Print

Author Topic: Is Game Boy dead?  (Read 29921 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »
It's SP.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2006, 10:24:47 PM »
Actually, the SP has been succeded by the micro. The GBA, the GBASP and the GBM are all the same system, just different designs and slightly different features. The SP was useful, but the micro was more so for novelty. The micro's screen is brighter, but you can get the same brightnesss on the DS, which can play GBA  games.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »
I think that all the diffrent versions of the GB are all just schemes to get money: I bought a GBA! Then one that is exactly the same, only you can close it, Oh no! I have to buy it again! (which I didn't) then ANOTHER one comes out! It can fit in the palm of your hand! I have to buy it again! (which I didn't) I wanted to buy these only that I knew it wouldn't make much of a difrence. Then they realease a whole new diffrent handheld (finally!) the DS! I wanted to go right out and buy it but I knew that there was going to be a better version of it eventually, so I wait, And now, Ta-Da!! We have the DS lite! I finally realized it.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2006, 10:50:37 PM »
Yes, I know from baseball how these companies make money. I've been through something similar with baseball bats.

So my cousin has the first model, the Advance. Same as the one they sell now called Micro but different case if I read you right.

I just punched it into Wikipedia and found that there were two SP models. One was brighter. I don't know if this was advertised or not but if it was it would be another marketing ploy to get you to buy somemthing new, right?

This repackaging strategy sounds a little strange. It would be like redesigning a car's exterior but keeping the same engine, transmission, and brakes (and other underpinnings). So you get a 2006 model that looks brand new but it drives the same as the 2001.

So to get to the title of this post, I'm guessing the Game Boy will never die as long as people keep coming up with new case designs for the same thing. The Wikipedia article I looked up says that they won't kill it off.

I also saw the older Game Boys (which I remember some kids having in elementary school) went through the same thing, although the cases looked more alike there.

So to get this straight--there have been three models of Game Boy and all have had case-only redesigns accounting for nearly a dozen models. And the DS is a different system and is not part of the Game Boy line. (I'm concluding it's to the Game Boy what the Accord is to the Civic in Honda's line--something bigger, more powerful, and better). I'm sorry for making all my comparisons to cars, but it helps someone who's not as up on things in the video game world to understand!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2006, 09:26:55 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_line

Read this, AB. It's got everything you need to know about the Game Boy Family.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 03:29:28 PM by The Chef »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2006, 10:29:08 AM »
Game Boy Micro cannot play any of the older Game Boy Games. SP is still the leader in Game Boys.
An improved screen is an improved screen. The new screen is much better, not so much a marketing ploy as an actual increase in quality. zomx
And the car analogy doesn't work. At all.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:31:16 AM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2006, 08:12:06 AM »
I don't think the Game Boy's dead, it's just going through some changes. It's still one of the best portable systems out on the market with and extended line of games.
Loyal nintendo fan since 1991! WTMK Is the best radio station EVER! Super Mario will never die!!!!!!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2006, 08:18:30 AM »
I think that all the diffrent versions of the GB are all just schemes to get money: I bought a GBA! Then one that is exactly the same, only you can close it, Oh no! I have to buy it again! (which I didn't) then ANOTHER one comes out! It can fit in the palm of your hand! I have to buy it again! (which I didn't) I wanted to buy these only that I knew it wouldn't make much of a difrence. Then they realease a whole new diffrent handheld (finally!) the DS! I wanted to go right out and buy it but I knew that there was going to be a better version of it eventually, so I wait, And now, Ta-Da!! We have the DS lite! I finally realized it.
You listed the Micro before the DS. The DS came out before the Micro.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2006, 08:26:10 AM »
I think with the DS and DS Lite, the GBA is slowly going away.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2006, 01:33:41 PM »
The DS and DS Lite are the same system. And they play GBA games. omx.
That was a joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »
I know that, Mr. Melee, it's onlly that I changed the topic from GB to DS!

« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2006, 03:46:22 PM »
I believe I read an IGN article some time ago, around E3, that Nintendo wouldn't release any more GBA, variations of old ones, or new kinds.  I would like it to continue, except that I rarely see any games not based on movies, TV shows, toys, or a combination of the three.  If there were more new (As in new ideas) games, that would be good.  Otherwise, I'll just stick with the DS
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »
Wait, it IS all just a marketing ploy: the DS Lite has no fewer calories than the regular DS!
every

« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2006, 08:37:47 PM »
^ Hehe.  'Made me chuckle.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

NBCGod

• Banned
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2006, 12:24:02 AM »
I don't really like the Gameboy.

Print