Print

Author Topic: Friend codes = stupid  (Read 5381 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:05:57 PM »
It's been about half a year-ish since Nintendo came out with the Wii, and it's great in all accounts except online. Is Nintendo really this inexperienced with online that they need to use the friend code system? I'm so tired of having to write down a friend's code and type it in my Wii, only to find out I got one digit wrong. It's complicated, messy, and makes me feel like some sort of bar-coded clone. Is this supposed to harken back to the days of the NES, when kids would exchange cheat codes and tips at school? Really, it's sad. What Nintendo should do is just use a system like Xbox Live or PlayStation Network where you can just select a friend's profile and you're done. If Nintendo doesn't do this, I doubt anyone other than dedicated Wii fans will want to play online.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:38:06 PM »
Just because you lazy kids don't take the small amount of time to memorize your code... Also, ever heard of a phone? It's amazing, it's like the person's in your house and you're in theirs! You can see your code and they can see theirs. Anyway, I think the idea of friend codes is to ensure that anyone of any age can add someone they know to their friends list--small children seeing other people's potentially offensive profiles isn't good. Sure, it takes a little longer (not really, I'd imagine searching for one user among thousands would take a lot longer than entering a 16-digit number) but if it means no one gets sued then it's all good.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »
Meh, I've never used friend codes or gone online before, so I wouldn't know. From what I understand, pals of mine that have used friend codes for their Wiis haven't had problems, so...
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 05:06:02 PM »
Anyway, I think the idea of friend codes is to ensure that anyone of any age can add someone they know to their friends list--small children seeing other people's potentially offensive profiles isn't good.
That's probably why. I bet Nintendo will eventually shed this system, though.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 06:27:51 PM »
Bird Person is correct; they realize the disadvantages but are using friend codes to try and maintain safety for youngsters.
And yeah, it doesn't take any longer, really. People like Glorb just have psychological barriers that keep them from realizing that.
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 06:34:42 PM »
I have a psychological barrier that prevents me from playing online games in the first place.  :P

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 06:44:03 PM »
What, you have, like, a brain firewall or something?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »
I wouldn't mind if Nintendo fleshed out their online system since it's so bare bones now.

It wouldn't really matter to me though, since I can't play online because of no access to Wi-Fi, plus I prefer playing alone then with others.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 06:57:27 PM »
What, you have, like, a brain firewall or something?

Yeah, it's built in. I've tried to get it removed, but Microsoft can't understand why I'd want it removed. Everytime I ask, I just get a voicemail from Bill Gates ending with a cackling "hahaha". Creepy.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 07:03:31 PM »
I get the bizarre feeling that we aren't discussing the same thing...
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 07:05:09 PM »
Perhaps. I have a firewall built into my head that won't let me play online. Everytime I ask to get it removed, Bill Gates laughs at me.

Yeah, it's a pretty poor joke, huh.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 09:25:12 PM »
A single friend code wouldn't have been too bad.  Kinda like ICQ vs. every other IM service I guess.  It's the fact that you have to get a new long string of randomness for every game.  Also, the fact that you can't actually find people to add but have to talk to them offline (from the system) and then enter everything manually is a serious shortcoming.  Bird Person's excuses are rather weak, but I guess if you have no expectations from what other systems have been doing well for years, you might not see that.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 12:49:18 AM »
I'm not a fan of the codes, they put in a feature to disable internet use for kids anyways. But I don't mind it that much anyways, I just hope they make away to face random people online in Brawl. I heard at e3 they are supposed to present something to the effect of xbox live for Wii. So.. We'll see. I have no online games yet, so I have no clue how to use the multiplayer wifi yet.
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 12:57:33 PM »
I hate the argument of "Friend codes don't suck because it's just a number". Okay, but why should I have to type in a megadigit code just to play with my friends online, when I can just click on my friend's Xbox Live profile in three seconds? I don't have to type in some code to get on the internet, or to email someone. I just think it's needlessly messy. Just because it takes a few seconds after you're used to it doesn't mean it's convenient or helpful.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 01:04:26 PM »
You only have to do it once per person... you knew that, correct? You don't have to enter a friend code every time you play.
It's YOUR problem!

Print