Print

Author Topic: The Passion of Christ...  (Read 2887 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: February 24, 2004, 01:18:16 PM »
How many people are going to see that new Mel Gibson movie? I know I will. Being a Christian and a God-and-Jesus Christ-believer, I am very excited to see The Passion of Christ.

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 04:37:54 PM »
I was going to go this week, but I already have two plays to go to, too, so I think I'll wait until next week, maybe.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 06:42:35 PM »
I'm not going to see it. I'm Catholic, but I just don't want to read the subtitles.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 08:10:19 PM »
I already saw it on Monday.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 09:27:15 PM »
I'm definately gonna see it. Not for a week at least though, because it's common sense to not see a popular movie in its first week.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 10:20:28 PM »
Because I'm horrendously cheap, I'm going to do what I always do: wait until it comes out on DVD and then check it out of my local library.

This is not a signature.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 10:57:19 PM »
I want to see it to help myself understand his sacrafice more fully.  Also, I read something from the Bible at church before that was kinda what I meant on the "Saddam Hussain found" topic.  The verse was about how only loving those who love you was un-credible, and how you should also love those who are your enemies.  I mean, what he did was bad, but hating him won't help anything, because he's already going to be punished.  But back to the movie, I want to see it, but not at the movies, it's too freaky at the movies, I'd rather rent it.

If at first you don''t succeed, try until you run out of syrup.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 08:42:55 AM »
There are barely any subtitles. Its a great movie, be you catholic protestant, or anything, it is a wonderfully put togther movie. Two thumbs up!

Push button...
Receive Bacon!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 10:56:34 PM »
I almost vomited during the cross-nailing scene. What was with Satan's baby at the end?

Let me away from this boulder!
Let me away from this boulder!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 11:18:13 PM »
It wasn't at the end. Satan wa sholding the baby in the middle.

My theory is that Satan was trying to make Mary feel worse by like acting happy with a baby while she watched her son get tortured.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 11:27:00 PM »
Who cried during it? I would like to see it, but I'm not a in theaters person anymore...

"If I had my way everyone in my school would be dead." ~Makar
Formerly quite reasonable.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2004, 12:39:39 AM »
I cried both times I saw it; the feeling was incredible. The church I go to is a protestant church, and we tend not to focus on the crucifixion enough (this is not to say that I think we should focus on it as much as Catholics do), so I was glad to get the perspective of it offered by this movie.

Although The Passion is the goriest movie I have ever seen (with the awful, wish-I-hadn't-seen-it Reservoir Dogs taking second place), its gore did not bother me at all. The reason, I think, is that in this movie the gore was not senseless as it is in most films, but instead a part of the most important event in existence. As I watched myself hammer the nails into Jesus (yes, Gibson said this, but I believe it, too), my heart was overwhelmed with Jesus' suffering and with my sin, and not so much with all of the blood and wounds.

You likely don't feel the same way, but The Passion is by far the best movie I have ever seen. It's too bad that I didn't have a chance to see it a third time before the theater (I usually go to) here stopped showing it. Even though I didn't, though, it has made over $355 million and is ranked at number eight for all movies shown in the U.S. at IMDb. Would I be stepping out of line to say that God has been blessing this movie (as well as those watching it)? I think not.

"Greetings from Belgium, the only country in Europe where the leading source of natural gas is the local dairy farm."

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2004, 02:54:35 PM »
Yes, I felt the same way as Watoad.  What I got out of the movie is that you should not hate the Jews and the Romans for beating him, it was all planned out.   Most peoples' reaction was "He did this for me?"  All that gore was gut wrenching, but he endured the pain for every single one of us.

And the issue about Satan's baby.  We had a talk at our church afterward, and the speaker said that the baby was most likely the Anti-Christ.  Satan took something sweet, like a baby, and turned it into something hideous.  All-in-all, a great film that really makes you think.

Jman''''s various quote of the week #2: I would have to say that the Quizno''s spongemonkeys are quite possibly the worst mascots ever created.  Worse even than William Hung hosting the FoxBox.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print