCube controller, and it seems you can make turns a little quicker that way (slam stick in one direction and the effect's instantaneous). Wheel's more realistic but there might be slight lag moving it completely in one direction. Wii Remote I never expected to work well, since pointing a wand doesn't make sense for steering (I've never played Mario Kart Wii, but I assume that's how the remote works in that game).

As for the nunchuk getting the best time for bike... well, the times are very similar to that of the GameCube controller, which makes sense since the nunchuk too has a control stick on it.

So again, no surprise.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 05:35:00 AM »
It seems like Nintendo is having trouble moving on from the GCN controller (not that that's a bad thing).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 08:09:26 AM »
Seriously now, for games that really need a standard control interface, what else are you going to do?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »
Well, the Wii Wheel is all about realism... when was the last time anybody completed a lap around a course full of bottomless pits and monsters in a real go-kart in under two minutes?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 06:08:12 AM »
Video games don't need realism.  Video games are about escaping the real world (at least for me).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »
Honestly, I prefer the GCN controller because it's more precise. The Wii Wheel is fun to use but it's harder to narrow turns.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 11:37:42 AM »
Which explains why the courses were widened. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 05:33:28 PM »
So what were those "maneuvers" that Nintendo said couldn't be done without the Wheel?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »
Yeah, anyone (American?) know yet? Heck, I'll probably play with the Wheel anyway, but...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »
You can throw items in front and behind with the wheel.  Can you do that easily with the other control methods?  I've only play a couple of cups with the wheel and haven't tried any other control scheme, but I assume you can tap the control stick forward or back while releasing the item to throw in front or behind, but that method might make some people steer incorrectly. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »
Er, didn't Mario Kart 64 give you the ability to throw weapons forwards or backwards? Yes it did (bananas, shells, etc.). Maybe Super Mario Kart did too. A little bit of training and you won't go careening into a wall trying to press forward or back on the control stick. So that theory's out the window. I'm not sure how you could do the same thing with the wheel unless it detects you tilting the wheel forward or back, but that just seems strange. I don't think you'd pull the wheel back before throwing an item behind you.
You didn't say wot wot.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »
You do it with the wheel by pressing the digital pad.  I think the GCN controller will probably be more precious, but the wheel is pretty fun.  Not as much fun as Excite Truck IMO, but still cool.  I'll probably try the GCN Wavebird later to unlock stuff. 

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »
Hm, I really think people who religiously choose the GCN controller over any type of Wiimote variation should REALLY give them a try for awhile, instead of just immediately reaching for the GCN controller.

Dunno, it just reminds me of right-wing folk who're just afraid of change. It irks me.

I've found the Wii Wheel to be a bit clunky first, and did consider switching to my Wavebird, but eventually I got the hang of it. Feels comfortable in my hand.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »
Super Mario Kart didn't have the option to throw stuff backwards (or drag). MK64 and MKSC do, but for some reason I almost thought MKDS left out the option to drop shells/toss stuff behind you. If they actually left it off a control scheme in MKWii that would be really weird.

Vid: What the heck does your post have to do with anything?
That was a joke.

Print