Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Why?: B to A; A to B  (Read 8909 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 10:36:02 PM »
Holding Y and using B to jump with The SNES controller seemed like the most natural thing in the world to me; the angle of Y to B and X to A is the same angle that my thumb is as it grabs the controller, after all. The GBA seemed weird at first because you sort of have to move your thumb up to hit A if you're holding B, but eventually my wrist adapted. In conclusion, I prefer the GC controller prototype even though the button letters were Photoshopped.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 10:38:25 PM »
Really, the A and B have always been in the same relative position, that is to say B has always been the one you press with the further/inner part of your thumb, regardless of angle, unless you're doing B/Y, but B is still in the same place relative to A.

For NES, GBA, and GCN, I roll my thumb to the left slightly. This is also true for SNES if I'm actually using A and B rather than B and Y. For N64 (and SNES if using B and Y), I simply bend my thumb a bit. It's really pretty much the same motion.

The fast pace riding on a horse bets a slow boat anyday.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/19/2004 9:42:44 PM
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 10:49:46 PM »
They may all be very similiar motions, but when you get familiar with something over 20 years, it's hard to change.

For those who don't know the HORI controller:

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 10:53:44 PM »
Is this the prototype you guys are talking about?

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 12:05:09 AM »
I thought they were talking about your earlier pic, where the B button is a jellybean.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 12:36:45 AM »
LD is correct. Move the Z button like MB said, and maybe flatten out the half-spherical Start button, and you get the perfect GC controller (for most games).

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 09:40:36 AM »
Hey!
You people have been talking about the button positions and some other stuff, and quite missing my point!

I just simply said that Nintendo, starting from the Nintendo 64, had broken the tradition of 'B' - Jump & 'A' - Action by switching roles to 'B' - Action & 'A' - Jump in the Super Mario games!
Don't say 'configuration'!! I'm talking about the buttons by default!
Besides, how many Super Mario games out there could their button roles be configured?
Unless it must be a ROM...

Anyway, what I meant is discuss the part why Nintendo did the switching of the button roles in Super Mario games!

Look! Changing the positions of the buttons is not an explaination because you can put the buttons on the controller which ever way you want, but you could still label the button, that was programmed to make Mario jump, as 'B'!

I am a pure Super Mario lover!!
...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even drawn the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 11:14:11 AM »
Maybe because your original premise IS COMPLETELY WRONG like I said in my first post.   A has always been jump!

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 05:20:33 PM »
Well, at least it's better than using a Keyboard for SNES roms.

I can't any confortable position for the keys. I've tried assgning them to the regular keys, I've tried putting them in the original Diamond position, and it still doesn't feel right.

...Oh, I don't use roms much anymore now, so...
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 07:30:19 PM »
I love how no research is done before anyone posts anything here.

Push Button...
Receive Bacon! ®
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2004, 09:12:16 PM »
Heh, I didn't see the second page for this. I thought it ended at Deezer's post talking about the SNES controller's feel.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2004, 04:07:01 PM »
I propose that the world is flat. Those who disagreee, I shall push off the edge.

"I''m a stupid fatty who swings his arms from side to side and pushes a button to receive bacon. As time slows and reality bends, the universe is permeated with the odor of Shawne Vinson. Does that make me a nut?"- DotheLizardkoopaTEMChupVinsonluigi
This is a secret coded message.

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2004, 11:08:04 AM »
Very funny Red Paratroopa.
Hope(N forever), Megabyte is right, A has always been jump unless you either had a different controller or a different button configuration

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2004, 05:51:14 PM »
Like I said, there is hardly any Super Mario game with any button configuration...

Of course, it might be the case I have the PAL version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System...

I am a pure Super Mario lover!!
...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even drawn the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2004, 06:00:16 PM »
Umm hello?
"A" HAS ALWAYS BEEN JUMP.
with the slight exception of SMW where B was jump and A was spin-jump and SMW2, but that was more of a SNES controller lettering issue rather than positional.  In all countries.  Every day of the week.  Since 1983.

Edited by - MEGAߥTE on 10/24/2004 5:00:56 PM

Print