Print

Author Topic: The DS sucks.  (Read 8881 times)

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:58:41 PM »
I'm not sure if this should fit in (insert adjective here), but perhaps it should deserve its own topic. Mods, feel free to move it as you wish. Anyway...

Don't get me wrong. I love my phat, silver DS. It is a source of many hours of enjoyment.

Unfortunately, it has become a source of many hours of frustration. Thanks to fast and furious Tetris and Mario Kart playing, my shoulder buttons started wearing out on my phat.

Curiously, I decided to buy a triwing screwdriver and check it out. My first obstacle was a damaged screw. A flathead fixed that. Next, I pulled out the shoulder buttons, spring and all. Then, I put them back in, closed it up, and noticed that the shoulder buttons were tighter and even more unresponsive than ever.

This is where I ask you, the TMK public: how do I restore my DS phat's shoulder buttons? And have any of you suffered DS degradation? Has your rectangular brick suffered from worn-outedness?

Edit: By the way, I've had mine since December 2004 and never in my life have I bought two of a console or handheld.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 11:01:22 PM by Sunbun »
"Sunbun is...doing whatever Sunbun does" -WarpRattler

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:00:22 PM »
The shoulder buttons on my old DS wore out after being knocked down many times by my cat. Perhaps you should just get a new DS.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:22:54 PM »
Does Nintendo sell extra parts? Maybe they have shoulder buttons and springs.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:04:12 AM »

It's not the parts that have problems, it's the assembly that's frustrating me. Both the shoulder buttons and springs are in good shape, save for flesh wounds and dirt on the buttons.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:57:27 PM »
Extra systems tend to make more money. Fiddle if you want (sounds like it's shot either way), but you're probably better off buying a new DS Lite (or a used DS/Lite, if you want to save some cash--and really, who doesn't?).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »
I checked Nintendo's site. It doesn't really give help on fixing buttons, though it doesn't hurt to check again.

Is your DS under warranty? Perhaps you could call Nintendo to fix it. If it's not under warranty, then you'll have to pay.

The only other piece of advice I have to give is to maybe wash the dirt on the buttons. Hey, it might work (That is, if it's the bottom of the buttons that are dirty).
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:27:22 PM »
Is your DS under warranty? Perhaps you could call Nintendo to fix it. If it's not under warranty, then you'll have to pay.

Usually, warranties expire automatically if the console is opened up. Then again, I'm not sure if that applies to handhelds.

If it's the older model, it's most definitely over a year old, so the warranty must have expired anyway.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 07:18:56 PM »
I wish my DS was under warranty. It's almost three years old. Would've saved $70 or so.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »
Replace it. With a Lite. Don't trust Chupperson--my Lite's L and R buttons went nuts of course, but I am me... C'mon, the tip of the stylus is, like, semitransparent.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 10:11:06 PM »
The DS Lite's brightness is something to behold, too.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 10:25:42 PM »
Why a Lite? I think the Phat is superior, but that's just my opinion, and yes, the Lite is good for its brightness.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:20 PM »
How much Lite have you played? Because I was pretty meh about it until I actually played one, and then I could never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever look at a Phat again. Ever.

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »
I like the Lite and its shiny, sexy surface. The screen's pretty good too.

I doubt I'll get one, though. My family has a "live with it or deal with it yourself" rule or something.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 11:58:58 PM »
Why a Lite? I think the Phat is superior, but that's just my opinion, and yes, the Lite is good for its brightness.

Towards the end of my Phat's lifespan (Before I had to replace it due to a failing battery and a broken screen),I noticed that the phat was much more heavy, bulky and uncomfortable to hold then I remember it. I have no such problems with the lite.

I seriously wouldn't recommend buying a lite if you already have a phat in good condition, since the practically the same (in terms of hardware and technology), but the lite is definately better in terms of ergonomics, brightness, and portability (since it's smaller).
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 12:02:31 AM »
The Phat's screen is like the N64 analog stick. It seemed cool at the time, but only in hindsight do you realize what an abomination it was.

Print