Not really - it's a great game.
15 (32.6%)
NO, it's the best game ever!
9 (19.6%)
I've never played it.
9 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Print

Author Topic: Is Super Mario RPG overrated?  (Read 45229 times)

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 03:15:36 PM »
I'm glad someone finally spoke out about this. SMRPG is somewhat overrated (that's the option I chose). It's a great game and very fun, but most of the later Mario RPGs beat it out in my eyes. I see why people like it-it's got a great story, gameplay, music, and all that stuff-I just think the later RPGs are better. SMRPG is my second-to-least-favorite Mario RPG (the least being M&L Partners in Time, not that it was a bad game), and I don't see a reason why it should be any higher on my (key word "my") list. The Paper Mario games and Superstar Saga also had great stories (except for Paper Mario 1) and fun gameplay that attracted me better than RPG. I did play PM and SS before RPG, which may have influenced my chocies somewhat.

The only true thing I dislike about SMRPG isn't the game itself, but the fact that some of its fans are just too loud. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but the whole petition thing about Nintendo remaking SMRPG for the GBA/DS/whatever, the sequel petition...I don't think we really need that stuff. I would like a Virtual Console release, though, just so people who haven't experienced it before can play it.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 05:35:45 PM »
The only true thing I dislike about SMRPG isn't the game itself, but the fact that some of its fans are just too loud. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but the whole petition thing about Nintendo remaking SMRPG for the GBA/DS/whatever, the sequel petition...I don't think we really need that stuff. I would like a Virtual Console release, though, just so people who haven't experienced it before can play it.

I totally agree. Even though I said that I think SMRPG is overrated, it doesn't mean that I deny that it has any merrit at all. It should most certainly get a Virtual Console release - just Smash Brothers, Earthbound, and all the other classic games that haven't been released yet.

But a sequel? If they made one, I wouldn't complain, but there are other things that are higher priority for me right now - like a sequel to New Super Mario Brothers. :)
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 07:58:15 PM »
I actually would enjoy a sequel-I would just rather have another Paper Mario or M&L game. I think I phrased that in my previous post wrong. >_>
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 03:43:55 PM »
Yes, we need a Paper Mario game on a handheld - which is why I'm hoping that the rumored Paper Mario DS is for more than just Korea.

On another note, there's actually other things that I take issue with in SMRPG besides the ones I've mentioned. For one thing, I really dislike that there are so many brand new characters in the game that don't even resemble older species. Characters like Croco, Bowyer, Smithy, Mack, and others don't really feel quite at home - and I hate how so many of the enemies are unique to this game. What's with K-9, Frogog, Shadow, Spookum, Starcruster, Snapdragon, Amanita, and so on? Note that this problem is not exclusive to SMRPG - I also dislike that Super Paper Mario had so many weird character additions.

Another problem is that I honestly don't see what's so special about some of the unique main characters. People say that Geno is so cool, but to me he just sounds like an average powerful hero character in all of his dialogue. Mack, Punchinello, and other bosses also are really generic, although some like Bowyer and Booster are a lot better.

Personally, I like the unique characters from Paper Mario a lot better. Goomba King, the Ninja Koopas, Tubba Blubba, General Shy Guy, Tutankoopa, and most of the unique bosses were really cool, and each had a funny personality. :)

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 03:49:56 PM »
I also dislike that Super Paper Mario had so many weird character additions.

Personally, I like the unique characters from Paper Mario a lot better. Goomba King, the Ninja Koopas, Tubba Blubba, General Shy Guy, Tutankoopa, and most of the unique bosses were really cool, and each had a funny personality. :)

I'm not trying to defend it, but Super Paper Mario took place in a different dimesion than the 'regular' one.

Also, Tubba Blubba wasn't really unique. Have people forgotten about the little guys called Spikes that threw spiked balls at you in SMB3? The Clubbas of the PM games resemble Spikes alot.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:52:40 AM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »
For one thing, I really dislike that there are so many brand new characters in the game that don't even resemble older species. Characters like Croco, Bowyer, Smithy, Mack, and others don't really feel quite at home - and I hate how so many of the enemies are unique to this game.
I liked that, actually. SMRPG presumably takes place in a different area of the Mushroom Kingdom than in previous games, so new species and and enemies were invented. I also like it just for the sake that they're original-a small problem I have with Chapter 1 in the first two Paper Mario games is that most of the enemies are the generic Goombas, Koopas, etc. (TTYD did somewhat better, though, with the Bristles and such).

Enemies like Mack and Bowyer are obviously going to be different. They're minions of this strange robot guy who was unheard of before the game, so they are a different style than most other Mario enemies. Actually, thinking about that just made me appreciate SMRPG more.

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 04:23:12 PM »
liked that, actually. SMRPG presumably takes place in a different area of the Mushroom Kingdom than in previous games, so new species and and enemies were invented. I also like it just for the sake that they're original-a small problem I have with Chapter 1 in the first two Paper Mario games is that most of the enemies are the generic Goombas, Koopas, etc. (TTYD did somewhat better, though, with the Bristles and such).

I don't see what's the problem with having goombas and koopas as begining enemies - since they're the lowest of bowser's underlings, they work great as the begining enemies you face.

My problem with SMRPG isn't that it was being original. Paper Mario TTYD managed to be original while staying familiar as well. There were the mugger Piantas, the pirate bomb-ombs, and others like Grubba. They all feel at home in the mushroom world, and I really wish that SMRPG had more familiar species along with the new ones - it really doesn't have that many at all compared to all the other Mario RPG's (excluding Super Paper Mario).

I'm not trying to defend it, but Super Paper Mario took place in a different dimesion than the 'regular' one.

Also, Tubba Blubba wasn't really unique. Have people forgotten about the little guys called Spikes that through spiked balls at you in SMB3? The Clubbas of the PM games resemble Spikes alot

I know - it's just that I didn't like that. And I agree that the actual design of Tubba Blubba isn't unique, but I really like his personality. A big monster that eats ghosts and hides his heart in a windmill is pretty original to me. :)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 01:15:09 PM »
People say that Geno is so cool, but to me he just sounds like an average powerful hero character in all of his dialogue.
I fully agree. Geno is okay, but oh so horribly generic. Generic Geno.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 11:25:52 PM »
No, they're not.
You guys should never play any RPGs if you think SMRPG is monotonous. It actually has a very well crafted game engine with great control (unlike Paper Mario's sludgefest) and fighting a squad of enemies hardly takes any time anyway. If you don't fight enemies, how are you going to level up? And why complain about a Much More Fun Than Paper Mario battle system? And how does Paper Mario have a greater variety of enemies per location? (It doesn't. Fighting the same type of enemies in a given area is what happens with all RPGs.)

If you're describing it like that saying that you're supposed to kill the same thing over and over and over basically until you get to the next town and advance past it and kill more of the same harder enemies, then I guess RPGs are no fun at all.

I've played a couple different RPGs, and I don't understand how PM could be called a "sludgefest." The only difference I see between PM and other RPGs, really, is the fact that PM was a bit more ergonomic in terms of your layout of options and how simple they were, and the attack system is enjoyable. After seeing and trying to play some friends' RPGs, I tried Tales of Symphonia, that two disc Gamecube on and got kinda far, then realized wow this is boring.... so I went to play SMRPG on ZSNES instead.

They should fix Paper Mario in a sequel if they happen upon it. Super Paper Mario has been really annoying and it is literally the first Mario game in my life that I *haven't* wanted to finish. No more platformer-RPG crossovers. God, it's starting to remind me of those cheap, poorly-built, economy crapsters called "CROSSOVER SUVS FOR THE HARDCORE GREENIES AND SOCCER MOMS."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:34:30 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 01:08:35 AM »
Don't play any other games either, because you might fight groups of the same type of enemies in those games, too!
That was a joke.

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »
I voted for very over rated. I think its a good game and I like it, but no that much. Geno is the most overrated thing about it, as some of you have already said.

As someone said before, I think a Mario RPG parodying Square would be cool. I have though of that a little, but not that much. Maybe something bad happens to Luigi, and Mario becomes deeply depressed, and for some other reason he has to travel. And for even another reason, Luigi is the final boss... yes, again. Oops I think I just spoiled a game.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »
Well, that's what I do as well. Problem is, when you've killed 20 or 30 of the exact same enemy, you're less inclined to kill even more of that enemy. :\

Isn't that...Genocide? (Pun intended)

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 01:33:24 PM »
ProTip:  Adding the phrase "Pun intended" after a pun makes it less funny.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 01:50:18 PM »
I'd say it makes it a whole lot more funny than somebody saying "lol GENOcide." Or, the same person following it up with "GET IT? Genocide!" In short, a minor misdemeanor meriting a mere, measly moan.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »
I didn't get it or think of it until he said pun intended.  If you all caught on that quickly, then SMRPG must be very overrated!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Print