Print

Author Topic: Remake SNES?  (Read 5381 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2004, 11:33:36 PM »
"(example: you can play all snes/nes games on dreamcast with the dc console emu)"

That's emulation. That's a whole different ball of wax.
Some NES things have been emulated on GBA, and NES, SNES, and N64 things have been emulated on GCN. That's a completely different thing from what I was talking about.

Actually, it is not simply a matter of what cartridge you write it in. The game has to be written in that system's ASM, unless it's emulated, in which case the system you're playing it on is running a program that deciphers the emulated game for that system.

Also: The bit number is the pipeline from the CPU, not the CPU speed.

And: Some cartridges do have extra processors, like the SuperFX games for SNES.

The Andorian Mining Consortium runs from no one.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 1/25/2004 9:39:58 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 07:55:15 PM »
*Sigh*

Some people get on my nerves, and CW's right, of course.

MAAAAARIO WHERE AAAAARE YOU??

MAAAAARIO WHERE AAAAARE YOU??

n/a

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2004, 08:37:22 PM »
It's not the amount of bits that make the game, you guys, its what the actual game is itself. The fact that, say, Super Mario Advance (Super Mario Bros. 2) is more bits that the original Super Mario Bros. 2) does not make it a different game; just because Super Mario Bros for NES has less bits than the latest stupid "Crash Bandicoot" game does not make Crash better than Super Mario Bros.(which it isn't, of course.) So who cares about the bits, really, it's the game that matters.

Edited by - Deezer on 1/20/2004 5:12:44 PM

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2004, 10:38:17 PM »
Although that's true, that wasn't really the point of discussion...

That was a joke.

n/a

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2004, 06:26:02 PM »
It's the point of 5 posts in this disscusion.

I''m not dead, I''m electroencephalographically challenged.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2004, 07:42:23 PM »
The Game Boy Advance has a 32-bit ARM7 16.7 MHz CPU.  It also has the original Z80 CPU from the Game Boy Color.  It uses 16-bit graphics.

It also has Internal Working RAM with Access Widths of 8, 16, and 32 KB.  As well as EWRAM, VRAM, ROM, and Game Save RAM (in the cart) with Access Widths of 8 and 16 KB.  Don't confuse these RAM numbers with bit bus rates.

The SNES has a 16-bit Bus.

Reguardless of the above, the GBA cannot play SNES ROMs as is.  The SNES and GBA are different machines with different memory allocation and processors.  The GBA doesn't even have a seperate graphics processor.

Having said that the SNES games can be reprogrammed to play in a GBA, but this requires changing the architexture of the games interface.  This is how programmers change there PC games to run on consoles like the GBA.  Most games (in the US) are programmed in some version of C like C++ and then optimized to the consoles hardware interface and specs.  That is why the Xbox is fairly easy to program.  It uses essentially the same chips that PC programmers already know how to program.  The N64 had a custom chip that was harder to program (simply because it was different and therefor required programers to do more to make games for it).  That's why there weren't many N64 games.

Also, it may be possible to play SNES games on a GBA using an emulator that would act as an interface between the ROM and GBA.  This has been done with NES ROMs on a GBA and Dreamcast.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

n/a

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2004, 09:48:03 PM »
*cough* uh... yeah! exactly! Couldn'ta said it better myself! *cough*

I''m not dead, I''m electroencephalographically challenged.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2004, 12:07:36 AM »
(Interjection: GBA has 16-bit graphics, SNES has 8-bit graphics, NES has 4-bit graphics)

That was a joke.

Print