Print

Author Topic: Book Talk (Yeah I'm a Dork, What's it to ya)?  (Read 7297 times)

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 07:14:53 PM »
I'm a big reader I liked reading since I was young. I usually read science books, these days it's been theoreticla physics. I also love books on the paranormal and unknown as well as some fantasy and science fiction.  I also read manga books.

My favorite series of books is the Redwall series. It's for childern I know, but I can't get enough of it. It's almost alwyas the same with a major vermin villain and with one or a gropu of heros who stand up to the vermin. However, there's something so charming about a world of animals. I've read every single book so far.

Another book I love is Hyper Space by Michio Kaku. This great book on physics was simple enough for me to undestadn the basics in middle school AS I got older I understood more. It's so fascination saying that higher diemnsiosn, parallel unvierses, and time travel could be possible. It also intoduced me to string theory.

Being a girl, I love shojo manga. My favorite sereis are Mars, Girl Got Game, and ALice 19th.

Random Anime Quote:
"I have split ends?"--Zelgadis. Slayer Next episode 6.
Random Anime Quote: "Wiggle, Squiggle! Look, I'm a mollusk!"
--Freesia Yagyu, Jubei-Chan 2 episode 3.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 08:58:50 PM »
I think Chupperson Weird would agree with me when I say that Brain Jacques wrote some great fantasy books. The enormous Redwall series.

"I’m out of Altoids! No more solid sorbitol and natural flavors for me."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 09:56:15 PM »
I read Redwall, but I didn't like the badger character.  Constance.  More like "Constant"!  Get it?  Heheheh? ehhh... me neither.

If your day is bad, a nice comment at night can change everything.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 01:02:04 AM »
Well, it seems like quite a while since this little wonder was engendered.   I was quite the topic-starter back in those good old...or...just old old days....  But it's great to see that I've improved!  *thumbs up**
Anyway, this is a simple thread.  It is just as the title suggests.
So naturally, all posts submitted to this topic should suitably fit within its (being the topic's) orientation, meaning that your post ought to mention either a book you've read, a book you'd like to read, or a book you have a problem with (come on, you know you do).  And keep in mind that the three forementioned suggestions are no more than such; see them as elements by which to guide your post and heed them not as restrictions.   Honestly, though, I am interested in what genres of literature you people have affinities for.  This thread can act as something of a haven for those who either wish to suggest a book, bash a book, analyze a book, etc. 
So, to provide an impetus, I will state that these are the novels I have read, so far, this summer:
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
The Horse and his Boy also by C.S. Lewis
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
and yeah...-_-; I haven't read too much this summer...
But I would recommend Song of Solomon to anyone who wants to read a book of pure poetry, for Toni Morrison truly is a miraculous writer.  Every sentence in that novel seems to be tugging at a string of thread that busily unravels more and more, and the way she could pull ideas and provocations out of her very heart and manifest them into words was remarkable.  Truly an inspirational piece of artwork, if not slightly depressing as well as disturbing (a touch of incest, and anything can take on an eerie feeling). 
So now I invite you to share some of your own literate ventures (if that's an appropriate term for them) and tell us your thoughts concerning books.
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 03:00:19 AM »
I've always liked Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.  It's a pretty good book if you're into sci-fi and politics and things like that.

I really should read more books; I haven't been able to read at all (aside from Harry Potter :D ) lately.. it's pretty bad.  Maybe I'll take a trip to my library one day.
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 07:19:41 AM »
I've only read what was required of me this summer; Gulliver's Travels should have been named Dulliver's Travels, because that's just what it it. Dull.

I don't suppose reading the Gospel counts. This book/series has an aquired taste for obvious reasons, but I have been reading a lot of it in the month of August. 

So I guess I don't recommend either of these titles unless you like a dull read, or are religious.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:21:54 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 08:45:20 AM »
My favorite books of all time are After, Feed, and the Harry Potter series (look up the first two, please).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »
Books? Like, with words? Oh, geez...well, I'd say:

Jurassic Park
The Lost World (the JP book, not the original)
The Series of Unfortunate Events series
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (required reading for everyone)
Zombie Survival Guide
Most early Tom Clancy books (a.k.a. the good ones)

That's all I can think of now. Naturally, I'll add to this later.
every

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 05:43:27 PM »
Thank goodness for this thread. Whenever I finish a book, I never have another good one in mind to read.

This summer I've been plodding through Stephen King's The Dark Tower "series". I've finished books 1-4 from the middle of June until now. I'm halfway through Book 5.
I have to say, I really like these books. This is my first Stephen King adventure, and I really like his style of writing.

I would list favorite books but either people have already said them, or I can't think of them at the moment.

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 06:10:32 PM »
Speaking of King, I've always wanted to read The Shining, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 06:14:37 PM »
EDIT: Whoops, ignore this post.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 07:15:46 PM »
Speaking of King, I've always wanted to read The Shining, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

REDRUM...!
But seriously, how many books has that guy written?  His mind is like some kind of fat hen that sits and lays eggs all day inside his skull, and when you crack open one of its eggs, a yolk of eerie and provocative yellowy gook comes spewing out, and...and this is the lamest analogy I've ever come up with.  l:  -(
But seriously, has anyone here read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote?  I'm a little tentative about picking that one up....
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 08:59:46 PM »
But seriously, how many books has that guy written?
On the inside cover of Wolves of the Calla, Book 5 of the Dark Tower, there are 38 novels (six of them as Richard Bachman), 7 collections, 11 screenplays and two non-fictions. That doesn't even scratch the surface, because his About the Author declares he has written over 40 novels and 200 short stories.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 10:36:52 PM »
hmm, This summer I Fahrenheit 451, which wasn't bad, but the notes I had to take made it pretty boring. I would recommend it if you're into that sort of book. I'm halfway through my second Summer reading book The Catcher in the Rye, which is my favorite book so I can stand the notes. My third book, that I haven't read yet, is I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I dunno, it looks pretty good. Also, I managed to read Deathly Hallows in like two days, and it was my favorite book of the whole series. I really wish that the Harry Potter Series wasn't over.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 12:14:55 AM »
Revised list from the post I made 2 years ago

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (Comedic Science Fiction) series by Douglas Adams

"Ender's Game" (Science Fiction) by Orson Scott Card

"Jurassic Park" (Genetic-thriller)
"State of Fear" (Enviro-Politcal Action?) both by Michael Critchton

"Lord of the Rings" (Fantasy) by J.R.R. Tolkien

"Red Dragon" (Detective Novel ?) by Thomas Harris

"Strange Attractors" (Science Fiction) by William Sleator

"It" (Horror)
"The Stand" (Horror-ish If I delve into all the themes it has I'll spoilerize)
"The Eyes of the Dragon" (Fantasy)
"The Dark Tower" (Epic Fantasy) * all by Stephen King

I, Robot (Science Fiction)
Caves of Steel (Science Fiction Whodunit) **
Naked Sun (Science Fiction Whodunit) **
The Robots of Dawn (Science Fiction Whodunit) ** all by Isaac Asimov

* This is one large book split into 7 (I'm waiting to buy it when they combine them all into one big book); they are to be read as listed in this order:

The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger
The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three
The Dark Tower III: The Wastelands
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower

** These 3 books are the Elijah Baley novels and shall be read in the listed order or I will kill you.

I loved the ending to Deathly Hallows. holycrapthatbookwasabloodbath and I desperately wanted to squeeze more information out of the epilogue, amirite?

Attached is the face I made after I looked up having just read the book.

Print