Poll

Do you buy Re-Releases? (Assume it's a game you already enjoy, though not necessarily bought previously)

Yes, always
2 (33.3%)
Only if they add something new (Leaderboards, online multiplayer, HD, etc.)
4 (66.7%)
Only if it's a direct port.
0 (0%)
No, unless my other copy cannot be used
0 (0%)
No, Never
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Print

Author Topic: Enhanced Remakes  (Read 3783 times)

« on: May 31, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »
Media heads, and for the purposes of this thread, Game Developers and Publishers have realized that people will buy the same thing multiple times.  Re-releases and ports are an effective means to safely test the waters of interest in a brand or franchise.  After all, development time is minimal, distribution is as simple as making it available to any of the online channels, be it XBLA, PSN, Steam, WiiShop, what have you, and, if successful, may invite a relaunch of the property with a new AAA sized title.

On the...well, it's kind of the same hand.  I guess on a different finger of the hand?  The thumb? Whatever.  Is the Enhanced remake.  You know, those old titles that now have HD on the tail end, if not outright then heavily implied.  These tend to mix the nostalgia of these old games with newer features like online multiplayer, redone graphics, new modes or levels, and the occasional control and balance tweak.  They are a mid-step between the dated of the original game and the expense of a new, massive title.

And then there's the consumer.  We gain the ease of having many of our favorite titles being easily accessible on one device.  While I personally still have every system I own ready to go at any point, I completely understand how that is unreasonable or impossible for most.  Getting those classic games is difficult to find, prohibitively expensive when you do find it, or, while good, not quite worth the hassle. Oh, sure, I very much enjoy Radiant Silvergun, but I'm not shelling out the cash for a Japanese Sega Saturn, plus the $100+ for the incredibly rare game when I can just wait and get it for $10 in a little while.  $10 that, to some extent, will go to the developer, not some dude in California. (And Yes, I know a Japanese Sega Saturn is not necessary and modding a US model is incredibly easy, but it's the only example I could come up with)

What are your thoughts on rereleases and remakes?  Awesome?  Not necessary? Evil money grab? Bitter that you have neither the original nor the means to get the remakes?

And also, what have you bought on more than one console/form?
I have multiple copies of Super Mario Bros. 1 (x3), 2US (x2), 3 (x2), Legend of Zelda (x2), Metroid (x3), Super Mario World (x2), Final Fantasy IV (x3), Gunstar Heroes (x3), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (x2), 3 (x2), 'And Knuckles (x2), Perfect Dark (x2), I sort of count the Street FIghter II games, but that's a weird case, Chu Chu Rocket (x2), Metroid Prime (x2), and more, I'm sure I'm forgetting.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
You don't even have to mod a Saturn to play imports and burns. There's an easy disc-swap trick, just like the PSX.

Enhanced remakes are good, especially if they include the original version (i.e. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles).

Downloadable ports of rare/import-only/arcade-only games like RSG and Triggerheart Exelica are great.

The main thing with enhanced remakes and ports is that some companies (Square Enix) could basically get away with rereleasing their existing catalog for the next twenty years and do well, and we shouldn't let that happen.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
Yeah, I use disk swap methods for my Dreamcast, which needs more than a switch and some solder experience, but I modded mine, so that's what came to mind.

And while I agree that some companies could just bank on the fanboys with constant remakes, I can't say that I would turn down Final Fantasy 7 or 8 done with graphical fidelity near Advent Children levels.  Those are games that I still enjoy, old and broken as they are, and to make them really pretty would be worth the (I'm guessing) $15.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »
A Square Enix rep said at one point that it'd take several years to remake FF7 with modern graphics, which sounds like a complete load.

(And I'd rather have an FF6 remake with FF4CC graphics. And a PSP port of FF12. I'd say I want another FF5 remake as well, but that's already happening.)

(Also, why not save some trouble and just make backups of your Dreamcast games? The system runs burned games without requiring modding or a disc swap or anything.)

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:58:24 PM »
I heard FF7 would only be done if they got the whole original team back together.  I don't know. 

I didn't know about the burned games for Dreamcast, but I don't have much that would need it.  The imports I do have aren't played very often, even by how often I play Dreamcast at all.  I will look into it though for any future prospects.  Thanks.

On the whole, though, I could pass on most FF remakes at this point.  4, 8, and 6 are my favorites, but I'm all set on the versions I do have.  7, 8, and 9 seem like tougher ones to get nowadays, though, now that I think about it, aren't they already on PSN?  All the others are either remade every other year, or new enough that copies aren't tough to find.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »
Emphasis on the "enchanced" part would have to be heavy.  I'm talking new features everywhere and updates to match more modern entries in the series, where applicable.  At the very least, better graphics and audio.

Think Metroid: Zero Mission or Kingdom Hearts: Re:Chain of Memories.

I would kill for that remake of Super Metroid I've mentioned before in a couple of different threads.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »
Super Mario Bros DX is a good example of a remake done right. You vs Boo was awesome (and should've been done in some form in future games/remakes) and all the extra features were great (I personally have never had access to a GB printer, but.. well that's another story).

Super Mario Advance 4: SMB3 is also a good example of a remake done right. The original game was still very much the same, and the E-reader features were a great way to add more fun to an already fun game. I wish they had done more with it, but that's for another time.

Hmm.. I have multiple copies of SMB..

2 on the NES (one SMB, one SMB/Duck Hunt)
1 on Snes (All*Stars, of course)
2 on GB/GBA (SMB DX and Classic NES series)
1 on NGC (in Animal Crossing, if that counts)
1 on Wii (VC)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »
I like enhanced remakes. I think they're important to have every so often for the classics that people gotta play. If you were five years old and were just getting into gaming, you would not be inclined to play NES SMB or N64 SM64. I mean, it applied to me too; when I was five I had Super Mario All-Stars. So now, even despite being born in 1992, I have childhood memories of SMB3, isn't that neat
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »
If they made Super Metroid with the GBA controls, I would buy the heck out of it. I've tried playing Super Metroid, but after playing Fusion and Zero Mission first, the SNES controls feel completely wrong.

I mean, it applied to me too; when I was five I had Super Mario All-Stars. So now, even despite being born in 1992, I have childhood memories of SMB3, isn't that neat
Also this.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
If its a game I've never played but really want to, I'll buy the re-release, either way.  If it's a game that I still have a working copy of, I'll only buy it if it's an enhanced remake.  (Hear that OoT 3D?  It's gonna need more than just the 3D gimmick to buy me in)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
It has Master Quest
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
I'd love the SMA version of SMB3 with the e-World.  I've played through it several times and gave a copy to one of my brothers for Christmas with all the levels unlocked.  Maybe Nintendo will do this with the 3DS with digital downloads or something in place of the e-Reader. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 08:20:54 AM »
I like re-releases that actually redo something, like SM64DS. I'm going to buy OOT3D for sure. I don't even care that it's 3-D, I've just been waiting to experience this game with updated graphics (the new interface is nice too) for so long. I'm a sucker for remakes, but not for lazy ports. (I'm lookin' at you, Rayman 3D and Super Mario All-Stars Wii!)
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Print