Print

Author Topic: Metroid: Other M  (Read 23698 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Including all the FMV sequences they have? Their intention was to have ALL the cutscenes blend seamlessly into the game, and avoid that FMV-to-real time disconnect that most games have.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 03:31:52 PM »
A recolor wouldn't have been that difficult.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
In FMV sequences?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 07:36:31 PM »

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2010, 07:51:58 PM »
Looking up spoilers to games before they even release...

*slowly shakes his head in wonder*

Someday you people will learn how to not ruin your own lives on purpose.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »
Someday you'll learn that not everyone cares whether they know what happens in a work.  As if knowing something and experiencing it yourself are the same thing.  And as if everyone didn't know that Ridley would be returning anyway.

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2010, 09:01:13 PM »
It's not the same thing, but foreknowledge lessens an experience. Looking up info about a game you KNOW you're going to play is a short-sighted lack of self control that harms your future for no good reason. It's your money; knock yourself out, but you're cheapening the value.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »
I'm sorry you feel that way, but spoilers have never cheapened anything for me.

So there's going to be a Hard Mode.  In Hard, enemies do the same amount of damage... but all the expansions are removed, forcing a low-percent run!

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2010, 09:23:31 PM »
You probably self-spoil so much that you don't even appreciate what's happening.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »
This is what I was talking about with that music overexposure picture on YL,YL.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »
That was quite a different matter though. Being able to figure out the artist of a song and quickly access their other work - that's a totally rad use of technology and is an example of getting access to MORE to experience for yourself.

The analog to what Turtlekid1 (and Chef, WeeGee, et al.) does would be to hear about an upcoming song by a group you like, read what several people wrote about the song, read the lyrics, look at the sheet music, THEN actually listening to the song for the first time. That has nothing to do with modern tech ruining experiences and more to do with being an impatient self-destructive lunatic.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2010, 07:15:42 AM »
"Lunatic"?  I'm not the one who obsessively avoids spoilers like the plague and then calls other people out for not doing the same.

"Self-destructive"?  Again, I'm sorry entertainment value is all about the shock factor for you, but that doesn't hold true for everyone.

You got me on "impatient."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2010, 09:56:58 AM »
Why are you bringing ME into this? I didn't willingly look anything up!

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »
It's not shock factor, it's entertainment value. You guys are like the people who buy the new Harry Potter book and immediately skip to the back to see if he's dead.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure if I read the book and he ended up dying, I would consider it a waste of my time (I didn't actually check).  But that's beside the point.  I've said it in this thread alone more than once  - entertainment value for me does not depend on whether I'm surprised by something in a work.

Print