Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers  (Read 45467 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2009, 07:30:44 PM »
Of course they're never going to be worth a "playable starring role" if they don't get a playable starring role. This is like saying "that guy isn't a good author because he's never written a book".
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »
What do they not have? Why would you demote them to a status that's way too cliched for it's own good?

How is it cliched if they've never appeared in anything outside of a spin-off?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2009, 12:43:58 AM »
That was the point. He and Wario would be the second set of Bros. in M&L4, and eventually they form a quartet, Four Swords-style.

But not if Wario is too busy putting out his own games... hence my statement that Waluigi probably wouldn't work by himself.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2009, 06:36:11 AM »
That's the great thing about fictional characters.  They can't ever be too busy with one project.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2009, 08:52:12 AM »
I don't think Wario would LET Waluigi tag along on an adventure.

I don't think having Wario and Waluigi tag along with Mario and Luigi would be any good. See the change in overworld action between Superstar Saga and Partners in Time? Two is better.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »
But in Partners in Time the babies just rode around on the Bros.'s backs until you seperated them. I'm talking something more along the lines of Four Swords, where you can control the four of them in various formations and orders. This would allow for a ton of different Bros. Attack combination possibilities.

Besides, I thought I managed to convince you that having Wario and Waluigi in an M&L game would be a good idea, BP. :P

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »
Have you forgotten BP's trip to the future?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2009, 03:54:20 PM »
Some time after that I convinced him otherwise. Go on #tmk more often.

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »
I don't think having Wario and Waluigi tag along with Mario and Luigi would be any good. See the change in overworld action between Superstar Saga and Partners in Time? Two is better.

The change wasn't really that bad, was it? I mean, I've started new files recently in both M&L games, end they play pretty similarly to eachother. I don't really notice any major changes (besides new moves added anyway..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2009, 04:45:17 PM »
I liked two better, but the way I figure it, it could work with M&L&W&W if there were different pairings for the bros.' moves; that is, not strictly "M&L" and "W&W" attacks. If each bro paired up with each other bro, there would be six different combinations, the same number as in SS.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »
Some time after that I convinced him otherwise. Go on #tmk more often.
It hasn't worked for me in a while. I think the campus network might be blocking some essential tubes or something.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »
or eight, if you found the two Secret Scrolls.

I don't know why, but I could see Wario as the one to drink water, and Mario whacking him over the head to make him cough it up.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2009, 07:51:06 AM »
Toad: It wasn't so bad, no, but I hated having to toss the babies to do ANYTHING. I can only imagine having four characters walking around and having two able to use some special moves at once would be a fat disgusting mess of disorganization and inadequacy. And

If each bro paired up with each other bro, there would be six different combinations, the same number as in SS.

You sound like you want each pair to have one special move. That would be awful. In SS it was great because of the large number of moves both used individually and made from teamwork. and both Mario and Luigi got new moves simultaneously (not counting the bonus Bros. attacks). A game where there are six special moves and either you get them all at once and never get more (MESS) or they're spread out over the game (NO WAY MAN)? No way man.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
It still seems better than separating the moves into "solely M&L" and "solely W+Wal". I'm not sure how the secret scrolls or something similar would even work with all four, anyway...  I also definitely want to see a return in elenmental attacks.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »
Let's see, here's all the possible team-ups:

Mario & Luigi
Mario & Wario
Mario & Waluigi
Luigi & Wario
Luigi & Waluigi
Wario & Waluigi

That's six. If you take the three original special move types from SS: Jump, Hammer and Hand and apply them to the above six teams (one for each Bro on each team), you get a total of 36 possible move opportunities. It would take a really BIG game to apply all of them, and naturally all four Bros. would have to earn them at the same time when you receive the Jump and Hammer.

This isn't even counting whatever M&L and W&W exclusive stuff they could add in either. There's enormous potential here, folks.

Print