Print

Author Topic: Earthbound/Mother topic  (Read 7909 times)

« on: November 21, 2007, 10:06:04 PM »
One day, while searching the search engine, I came upon a fearful sight. No Earthbound topic! So, just for the heck of it, a Earthbound topic, and, to super-fans, Mother and Mother 3. So...who is worse? Pokey or Giygas?

Giygas: Member of bizzare alien race. Raised by George and Maria, George steals the secret physic powers of the aliens, and passes it down to his grandson, Ninten. Giygas, enraged, tries to take over the world through support of the evil in Earth. He is eventully confronted by Ninten, and forced to retreat, due to a loving song. He returns 10 years later, and with amazing power, destroys his mind, and becomes his own evil dimension. Ness eventully defeats him.

Pokey: Living next door to Ness, Pokey was the smart evil. Pokey joins the Happy Happy Cult, and when Ness comes by to save Paula, Pokey orders the Cult to kill Ness. Pokey escapes, then joining the possesed Mr. Monotoni (Did I get that right?) uses extreme political power. However, when Mr. Monotoni goes back to normal, Pokey steals his helicopter, and crashes in a poison swamp. Later, he helps Giygas in the final battle, and causes his horrfying real form to be revealed. Pokey escapes, in terror, to the future, taunting Ness as he escapes from the hellish Giygas dimension. Pokey travels through time, capturing people from diffrent eras, and brainwashing them. He comes to the far, immesurable future, where the land was destryoed by technology, and the last people had escaped to Nowhere Island to erase thier memories to forget technology. Pokey comes from the past however, and using his brainwashed army, creates the Pig Mask Army, and creating technology all over again. Eventully, a team of four, Lucas, Kuma, Duster, and Boney come to face him. Using his spider-mech, he faces them off, each member of the group having something terrible having happened beacause of Pokey's unholy technology. Pokey is not defeated however. He locks himself in the Absolutely Safe Machine. He is invincible. He can never die. Although, he is locked in. Pokey will live forever, but he can never escape.

Yeah, the Pokey thing is bigger, but Pokey is a much more intresting character. Just a starter topic for the topic.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:21:48 PM »
Bet you saw this coming: I'll make the first reply.

I freakin' love EarthBound. Too much. It needs a Virtual Console release so I can pay Nintendo for it, as do Mother and Mother 3. I only ever played the ROM in SNEmulDS. To everyone reading this post: do yourselves a favor and get the ROM and an emulator. It's not unethical yet.

Pokey is just about the coolest villain ever. "Ah... what's your name... Pig's Butt... no no, Ness!" The greatest thing is how realistic he is in personality--he's way too cowardly to ever do anything but insult you until the end, when he's heavily armed and has Giygas to help. He's hardly ready to insult you face-to-face unless he has big beefy security guards who will do whatever he says. Heavily Armed Pokey needs to be a Subspace Emissary boss in Brawl. But that probably won't happen...

Hey, EarthBound takes place WAY longer than ten years after Mother. I think you're confused--ten years after EarthBound, Giygas has completely taken over the world. I'd say the time between each game in the series is at least 200 years.

It's Monotoli.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »
Heavily Armed Pokey for Brawl!

Yes, it would seem Mother is being a little more focused upon in Brawl. A Brawl character (Lucas) and a stage (New Pork City) is confirming a importance! Yes, Pokey as a Boss or Assist Trophy. Regarding the 200 year gap between Mother and Earthbound,  the technology hasn't changed much.  On another note, it's unfortunate the creator is ending the series as a trilogy. Although, what could the sequel be about anyway(?). I wonder what Pokey would look like with a haircut. (As in, you could see his eyes)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 10:07:01 AM »
Is there any website... or something... anything, somewhere explain why they refuse to release anymore of these games here?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »
I only have the original Earthbound/Mother 2 on the SNES. It's cool to have, but I almost never play it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 11:20:52 AM »
Beacause, it wouldn't "Be profitable". Umm...right.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 12:41:54 PM »
Wasn't he Giegue before he was Giygas? Or is this a Gannon vs. Ganon type deal?

Oh, and in the hopes of a slim chance Mother 3 will be released outside Japan, I had to skip like half your post.

As for Piggy, read Lord of the Flys, It makes his impact that much more profound, IMHO.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 03:27:16 PM »
It is Giygas in the only game that was released here and in Melee trophy descriptions. On a similar matter, they'd better change "Porky" to "Pokey" on the sign in New Pork City for Brawl.

Pokey was some dumb fat kid who went evil for some reason, and got trapped in a machine in the final game.
Even though his family was evidently rich, his parents neglected him and his brother and he was jealous of Ness (suggested by Pokey as he appears in Magicant). He might have also been born with no eyes. Somehow Picky turned out all right.
It's YOUR problem!

Boo Dudley

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 06:29:02 PM »
It is Giygas in the only game that was released here and in Melee trophy descriptions. On a similar matter, they'd better change "Porky" to "Pokey" on the sign in New Pork City for Brawl.

Yes, but both are referring to his demigod form, not his corporeal form.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 03:42:50 PM »
I fished old Earthbound out today. I'm currently battling that Titanic Ant guy.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 02:25:41 AM »
Pokey's worse. He's the EarthBound equivalent of... er... Professor Snape, Cartman, Mido (little Kokiri brat in Zelda: OoT)... not sure who, but Pokey's pretty bad.

Love EarthBound, keep hoping Nintendo would re-release EarthBound and get Mother 3 over to America. Boy was it refreshing to fight stray dogs and new age retro hippies for a change. Here's hoping for a reference to the Sky Runner in brawl.

Lucas' recent PK Starstorm move does look awesome (looks like it even destroys the stage itself!), but if they're going to bring back animated entrances from the first Smash Bros., they owe it to the fans to bring back that black explosion look. You know, what happens when you use Teleport and crash into something.

Not sure what my favorite moment in EarthBound was, aside from the Sky Runner music, but the Lost Underworld was a pleasant surprise. Moonside is one place I'd never like to return to, too many memories of going into there when my party was underpowered.

...oh wait, I remember my favorite moment. Meeting the Crested Booka! Love those guys. That Crested Booka drawing by goosezilla is still the best EarthBound fanart I've ever seen. Followed by a cute realistic-looking Exit Mouse holding the exit sign with its tail.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »
Dude, Earthbound rocks. I just beat the Happy Happy cult. I don't think I've ever had so much fun with a SNES game.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »
I'd say the time between each game in the series is at least 200 years.
No, no, I'm so stupid! The time between Mother and Mother 2 is at least 90 years. Mother takes place in the early 1900s and EarthBound takes place in "199X." I don't know when Mother 3 is supposed to happen.
It's YOUR problem!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 08:27:42 PM »
Starmen.net says that Mother took place in the 1980's. But what do I know?
No! I don't want that!

Boo Dudley

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 01:39:50 PM »
No, no, I'm so stupid! The time between Mother and Mother 2 is at least 90 years. Mother takes place in the early 1900s and EarthBound takes place in "199X." I don't know when Mother 3 is supposed to happen.

No, the beginning of the plot for Mother took place in the early nineteen hundreds, When Ninten's Great Grand Parents were abducted, and I quote "80 years later". Now this doesn't necessarily mean the 80s, but definitely not the early nineteen hundreds.

Print