Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto Hates Stories  (Read 33108 times)

« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2009, 09:29:12 PM »
I'm not seeing the connection. Boohbahs are scary, Lumas are cute, Piantas are stupid.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2009, 09:37:18 PM »
Galaxy's bosses weren't so awful. Bouldergeist was a big hit, no? King Kaliente? That huge skeleton fish??? I mean, none of them compare to Super Mario Sunshine's King Boo... but he was more frightening like, "so this is the future of Mario, eh..."

Also, I only find it normal for a Mario game to be inhabited by star-like creatures. Stars have always been huge in the series, ever since that one RPG everyone loves so freaking much...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2009, 09:55:42 PM »
I don't dislike the Lumas themelves as much as I do their juvenile demeanor. Sure, they're meant to be cute and innocent, but I personally found it almost embarrassing to converse with them, as doing so is like tuning in to an episode of Barney.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »
You've got to be joking, right? You've got to be joking.
That was a joke.

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2009, 10:51:53 PM »
You click on my profile, look my avatar dead in the eye, and tell me: Does that look like a "joking" face to you?

Fixed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:59:03 PM by Weegee »

« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2009, 11:55:04 PM »
Good thing we use the TRUE FORUM where there are no avatars.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2009, 01:04:36 AM »
I'm probably the biggest advocate for more story in Mario, character development within the game, and, dare I say, a slightly "darker" Mario... NOT emo Mario, but darker Mario... e.g. Mario in Subspace Emissary, Mario in Strikers Charged, but Weegee...

...you've gone off the deep end.

Even with how I feel about "childish" stuff in Mario games, I was not embarrassed by the Lumas at all. They're there.... aaaand they're there, what can you say? Piantas are basically dumber than Lumas.

On another note, I still don't understand why people, almost 2 years after the game's release, are still complaining about Rosalina's "bedtime" story....you know... the one that was (and still is) completely optional. I remember everyone saying "I will CmPLETLEY AVOID THIS ON THE GROUNDS THAT MARIO SHULD HAVE NO STORY OR THAT IT IS ST00PID" but then you will still hear complaints about how childish it was.

Formerly quite reasonable.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2009, 03:18:13 AM »
If you didn't cry at Rosalina's storybook, you have no soul.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
My bottom line is that they could've handled the storybook and Luma elements more credibly for Mario standards. Not that there's much to remedy it now, but yeah.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »
Credibility is just about the last thing on the list for games like Mario in the first place...
That was a joke.

« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
I'm not seeing the connection. Boohbahs are scary, Lumas are cute, Piantas are stupid.

Don Pianta would like to have a word with you. Down at the port.

Galaxy's bosses weren't so awful. Bouldergeist was a big hit, no? King Kaliente? That huge skeleton fish??? I mean, none of them compare to Super Mario Sunshine's King Boo... but he was more frightening like, "so this is the future of Mario, eh..."

What? You mean always trying something new as opposed to sticking to one formula? That's the reason I love this series. I never know what to expect out of the games he stars in. Sunshine did a spectacular job fleshing out his universe beyond simple kingdoms, or the same old enemies, and while he was indeed limited in his moveset, the reliance on FLUDD made the game a fun challenge, or at the very least not ball-busting hard like SMB2J.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
That's the reason I love this series. I never know what to expect out of the games he stars in.
With the exception of SMG2...?

Oh, and I loved the prevalence of (in most cases, fairly imposing) bosses in SMG.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2009, 03:34:03 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy 2 gets a free pass because the first one is probably the greatest Mario game I've ever played.

On a similar note, it amazes me how many people are BAWWWing that Nintendo actually went ahead and produced a sequel to Galaxy and will be releasing it on the very same console. Really now, after a decade of fans crying and whining for more platformers or sequels to the current gen entries, we finally get one and all people can say is "rehashed stages means it'll suck".

Some people are just unpleasable.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2009, 03:53:41 PM »
Especially because it doesn't even have rehashed stages, as best as I understand it. Last time I checked, Wikipedia was refusing to change it because they were just taking Kotaku's (probably mistranslated) generalization at face value, but I'm pretty sure that in a more detailed liveblog of the Miyamoto conference, what he said was was that the 5-10% of "reused" stages are stuff that they wanted to use in the first Galaxy but couldn't, and then the other 90-95% is totally new -- but 100% of the game is stuff we haven't seen before.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2009, 04:23:42 PM »
I thought it was kind of the other way around... (as in, most of the game is stuff they didn't get to use in the first one and the rest is just old "themes" with a new layout).

Hey, I don't think the game won't be fun--I just think I'll have to get used to it being one of the first Mario games I've ever played that is fairly predictable.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print