Print

Author Topic: Max lives in Super Mario Bros 128(easter eggs and/or coincidences)  (Read 3139 times)

« on: June 19, 2007, 01:38:33 PM »
In Super Mario All-Stars, when you play Super Mario Bros. and do the trick where you jump on the shell and it hits the block and you keep repeating to get lives, you max out at 128. Coincidence? I think so because it came out in 1992, but that's pretty interesting, does anyone if there are anymore easter eggs or coincidences like this?
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:58:23 PM »
The lives variable is stored as a signed byte.  A byte is 8-bits, which means that it can hold 256 values.  Since the byte has a +/- sign, one of the bits is used up, leaving 7-bits.  The maximum value that you can hold with 7-bits is 128 (or 127 if starting count from 0).

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:13:30 PM »
So, ultimately, I guess it's not a coincidence, since Mario 64(and inturn 128) were named with bits in mind. Way to break it down though, interesting.
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:39:05 PM »
It's just 2, doubled over and over and over and over and over...
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:53:10 PM »
I saw the topic title and thought somebody was going to say that they found MaxVance living in Super Mario 128..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 09:39:36 PM »
That's what I thought, too.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 08:00:13 AM »
I thought someone had renamed it or something.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print