Print

Author Topic: Question Regarding Yoshi(s)  (Read 7604 times)

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2004, 08:12:42 PM »
I...also happen to be a newbie.

I am a trained master of each of the weapons of battle
I am a trained master of each of the weapons of battle

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2004, 08:40:09 PM »
I don't know? Am I still a newbie?

~*Sometimes I dream I''''m being carried away by a giant squirrel... so does that make me a nut?*~
Kip: Napoleon, don''t be jealous that I''ve been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I''m training to be a cage fighter.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2004, 09:52:55 PM »
Re: Species and proper names=

In recent years, it has become a confusing issue. *Is* there a specific Yoshi and Toad, or are they just one of many? The answer: both.

Think of it this way: It would be the same as having a human named Human.  He's a human being, yet his proper title is also Human.  Confusing? Sure.  But it helps explain the issue.

Toad is a specific Mushroom Person who is close friends with the Mario Bros. and Princess Peach.  "Toads" is a way of refering to the race of Mushroom People.  Thusly, Toad is a "Toad."

Likewise Yoshi is a "Yoshi", but also is one singular Green Yoshi close friends with the Mushroom Kingdom crew.  And for that matter, in very recent time, Birdo is a specific "birdo."

It's a little wacky, but it works.  And it gives the specific characters of Toad and Yoshi a little more deserved props.

And there you have it.

----------

I''m back, baby! Well, kinda...
----------

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2004, 11:31:14 PM »
That was a good summation of the concept.

What about people named "Guy", though?

Stupid Quotes: (10th Edition)
"Super Mario Sunshine is an overhyped, boring kids` game with a fruity name that got higher ratings than it deserved."
"Aaron S." - with a dishonorable mention to Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine (Issue #165, pg. 24) for printing the opinions of people who don`t deserve to have opinions.
~I.S.~

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2004, 01:21:44 AM »
Heh, my father's name is Guy.  He hates it, and goes by his middle name.  I don't blame him.
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2004, 01:40:41 AM »
I hadn't even thought about "Guy." That's a perfect example, and just a bit more common than Human.  heh heh

----------

----------

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2004, 03:47:07 PM »
That still doesn't really expalin why all the toads have to have the word "toad" in them. I mean there's Toadette, Toadsworth, Toadofsky... the list goes on.

Also, here's another topic. In Super Mario Advance, who here (besides me) hates the voice of Birdo when she says, "This is as far as you go!"?

Made you look.
Your sig is annoying. -Deezer

n/a

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2004, 04:47:09 PM »
1. Birdo is not a salad dressing.

2. Actually, if you painted a Yoshi pink and cut off its mouth...

3. Yes, Birdo's voice is extremely annoying, but that just makes it sweeter beating him. I think Toad's voice is even more annoying, especially when he dies.

Edited by - Deezer on 1/9/2004 5:12:44 PM

Edited by - n/a on 1/11/2004 2:49:45 PM

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2004, 06:46:51 PM »
Some toads do not have toad in their name, Like Tase T. or Russ T. from Paper Mario. The T may stand for toad, however.

Or is it?... *shifts eyes supiciously*
Let me away from this boulder!

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2004, 07:29:39 PM »
Birdo is a species? I've never seen more than one at once...

my pathetic attempts at humor are fleeting

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2004, 07:48:28 PM »
There's more than one in SMB2, actually--they come in three colors and spit out different things, so I don't think it's all the same Birdo.  (Or is the three colors thing only in SMAS?)

Edited because I misread a post.

Edited by - WanWan on 1/11/2004 5:49:44 PM
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2004, 01:18:41 AM »
No, there were Pink, Red, and Green Birdos in SMB2 for NES as well, and DDP, I think.

They wouldn’t pretty so bad, ain’t they?
That was a joke.

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2004, 09:43:38 AM »
Hey! Look at my defenitions of 'Yoshi':

1-A species of a mammalian reptile, with an anatomy similar to dinosaurs, that resides in tropical regions of the Mushroom World - the Lava Lands; they have long tongues, both genders lay eggs all the time, eat far more than their own body mass, are very intelligent and come in variaties of skin (scale) colours.
2-The name of a particular green-colured Yoshi who is close friends with the Mario Brothers and the Mushroom Kingdom's princess.
3-A male Japanese name.

As on the subject of Birdos, the pink Birdo is called Birdo. The Birdo is a rare species, and is only found in the Sub-Con. Very few where ever seen.

Am I good or what!?

I am a pure Super Mario lover!!
...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even drawn the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2004, 03:16:40 PM »
Very nice indeed.

----------

----------

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2004, 03:18:43 PM »
Good, except "mammalian reptile" is an impossible contradiction. Yoshis have nothing to do with mammals.

my pathetic attempts at humor are fleeting

Print