Print

Author Topic: Debates- Console Emulation  (Read 2878 times)

« on: November 05, 2000, 12:15:40 AM »
We all know the defenses of both camps, both pro- and anti- emulation.  I was just curious what some of the opinions about console emulation are at the TMK boards.  So, like, post your opinion, or something.

The discussion is over the pros, cons, supporters and defenders against emulation.

And just to start things off...
...I won't post my opinion.
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2000, 01:30:28 AM »
Personally, I think emulation is kinda lame.  Playing a rom on the computer just isn't the same as playing and owning the real thing.  With an emulator, you're stuck navigating with the stupid keyboard, hunched over in a computer chair, squinting at the monitor.  The emulator I *used* to use, wouldn't let me save my progress!  Frustration!!  When you own the acutal game though, you can check out the cool box art, flip through the manual, etc., etc.  Most importantly though, you get to use a familiar controller, and play the game on a nice TV screen.

As far as legality is concerned, I think that if a game is 10-15+ years old, a rom of the game should be acceptable, just because the company that produced the original game isn't making any money off it anyway.

Just my two(2) cents.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2000, 03:16:21 PM »
I do like the emulation of Arcade games.  Did anyone hear of the game Haunted Castle?  Only a few people got to play this until MAME came out.  Also, some emulators allow you to take screenshots of games.  Good for making maps or taking screenshots for websites.  I remember in some old Nintendo books I have, the authors had to take pictures of the screen using a camera.  Not good.  I understand the companies point.  If anyone has played shadowgate for Nintendo, it is the same as the pc version and gameboy versions they just released.I could see someone use the emu instead of buying the pc version.  That would ruin sales.  But emus are good if you have a game but no system.  I have FFIII for SNES, but my brother has our SNES out at college.  Thisway, I can still play FFIII.Just a few thoughts of my own.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2000, 05:02:45 PM »
I don't have anything against Emulation. It allows people to get together with games they once owned, and lost, or games they never did but always wanted to paly. Also, there's translated ROMS-the origanal reason I got into it. Such games as Earthbound 0 are simply remarkable. It allows people to play games they simple couldn't of. I agree though, it's not the same. When I'm deciding wheater or not to buy a used game, I generaly download the rom, give it a spin, and then purchase it, you know? Until we meet again, and sorry I havn't been here for awile.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Print