Print

Author Topic: Multiple versions of PS3?  (Read 3984 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: April 20, 2004, 07:17:56 PM »
I juse read some news at a PlayStation fansite about Sony possibly releasing multiple versions of the PlayStation 3...

============================================
Sony is planning to diversify its PlayStation product family significantly in the coming years, with the company set to show a remodelled PS2 at E3 next month and multiple versions of the PS3 on the horizon.

Speaking in an interview on an official Sony website - which has now been pulled, and was apparently made public in error - SCEE president David Reeves strongly suggested that the PSP handheld and PSX home media centre would not be the only new PlayStation hardware devices on show at E3.

"Something we haven't talked about, is that we made a change from PlayStation to PSone," he explained, "so we may, in the course of time, make some cosmetic changes to PlayStation 2 and come out with something that's a little bit sexier, but probably no changes to specs or anything like that."

The PStwo console is likely to follow in the footsteps of the PSone by being significantly smaller, and the redesign would allow Sony to maintain a healthy price point for the PS2 platform going forward. Packing the PS2 components into a small case wouldn't be difficult at this point - after all, the company has effectively done just that to create the handheld PSP.

On the topic of the PlayStation 3, Reeves revealed that the company is considering launching multiple versions of the next-generation console, catering for a variety of different requirements and price points.

A version of the console described as the "home server" version would follow in the footsteps of the PSX media system, with "all-singing, all dancing features with maybe a hard disk drive" and a retail price take of "whatever it might be, $600 or $700."

However, for those just seeking a new games machine rather than a fully fledged home media server, the company could offer a stripped down system catering to the needs of those who "just [want] to pay 200 Euros for a new generation games machine," Reeves said.

Reeves also confirmed that the company is investigating the possibility of electronic distribution of content over broadband for its next generation system - describing the pursuit of this as the "ultimate goal" for the PlayStation 3, and stating that Sony hopes to see always-on network access and viable broadband distribution in place when the PS3 becomes available in 2006.

"It's going to have to be 2 or 3MB, something like that," he said, speaking about connection sizes - which are currently generally at 512k (0.5MB) in most UK broadband-enabled homes. "Ken [Kutaragi]'s even talking about 30MB! And when it gets to that, then it is broadband distribution, and people then can just download whatever game they want. But it's got to be secure, and that's where DNAS [Sony's online security protocol] comes in."

============================================
As you read above, Sony plans on releasing multiple versions of the PlayStation 3.

One version of the PS3 would be a high-tech machine with advanced technology like a computer, possibly costing about $700. ($700 seems like a reasonable price for a high-tech computer entertainment system...)

Another version of the PS3 would be a games-only machine, possibly costing about $200.

Do you think it is a good idea for Sony to create multiple versions of the PlayStation 3, each with different features and prices?

I think it is a great idea, since it would give consumers more of a choice.

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 4/20/2004 6:25:28 PM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 07:23:10 PM »
Do you think anyone here cares? This is a message board about MARIO. Not Playstation. Understand? I hope so.

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
....v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.<•>_<•>

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 07:28:59 PM »
FYI, I posted this in the "General Chat" forum, it allows us to talk about non-Nintendo things.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 07:51:01 PM »
FYI, no one here cares about the Playstation.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 06:52:43 AM »
Sony is probably the most idiotic company in the world!

I am a pure Super Mario lover!!
...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even drawn the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 09:48:57 AM »
Wow, that's retarded. First, what if I want all of those features, I'd have to buy the different versions of the consoles? Second, I would NOT pay $700 for the console/computer thing unless it was Nintendo. I hope this puts Sony out of business (the console business, at least). With the XBox and Playstation 2, I forget more and more of the time when Nintendo was the dominating and most beloved video game company...

Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!
Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 05:41:13 PM »
I wouldn't buy a Nintendo system for $700.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 03:40:22 PM »
What the article stated is that Sony will create two versions of the PS3: one for MULTIMEDIA functions (including games), and one for GAMES only.

Here is an example:

SYSTEM 1
PlayStation 3 (with multimedia functions)
COST
$700 (or more)

SYSTEM 2
PlayStation 3 (games only version)
COST
Around the price of PS2 ($200)

Get my point? Having different versions of the PlayStation 3 gives people more of a choice, whether they want a multimedia system or simply a games only system. This is similar to the PSX multimedia system, it has multimedia functions, yet it can also play PS2 games.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 03:44:46 PM »
Anyways, i don't care what you guys think about PlayStation. If you are afraid of spending too much money on a PlayStation 3, you can always go for a PS one or PlayStation 2...

I heard that Sony is making a smaller version of the PlayStation 2, appropriately called "PS two". This is good for people who want to save shelf space (like me). I wonder how Sony will fit the Network Adapter or Hard Disk on it...

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 03:55:35 PM »
"Having different versions of the PlayStation 3 gives people more of a choice, whether they want a multimedia system or simply a games only system."

A choice? It's too much trouble and money for a whole truckload of crap. Yeah, they have a more of a choice of which crappy system they want, but it depends on the size of their pocketbook.

$700?! I could buy a frickin' junker car for $200 if I wanted. I could buy probably everything I would want with that kind of money (maybe not a plasma... yet).  $700 is a ridiculous price for ANY type of game system unless it distributes money to you when you beat a game, (which it won't, EVER...) and to say in a blunt and plain way: "It's too d*** much." <-- I must quote exactly what I have heard, so please, no editing.

You don't have to have all these idiotic "features" on a *game* system. A game system is a GAME system, not a frickin' computer system or DVD player.

Mario Maniac, by the way, if you don't care what we think or get mad at us for dissing it, I would think that it would be a good idea NOT TO POST IT ON A POPULAR MARIO MESSAGE BOARD. But hey, that's just me.

"If I had my way everyone in my school would be dead." ~Makar
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 09:45:36 AM »
I can't believe that the multimedia version costs $500 more bucks when I have those features with a DVD player. O_O

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 07:41:49 AM »
QUOTE: "You don't have to have all these idiotic "features" on a *game* system. A game system is a GAME system, not a frickin' computer system or DVD player."

The $700 price will be for the MULTIMEDIA  PlayStation 3 system (I doubt it will cost $700...probably $500). The GAMES-ONLY PlayStation 3 will cost much less.

People who want a multimedia PlayStation 3 will buy it. People who want a games-only PlayStation 3 will buy it. It's that simple.

I'm just going to buy the *much cheaper* PlayStation 2...or maybe the portable PS one with the attaching screen. I won't buy the PlayStation 3 until it's price is reduced.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2004, 07:52:05 AM »
By the way Trainman, Sony is a multimedia company, and their specialty is making multimedia systems.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 05:45:15 PM »
"A choice? It's too much trouble and money for a whole truckload of crap. Yeah, they have a more of a choice of which crappy system they want, but it depends on the size of their pocketbook."

In which case, they would be targetting those with a "larger pocketbook" for the more expensive system. From a business standpoint, I believe having more variety is good practice. Take Nintendo's system color variety for example. Though, Sony's venture is to a much larger scale than simple color, the underlaying premise remains the same.

So, I can't see more options being a set-back, in any situation.

"$700?! I could buy a frickin' junker car for $200 if I wanted. I could buy probably everything I would want with that kind of money (maybe not a plasma... yet). $700 is a ridiculous price for ANY type of game system unless it distributes money to you when you beat a game, (which it won't, EVER...) and to say in a blunt and plain way: "It's too d*** much." <-- I must quote exactly what I have heard, so please, no editing."

You could also buy a GameCube with $200. What's your point?

What this "Multimedia" system is, exactly, has yet to be released. If what I've understood is correct, it seems to be much more like a computer, than a game system.

If that is the case, than having "all these idiotic 'features'" would not be such a bad thing. In fact, one would probably not consider a purchase without these "idiotic features."

"Mario Maniac, by the way, if you don't care what we think or get mad at us for dissing it, I would think that it would be a good idea NOT TO POST IT ON A POPULAR MARIO MESSAGE BOARD. But hey, that's just me."

It's not that he's mad at your expressing your opinions, no, it's that you're not staying on topic. He asked what people thought about these new choices, and not once had he asked what you thought about Sony, the PSX, or PS2 (or even 3, per say).

All he's seemed to receive are useless, moronic responses:

"FYI, no one here cares about the Playstation."

"Sony is probably the most idiotic company in the world!"

"Yeah, they have a more of a choice of which crappy system they want, but it depends on the size of their pocketbook."

The fact that this is a Mario Forum is irrelevant, as he posted in GENERAL chat. Though, I do suppose he made one mistake in posting this thread: his assumption that you guys were mature enough to handle the topic.

As for the topic at hand, I would have to hear more information concerning this new multimedia system in order to formulate a decent opinion.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004, 06:46:42 PM »
Well, when you think about it, do we need another DVD/CD/whatever system that doesn't play games? Most of us have a DVD player, and I'm pretty sure that all of us have a CD player(anyone in the first group will also fit in the second group). And about my comments earlier, I'm sorry. I just over-reacted to a topic about something I dislike. Sorry about that, Mario Maniac. And if they were to put out a console that just plays media and not games, they wouldn't be able to call it a PlayStation, would they? It wouldn't make as much sense. Also, no one would buy it if it had a $500 price tag, unless it was built into a TV or something like that.

Print