No
7 (21.2%)
What's snaking?
9 (27.3%)
It's Cheating!
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Print

Author Topic: Snaking  (Read 11681 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 12:00:50 AM »
Aah. I've... never successfully done a Wifi match, so... that's why. but it WOULD be cheating, while snaking is good use of game elements.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »
Really?  I thought you got a win if one of your opponents disconnected, but I could be wrong.  Are you reporting from personal experience, or do you have a source somewhere?  The win/loss system is very poorly designed if you don't get a win when your opponent disconnects...

Yeah, it's from experience. Try it: Before a wifi race, look at your win-loss record and write it down somewhere. Then, play online, and after each race, go check your win-loss again and write it down again. Keep doing so until you run into a race where someone disconnects (shouldn't take long), then keep track of how many people are left, if you beat them or not, etc. It should only give you a win for each of the remaining racers, assuming you beat them. Yes, I agree, the win-loss system in that game is poorly designed, and I like the Tetris DS system more: If you disconnect in that game, you automatically lose, causing your online score to drop as if you had actually lost, and if you are playing against three other people, you get last place even if you were fighting against the last person, and the people you were playing against are treated as if they had beat you. Sorry if that was confusing.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »
I just tried this out myself and it looks like you're wrong.  My record before a match was 41:28.  I raced three opponents.  One disconnected after the first race.  I won the match.  My record after the match was 44:28.  So, it looks like I got a win for the opponent who disconnected.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 10:07:54 AM »
I don't snake. I know how to, but try not to. It's because I beat people without doing it normally, but that isn't important. I play it for fun, and don't sweat over not winning. I just play because I want to have a nice little round of Mairo Kart, and I don't take it too seriously. Also, why do people bother switching their games off if they loose, sometimes, mid game. It is just such a wicked thing to do. :D
This is the end of my post. I hope you enjoyed it. Coool coool!

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 10:33:20 AM »
The question of whether snaking is cheating was put to Nintendo Power a few months ago.  Their answer says it all.

Quote from: Nintendo Power issue #202
For those of you who don't know, "snaking" is drifting back and forth down a straightaway to get a constant speed boost.  Since you can do it without altering the game in any way, we wouldn't consider it cheating.  That said, most of us think the technique is kind of lame and goes against what the developers originally intended.
-------------

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 05:33:12 PM »
Also, why do people bother switching their games off if they loose, sometimes, mid game. It is just such a wicked thing to do. :D

I do that only if there are snakers, and that's due to the fact that I would like SOME chance of winning.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 06:52:21 PM »
Cheep-cheep! For the honor of battle, I must not disconnect!

In all honesty, I have never disconnected via the power button. Just like in chess, I figure that losing makes you better.

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 06:57:54 PM »
I have disconnected via power button maybe twice. First time was when I had my very first race online, and I thought there was only one race, not four, and I was done playing so I turned it off. Oops.

Second time was actually in Tetris DS, when my friends came over unexpectedly and I couldn't be like "OK yeah hang on wait till I finish this", although now that I think about it I probably should have just lost on purpose and then ended the game. Not that it would have made any difference... My disconnection still benefitted the opponents.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 07:27:01 PM »
I kinda agree with Suffix.  Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stranger.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »
...An analogy that might not work in Metroid Prime Hunters... (I have an honorable reputation in that as well)

While I'm at it, I might as well mention that while I say "via the power button," I have not purposefully disconnected. Saying "via the power button" leaves space for, say, disconnecting the internet.

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 11:01:31 PM »
I kinda agree with Suffix.  Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stranger.

Er.... I hope you mean stronger, because otherwise that's a weird motto.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2006, 03:52:51 AM »
The question of whether snaking is cheating was put to Nintendo Power a few months ago.  Their answer says it all.
"What the developers origianlly intended," huh? They intend on having us depend on items. That's no fun, depending on auto-targeting weapons to win.

Markio, you couldn't BE any stranger.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2006, 10:11:52 AM »
No one catches the reference...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »
Hey, that's not me talking, it's NP.  Plus, "what the developers intended" is usually how the game should be played.  I can't really talk, because I don't even own MKDS, let alone play it enough to learn how to snake.
-------------

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 07:30:33 PM »
Well, I won't disconnect from MPH or Tetris DS, mainly because there aren't strategies like snaking in those games. :P
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Print