Print

Author Topic: What Do You Actually Do At Your Job?  (Read 5495 times)

« on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »
I was just thinking that while I know the job of many people here, I don't really know what they actually do and their position and stuff like that. I bet the same applies to you!

-----------------------------------------------

I work at Hastings and am the Lifestyles Team Leader, which translates in English to music manager. I'm essentially the boss of the music department and set displays and new releases, order stuff we need extra of (most incoming shipments are corporate automated), set local artists up to sell their stuff with us on consignment and pay local artists who have sold, and tell n00bs working in music what to do. Oh yeah, and lots and lots of helping people find whatever random CD they're looking for and/or ordering stuff for them. Technically videogames and boutique (which is all the junk like T-shirts, toys, trinkets (think Hot Topic/Spencers)) are also in my domain but both have their own dedicated person so I don't worry about them unless something goes seriously awry.

I'm also café-trained so I cover a lot of baristi's breaks and even work the occasional full café shift. They are all female so I also spend a lot of time hitting on said baristi.

All in all, it beats my last job of selling makeup over the telephone.

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 08:27:25 PM »
I work at Syracuse University for a political science professor, in the Maxwell Building, or Egger's Hall, or Cotter Opinion Research, and sometimes even Wilson Opinion  Research, depending on the type of survey being done.  I basically, after eating, grab a list of people to call, and a handful of surveys, and start calling away.  Lately it's only been political polls, so I have to ask for a specific, registered voter in the house.  If they agree to take it, usually by convincing them a 10 minute survey won't take more than 3, I just go through the survey in front of me, and mark down their answers, then giving it to another guy to enter the data.  This is not a job for the fragile of will.  I get a lot of hang-ups, denials, and an occasional agitated yelling.  On a few occasions, I've done research for the professor, too, either for a book he's doing, or for his class.  I try to stay in the main reception area, since that's where you have a lot of fun, making fun of people we've called, and my buddy brings in his ipod for everyone to listen to.  The only drawback is that there is no regularity to it.  There could be work every week for months, or nothing for just as much time.  Also, the way the professor makes the schedule is that he sends an email to every one with the days the survey is being done, and the people just reply with their preferred days, just hoping for more days. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 09:04:39 PM »
I work at my father's office, a small ad agency that's still climbing the business ladder.

I sit at a computer all day, probably with Adobe Photoshop and other programs of the like open, as well as answer the phones and such, from about 9 in the morning until around 6 in the evening.

My pay is about $75, weekly.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I leave about three hours earlier, as I have band class (though I've withdrawn as a student at SCCC for a semester, the conductor was nice enough to let me stay in the band).

Until I got my license and drove myself, my father drove me for a very short time. I was also forced to eat whatever was ordered for lunch, though that wasn't much of a big deal, now I just go out on lunch breaks myself.

Also, according to my father, I seem to know a thing or two about Mac troubleshooting, so I also go around fixing any problems that occur on any of the Macs in the office (a good percentage of the computers are Windows as well).

So yeah that's my job now.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »
from about 9 in the morning until around 6 in the evening.

My pay is about $75, weekly.
Dude, that's not legal. I hope you do virtually no work per day, otherwise you're a slave and should skedaddle!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:32:03 PM by Suffix »

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »
I'm a custodian (a nice way of saying janitor) at about 2 main buildings and I fill in for other workers when they can't make it.

I usually work about 2-3 hours every night except for weekends and my main duties are taking out the trash, restocking bathrooms and vacuuming.

Also, since I'm employed by my parents company, there's almost no way for me to be fired, although I'm not a slacker.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:32:47 PM »
Dude, that's not legal. I hope you do virtually no work per day, otherwise you're a slave and should skedaddle!

1. It's my father's office. No interview occured nor were working papers needed. Just like my last job where I only worked on Saturdays.
2. It's not like it's back-breaking physical labor. I'm not complaining about the pay. I wasn't forced to go and work, both my father and I see it as a good way to get out of the house and get money while doing so.

But yeah, I don't do a whole TON of work, most the rough stuff is left for the actual employees.

Max: I don't know either, but the most important people in the office (my father, the people he merged companies with) use Macs.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:34:32 PM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:39:52 AM »
What's this decade-late Mac elitism? When was the last time Macs were actually better at graphics apps?

I am one of two video game guys at Vintage Stock. I basically "process" whatever games and game systems we buy that haven't been filed and/or put out on their respective shelves yet. This basically means looking in the Video Game Cubby and getting everything I can out, print barcode stickers for them, and put them out. A lot of games take a detour to my collection before they are put out though. I also end up maintaining order for a good deal of the section, alphabetizing what's out or organizing what's not. And keeping the demo console shelf in good working order. Our store is pretty small, so sometimes we're overrun with mass quantities of stuff that takes forever to put out. This is aggravated by the fact that 100% of us are also clerks.
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:50:11 AM »
What's this decade-late arguing whether Macs or PCs are better?

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »
I work at McDonalds. I'm usually one of the guys who put the sandwiches together and stuff. I'm also technically a manager, though I don't really do any managing.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 04:05:58 PM »
I am still in school, man
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »
I am a lifeguard. I get paid to be good at swimming, get a tan, and save people form death.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 06:06:57 PM »
When I was a lifeguard, I got paid to sit/stand around, bake, not get a tan, and tell little chumps to stay out of the lap lanes. I only had to enter the water to remove "waste" material.

I just wanted to contrast that rather misleading description... But I'm unemployed currently. I was turned down for a job at Student Computer Services, probably because I couldn't think of a joke at the interview. ("This is a casual sort of interview, so could you please think of a joke?" "...Ah... no, not off the top of my head.")

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 07:08:11 PM »
Well, during breaks and summer vacation, I work at a Cuisine, and I just wash dishes, go with a driver for deliveries, and that's just about it.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 07:14:07 PM »
If I got asked that for a Computer Services interview, I would say:

"Why do programmers celebrate Christmas on Halloween?"

Because oct 31 is dec 25.                                                 

Awesome interview question, BTW IMO.

Print