Print

Author Topic: Scientific Theories  (Read 5044 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2004, 11:23:52 PM »
"December 23th" - Look at that closely.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2004, 06:22:26 PM »
Oh....
Oooooooohhhhhhhh!!! I see now!
Hahahahahaha!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2004, 10:48:27 PM »
Thats why I like to write out dates, so I dont end up with something like december twentythirth.
I, personally, think that if light had a perspective, it would move away from everything so quickly  that it couldn't make out anything, all blurry and distorted, things would appear to be, light may not even know that it is moving, but rather think that it remains in one place and everything around it moves in one direction.

My theory: nothing moves, everything stays in one place realative to the universe, and when anything attempts movement, everyone and everything else in the universe moves in the opposite direction, causing the ellusion of movement.
Let me away from this boulder!

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2004, 01:03:54 AM »
Interesting theory, but a little self-conflictory.  Everything ends up moving a lot more as a result of nothing ever moving.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2004, 05:41:35 PM »
I believe in movement, however one thing I never really got was "Jumping" I simply don't see how the exertion of your muscles creating a force to the ground can propel you into the air...

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2004, 06:45:24 PM »
ignore

Edited by - TheEggMan on 3/4/2004 4:46:36 PM

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2004, 08:51:38 PM »
COMMENCING IGNORE

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2004, 10:13:16 PM »
 Meh, the Mayans were on the right track, but it's actually December 22st, 2012.

Close, but no cigar.

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2004, 01:54:18 AM »
Meowrik: Newton's Third Law

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2004, 07:34:02 PM »
I know I know, but I still just find it odd.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2004, 12:36:51 PM »
Here's an odd one:

Suppose you have two identical very precise clocks.  You put one high up on a wall and the other down on your desk.

The clock on the wall is a greater distance (radius) from the center of the Earth so it is moving through a larger circle  (circumference) around the Earth, and since the Earth rotates at a relatively constant rate of approximatly 24 hours, the wall clock is moving faster through space than the one on your desk.

Here's the odd part:

Since the wall clock is moving faster through space, time for it is actually passing slower.  This has be experimentally verified repeatedly.  This means that twin who gets around in a fast moving airplane would be younger than the other twin that walks everywhere.

The process becomes extreme when something moves close to the speed of light.  If you were to fly off in a rocket at close to the speed of light and then come back to the Earth you would find that all the people you had known would have died long ago even though you are still young.

The reason for this is that time is relative, while the speed of light is constant.  Another strange thing is that the faster you move, the harder it becomes to push you.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 05:53:47 PM »
Yes; as an object goes faster, its mass becomes larger.

Si las paredes podrían hablar, podría perforar los agujeros en ellas así que cerrarían el infierno para arriba.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2004, 09:27:01 PM »
Here's another stange one:

It was once thought that the universe might one day colapse into a "big crunch" if it had enough mass.  This has been shown to be incorrect.  In fact, we know the universe is expanding because the wavelegth of light from stars is getting longer.  This is known as "red shift" and is due to the doppler effect.

The strange and relatively new discovery is that the universe's expansions is actually speeding up.  It is thought that the traditional view of space as an empty vacuum is wrong in that there are particle popping into and outof existance in a sort of quantum foam.   Our universe may even have been formed when some of this quantum foam did not pop out of existance due to an imbalance in charge/type of matter.  This explains why the universe is vastly more matter than antimatter (as far as we know).

Yet another stange thing is that light has actually been quantumly teleported.  "Beam me up Scotty."  Next well be to isolate a single particle or atom.  But, don't hold your breath for Scotty to beam you up because the amount of quantum information in an human is more than all the computers in the world can handle.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print