Print

Author Topic: Winter 2007 ADVANCED Poster Awards  (Read 34714 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2008, 02:04:12 PM »
I just noticed, all the medals have different sprites. That is cool.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
Indeed it is. Sapphira did that last year as well.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2008, 03:09:16 PM »
:D
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Jman

• Score
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2008, 02:24:51 AM »
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU!

Yeah, that's about the gist of it.  Like I said, like TIWIH, I had the misfortune of being exposed to this song just once, and I knew it had to be a smash hit with today's audience.  Me, I'm more into the Eagles and Queen.  By the way, another forum I'm on had a discussion on just how bad the song was, and one of the members brought up what some of the lyrics actually mean...and seriously, you don't want to know.  If you do know, then...I don't know, hats off?  Or should I be creeped out?
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2008, 07:51:38 AM »
WTD is that song even about, anyway?

You don't want to know. Actually even if you did want to know saying it would more than likely be bannable on these forums. Which is why it's so popular in the first place. Seriously, I laugh at all the "hip" girls who sing this song like it's the most amazing thing ever without realising how extraordinarily degrading it is to them.

Also, wow at me getting an award despite posting like 30 times this year total. Weeeeeee for attitude 180s. Though I'm still not giving up being a cynic, I'll probably give up being depressed and spiteful. That just wasn't fun.
~I.S.~

« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2008, 01:52:40 PM »
Though I don't ever recall hearing "This is Why I'm Hot", it's reminding me of one of the most terrible songs I've ever heard, called "Milkshake". There aren't many lyrics to it, but what's there is just.....stupid. XD

A friend of mine who lives in the city now once joked about if a male rapper, like Jay-Z or something, were to sing it.

And I remember Chris Rock joking about songs being degrading to women, even making up a rap song that commands men to do questionable stuff to them. The women just don't seem to care, as their excuse will always be the same:

"They ain't talkin' 'bout me!"

So, I've just, you know, stopped caring about many of the womens' opinions about music that's degrading to them, because a lot of the girls who listen to it just don't care, and the topic doesn't come up much with girls who don't listen to it. =/
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
What's even better is Soulja Boy's other song, "Yaah!". I kid you not, it's the same song, but with Soulja Boy apparently doing his best Howard Dean and going "Yaah! Yaaaayyagh!" the whole time.

I remember an age when hip-hop actually meant something more than degrading women, bragging about your leet clothing brands, and sampling your own songs. But that was long ago.
every

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2008, 12:33:34 AM »
And I remember Chris Rock joking about songs being degrading to women, even making up a rap song that commands men to do questionable stuff to them. The women just don't seem to care, as their excuse will always be the same:

"They ain't talkin' 'bout me!"

So, I've just, you know, stopped caring about many of the womens' opinions about music that's degrading to them, because a lot of the girls who listen to it just don't care, and the topic doesn't come up much with girls who don't listen to it. =/

I couldn't agree with you more. And it's all sad crap. It's really questionable. There's always going to be music like that. Maybe not so much if females would stop singing the degrading songs as if they're the best thing in the world. A lot of hip hop songs talk about women as if they were objects, made for men's pleasure.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2008, 07:56:23 AM »
Well, hey, if they want to sing it, go ahead and let 'em.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2008, 02:52:53 PM »
Well, I thought Chris Rock's bit was funny.

(Bleh, I was about to type Chris Crocker. I guess enough of a stupid internet thing can make that happen.)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Jman

• Score
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »
Well, I thought Chris Rock's bit was funny.

(Bleh, I was about to type Chris Crocker. I guess enough of a stupid internet thing can make that happen.)

Speaking of which, anyone hear about him (Crocker) getting his own reality television show?  I guess that figures.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2008, 12:53:20 AM »
This whole conversation reminds me of this, which thanks to some German band produced something awesome.

I totally don't mind nonsense lyrics, though, because with only rare exceptions (Weird Al, Kate Nash) the lyrics of songs wash without understanding over my brain anyway.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »
One Week/It's the End of the World As We Know It = Nonsense lyrics times ten

Speaking of which, anyone hear about him (Crocker) getting his own reality television show?  I guess that figures.
About what? Being gay? I knew this world was screwed up, but is posting a Britney Spears-support video on the internet really all it takes to make it big these days?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »
Leave Chris Crocker alone!!
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »
Whatever you say, Britney.

Print