Print

Author Topic: What [ticks] me off is...  (Read 81228 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »
Haha, well said! Having responsible teams or individuals continuously making Linux better is an excellent system.

I can't help but wonder what the safety of that is, but I'm sure you have an excellent answer for it.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2008, 06:09:57 PM »
Well that's what the dev teams for Linux distros are doing already. It would just be nice to have unified support for some of the standards that Linux doesn't yet natively support.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2008, 07:10:50 PM »
Hooray for Linux!! I've been using it for about 5 months now, and I have very few complaints. Everything just works (more or less).
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2008, 04:43:39 PM »
The use of the term "core" in reference to videogame enthusiasts like us (or at least those who still enjoy what constituted a videogame three years ago) needs to stop. "Core" means "central"; it means "the main thing"; it means "primary and #1". If "core gamers", the term that pops up in the press releases and interviews of Nintendo bigwigs from all corners of the globe, really were what the moniker implied, then there wouldn't be a 5:1 ratio of stuff like Endless Ocean versus stuff like Twilight Princess. Then again, I can't really think of a decent substitute, either. "Vetran gamers"? "Fans"? I don't know, just... whatever. Whatever.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2008, 06:56:03 PM »
What needs to be stopped is creating games with either "hardcore" or "casual" gamers in mind. "I've got this sweet RTS game in mind, but it's for a casual audience, so it's super-simplified and has an art style that consists of primary colors." Just make games, fer cryin' out loud.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2008, 09:06:05 PM »
They're called "core" because they're expanding their market.  What do you expand from if not a core?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »
What needs to be stopped is creating games with either "hardcore" or "casual" gamers in mind. "I've got this sweet RTS game in mind, but it's for a casual audience, so it's super-simplified and has an art style that consists of primary colors." Just make games, fer cryin' out loud.
Absolutely. I liked the GameCube (and back) era better, because Nintendo just made games. I mean, whether it was Pokemon Channel or Pikmin 2, they spent more time making good games and les timne obsessing over which of two catagories to place it in. I used to be just a gamer; now, all of a sudden, I feel like I'm sort of statistical, obsessed Nintendo hanger-on from the last generation just because I want games that are actually... oh, jeez, what's the word... it's on the tip of my tounge... oh, yeah; games.

« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2008, 11:01:19 PM »
What ticks me off is when people think too much about these things instead of actually enjoying the games they purchased.

I've said that too many times, yet it doesn't seem to be heard by the ears that need to hear it.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2008, 11:17:20 PM »
Care to elaborate?

« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2008, 12:32:49 AM »
It means that you've been complaining about Nintendo since the day you registered at this forum and I know I'm not the only one who finds it annoying.

The bold statements you make don't help much, as MEGAߥTE has been able to give fairly strong arguments for all of them. You also seem to believe with these statements of yours that EVERYONE here has the same state of mind as you on these issues.

I know I don't. I could bet you I can count on more than one hand the amount of other users that don't either.

What happened to just buying the video games and enjoying them? You're taking apart all these unnecessary things about Nintendo and criticizing these things for no reason.

Honestly, besides the fact that the way we can play video games has evolved, I have not found many differences between this video game generation and the four previous ones. Nintendo made games, and competitors made games too. I enjoyed Nintendo's games within the 16 or 17 years I've played video games, period. Don't care about the why, don't care about the how, I just have faith that Nintendo will continue to make my life enjoyable with their stuff.

Yet you point out the apparent mistakes Nintendo has made (getting worked up over tri-lingual manuals? Really, what's the point?) and act as if Nintendo has sinned and cannot repent with the way they're going.

Why? Nintendo has been kicking a lot of butt in the video game industry lately with what they've been doing. I'd also like to quote a common phrase: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

Nintendo isn't "broken". They seem to be knowing what they're doing here. Just have a little faith in them, please?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:02:10 AM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2008, 12:56:13 AM »
Care to elaborate?
* Bird Person is influential

Everyone wins? Care to elaborate?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2008, 01:55:40 AM »
I'm having a really hard time figuring out how the games Nintendo makes now aren't "games" by ShadowBrain's standards and yet all the other 38920 types of games that are nothing like each other are all de facto games.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
The point is, Nintendo is obsessed with doing minigame collections, brain-training things, and exercise games. SMG isn't enough to make up for the fact that so far, Nintendo hasn't really been devoted itself to making any full-length, quality games.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »
^ Nail = Hit on the head.

Nintendo isn't "broken". They seem to be knowing what they're doing here. Just have a little faith in them, please?
I've had faith in Nintendo ever since I was six or seven years old and started playing videogames--Nintendo consoles and handhelds are the only videogame systems I own, and the last thing I want to do is criticize Nintendo for no reason. Heck, a few years back, I eventually had to force myself to regulate my game intake, as I reached a point where I considered buying literally every GameCube game published by Nintendo. Believe me, if a younger version of myself came into the future, he'd probably be astounded that what was getting into heated arguments over how much Nintendo is going downhill. But, back on topic, what's the point of looking for reasons for a game to bug me? Those reasons are just staring me right in the face when I play most of the games I've picked up recently.

Now, don't get me wrong; like I said, Nintendo was the best thing since sliced bread to me in the past, and I still think they're doing some great things now. I mean, just to even out the anti-Nintendo rant here (yes, I'm just going to admit that's pretty much what it boils down to), I'm not getting a PS3 because it's, like, $500 for what's probably already on the 360. And the 360? If I want the Halo games, Bioshock, and the Orange Box, I've got this other thing by Microsoft called a computer.

Speaking of faith, this is going to sound odd, but I'm going to say it because I myself have been wondering why all this Nintendo stuff bugs me so much and I think I've pinned down the reason: I, for all intents and purposes, do not believe in God; I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just saying that that is my personal belief. That being said, I'm of the mind that, religious or not, every person has something that acts as a God in their life, keeping them out of trouble and giving them hope for the future. Once again, I'm not saying I'm one of those emo MySpacers with alkie parents and bullies at school; on the contrary, I love my parents incredibly and I'm a straight-A student, but for me most of my life, videogames (and Nintendo therein) has just been something that... I don't know, I'm not in some weird Nintendo cult, or mentally ill, or anything, but they've just been something that keeps me running in this crazy world--and when, all of a sudden, they've gone from "PLAY IT LOUD" and "Who Are You?" to trying to sell brain-trainers (**** whoever decided that had to become a new genre) and dog-petting sims to my (obviously uninterested) mom, something kind of snaps, you know? No, well, you probably don't, but I say the things I say because this is the only place I can go to to feel better and express my pent-up frustration. They're opinions, I'm a person, not everyone likes change.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:18:44 AM by ShadowBrain »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2008, 12:00:11 PM »
So you're saying that Nintendo isn't marketing their established franchise games, and are only pushing their outreach games? 'Cause I don't see that happening. Also, people decided to start making Brain Training games because they sell. The fact that your mom, one person, isn't interested, doesn't mean a whole lot in comparison with the thousands of people who are. My point is, you're relying way too much on firsthand experience to have an objective view of the marketplace here.
That was a joke.

Print