Print

Author Topic: Does it bother anyone else...  (Read 15027 times)

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 10:36:05 PM »
Though I think we have a new world record for "bump with the longest time since previous post", at least here on the Fungi Forums.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
Yeah, no kidding... I didn't look at the date of the first post, so I was a bit confused for a sec there: "Mega 2? Hmm, must be new... wait, AustinPowers, another new guy? And this is the kind that reposts his sig, no less. *Scrolls down, then back* Oh...

Anyway, this is a good topic, so I'll just say that though the tropical music and oasis-esque backgrounds in SMB were odd (as was not changing the color of his clothes correctly), but enhancing the graphics is what remakes are all about (among other things). Besides, the game has been remade in its original form several times since, so if you want that it's not too hard to get ahold of.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 12:10:36 AM »
I remember when Mega 2 posted somewhat regularly.
That was a joke.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 07:01:58 AM »
I almost posted about how I felt about SMAS before making the bump comment instead, but the graphical changes are nothing exciting, and the music is terrible.  I get the feeling they made every possible attempt to make it sound as different from an NES as possible, and it really kills the mood a lot of the time for me.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 08:42:03 AM »
The sound differences could have been better, and I was disappointed about SMB's graphical update, but SMB2 and SMB3 were updated quite nicely, IMO. I'm most upset, though, that they didn't keep the odd graphics in SMB2(J), e.g. the mushroom platforms, bushes with eyes.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 09:18:57 AM »
I like the SMAS versions of the music, for the most part. I don't like that they messed up the World 5 map music in SMB3 though.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 02:07:17 PM »
How did they mess it up?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »
They changed the steel drum to a wood block, mainly.
Also, I don't hate the SMB1 music changes.
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »
It's an improvement, but I also liked the original. I liked both so I don't really care what they do with the graphics, as long as they don't make it worse.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »
Hard to make graphics worse than the NES, am I right?

Please don't get all mad at me for not conforming to the retro love fad. Technically speaking, the NES sucked, and the only really fantastic game on it that I can think of that didn't get a remake later is StarTropics... There's a bit of charm to old 8-bit graphics but most fans go overboard with it. I like good-looking and good-sounding games. When I'm playing a great game with sucky graphics, one of the first things I think is "Dang this would be so much better on [console with better graphics]." Lots of handheld games make me think that. StarTropics REALLY makes me think that, passionately.

All this boils down to my reasoning behind liking Super Mario All-Stars' versions better than the original... except for SMB's freaking brick physics. Someone needs to hack it, fix that, and release a patch. Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 in All-Stars are great-looking, -sounding and they play like the originals, so no problems there. If only I liked SMB2 more...
Actually between the time I typed that and now, I FOUND A PATCH!! It's a normal IPS, LIPS will patch your ROM (SMAS or SMAS+SMW) in a jiffy. Works like a charm.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »
Someone already ... yeah.

Anyway, I love old chiptune music, and I also love bad graphics because it tricks your imagination into thinking that stuff is way cooler than it is. If you're just looking at the picture on the screen, you're doing it wrong.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 04:46:17 PM »
I personally prefer 16-bit graphics the best. I hope by the time I turn 20, people from my generation will start a 90s fad that takes the place of the 80s fad. Then the real cream of Nintendo's crop will get the appreciation it deserves.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 04:48:42 PM »
The problem is that most stuff in the '90s was in fact not cool at all.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 04:49:26 PM »
:'(

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 04:57:57 PM »
Chup is right. The '90s were not cool.

They were rrrrraaaaaaaaadicaaalllllll.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!