Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 477942 times)

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #345 on: February 20, 2006, 07:14:39 AM »
Stupid Mastro Toad!
I liked more the normal and nice Toad!!!!!!!!!
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

« Reply #346 on: February 20, 2006, 11:03:35 PM »
Having Yoshi being named Yoshi would be like one of us being named human.
Senior Mariology professor

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #347 on: February 20, 2006, 11:07:27 PM »
Or like with toads, all the girls would be called "Humanette."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:11:49 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #348 on: February 21, 2006, 12:16:35 AM »
Or like with toads, all the girls would be called "Humanette."

But not all female mushroom people are toadettes, just the one. Just like not all male mushroom people are toads.

I know it's short for "toadstool", but they can come up with something else to call the mushroom people. Just leave the named two alone.. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2006, 09:15:16 AM »
What exactly is the food that the residents of the Mushroom Kingdom eat? In the RPGs it's been shown that mushrooms are the standard dish, even though the residents ARE mushrooms. An explanation could be that the mushrooms they eat is the form of mushroom that hasn't evolved to a state of humanoid quality (a la Toad). It's just a normal fungi, whilst the Mushroom Kingdom residents are an unique species of humanoid fungi that can think, sense, move, and speak.

I wanted to post this here after the discussion in this topic.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 09:20:29 AM by nintendoexpert89 »

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #350 on: February 21, 2006, 02:23:29 PM »
I've never thought of Toads as being actual mushrooms; they're mushroom people. It does seem that they do have some mushroom-like qualities other than physical appearance. I can specifically think of M&LPiT (don't want to spoil, though), although I can't think of anything else specific off the top of my head (hehe).

Their diet seems to consist mostly of mushrooms, but sweets seem to be really up there, too (syrups, cakes, cookies, etc.). I also vaguely remember them eating meat of some sort (GASP! They're omnivores!!); unfortunately, I can't remember what, exactly. I think it was either in PM2 or M&L2.
Yoshis mostly eat fruit, although I remember Toads eating fruit as well. Plants, vegatables, and nuts, too.

I also tend to think of it this way: in M&LSS, the dominant species were Beanbeans---humanoid beans--and their diet seems to consist mostly of beans. The "evolved" humanoid-hybrid species seem to eat their "devolved" counterparts. I would not call it cannibalism; the people are complex humanoids, while what they eat is simplistic.

NE said it very well.

As for the Toad/Yoshi thing, think of it this way: there are guys named "Guy".

Edit: Oh yeah, I was also going to comment on the Peach/Bowser thing. Peach has magical powers, yes, but so does Bowser. While she can fight up to a point, Bowser--not to mention Magikoopas and others that have magical abilities--can overwhelm her with their physical strength, as well.

Also, she's usually taken by surprise; when that happens, I imagine it's hard to quickly defend herself. Not to mention, if she can take one out, there's usually a whole gang of enemies, too. She's outnumbered.

In SSBM, I noticed that while she's extremely good at fighting, of all the fighters, Bowser seems to be able to toss her around the best; she's very agile and had great come-back abilities when thrown off-stage, but she's very light and Bowser is really powerful. Her agility makes up for the physical strength, but when taken off-guard....well, you get the idea by now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:36:13 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #351 on: February 21, 2006, 04:16:02 PM »
Their diet seems to consist mostly of mushrooms,...

Ah!!!! Toads are CANNIBALS!!!!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #352 on: February 21, 2006, 04:41:11 PM »
-_-
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #353 on: February 21, 2006, 05:53:02 PM »
I've never thought of Toads as being actual mushrooms; they're mushroom people. It does seem that they do have some mushroom-like qualities other than physical appearance. I can specifically think of M&LPiT (don't want to spoil, though), although I can't think of anything else specific off the top of my head (hehe).

You mean producing spores, right? *game spoilers ahead! Read at your own risk*

In Super Mario RPG, I think the Chancellor of Mushroom Kingdom said something about the sword's earthquake causing him to almost drop his spores.

In Mario Tennis 64, Toad's trophy sequence involved him tossing his trophy around happily, then accidently bonking himself on the head, making him produce spores (which seemed to immediatley grow into small mushrooms).

In Smash Bros Melee, when Peach used her B move (Retainer), and a when move is reflected, Toad produces spores once again.

I'm sure there are more, but that's all that I can think of.. :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 06:49:40 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #354 on: February 21, 2006, 06:10:47 PM »
Mushroom people are really just mushrooms with appendiges, a nervous and digestive system. Mushrooms have strong stringy interiors that act as muscles so I geuss it's the same for mushrooom people.

When has Peach displayed magic?

Other than the spin off games.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #355 on: February 21, 2006, 06:39:20 PM »
1) Floating/hovering abilities (SMB2 and SPP, I think--not to mention SSBM)
2) Healing abilities: Therapy, Group Hug, Comeback (SMRPG)
3) Other magical abilities: Sleepy Time, Mute, and Psyche Bomb (SMRPG)
4) She also seems to have a certain power with the Stars, like with her wishes and such. (Various games)
5) In the SMB manual, it says, "she is the only one who can break the spell of the evil Koopa king" and is the "only one who can undo the magic spell on the Mushroom People and return them to their normal selves"

This stuff proves she has some sort of magical abilities.

« Reply #356 on: February 21, 2006, 07:30:01 PM »
I believe that the humanoid qualities in the mushroom people grant them traits similar to those of human gender traits (physical and social), but have no obvious connection in reproduction. The typical "female" mushroom people I've seen wear dresses, skirts, have higher voices, have braided "hair" and have stereotypical women occupations; like waitressing, innkeeping, and cooking. The typical "male" mushroom people wear "regular" man clothes like pants and caps, have deeper voices, and their jobs and more associated with the stereotypical human male work force, like commercial (shopkeeping, bartending, postal work) and industrial work (construction).

Despite the physical and social gender differences within the mushroom peoples, they reproduce assexually. Toad and SMRPG's Chancellor appear socially and physically "male" but though they both produce spores. Females are also able to produce spores. The key feature is that the spores from both male mushrooms and female mushrooms have unique chromosomes that allow the resulting child to be a different gender from the parent. Unlike humans, whose genders either have XY or XX chromosomes, mushroom people have two X chromosomes and two Y chromosomes. All four chromosomes are passed to the child during reproduction, but the early of development, a random chromosome becomes dominant. If the Y chromosome is dominant, the mushroom person is "male", and if the X chromosome is dominant, the mushroom person is "female".
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 07:39:52 PM by nintendoexpert89 »

« Reply #357 on: February 21, 2006, 07:57:42 PM »
Oops, I forgot that this was a 'serious posts' topic. Sorry. :-\

Anyway, Luigi seems to have a strange character in SSBM. His voice is different, he has different abilities than all the other games. He also has a weird stance. And isn't he supposed to be clumsier and afraid? I mean, it might be different in this game, because of the setting. Was Super Smash Brothers Melee actually made by a Nintendo company? It seems a little awkward.

Also, it seems as if Koopas aren't really Bowser's 'troopers' any more. As it said it in the past classic games(Super Mario World for one). Now they're just called Koopas. Well, I have a theory. Notice how they are called Koopa Troopas in the classic games. But in PM:TTYD They also called them Koopa Troopas. But, when they were known as Koopa Troopas, they were always 'the bad guy'.

Actually, it would seem they haven't made a Mario game with the whole 'Bowser kidnaps Peach', etc. Well, I guess Paper Mario TTYD would be one, but a game with classic gameplay. Has Bowser just gotten lazy? Mabey he's too busy practicing up for the next Mario sports game. <_</

Of course you all have noticed that Koopas are evolving, right? In SMB the stood on all fours. Now they are considered homo erectus. Mushroom Kingdom sure has a fast evolution rate. Goombas are the same, though, except in Super Mario World and Super Mario 64. They looked more like bubbles than rotten mushrooms.

That's a great idea, try to find all of the Mushroom Kingdom's enemies that have "evolved" since the classical games. ^_^

nintendoexpert89: That's not true. male's chromosomes are XY while female's is XX. Y is the male, while the female is X. It is very strange to think about if Mario characters reproduce. There's not really a scientific explaination for Mario characters. Nintendo isn't just going to explain all that, but it would be funny. Toads are more of an evolved super mushroom, I think. A goomba is just a rotten toad. I don't know, just my theory. Besides, in toads reproduction can be totally different. If a toad can even have more chromosomes. If they have a recessive gene, the outcomes could be totally different than a human. Even their cell developments can be different. In most organisms, cell will continue to divide until it has reached a certain pressure point where it can no longer divide. In toads, they could have less chromosomes, because they don't grow much. Their chromosomes could only be three, for example, meaning that they can only divide into three cells, making them three-fourths larger than a child toad. In a human, chromosomes can only split into two parts.

Wow, this is a weeeeiiirrd moment. We're talking about how toads reproduce. Look how low we've sunk. XD XD XD
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 08:15:58 PM by Khold »

« Reply #358 on: February 21, 2006, 08:03:41 PM »
I don't see how Luigi's differnt.

Remember not all of any species is under Bowser or anyones rule.

And Koopas can walk on all fours for extra speed I suppose.

« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2006, 08:07:22 PM »
Luigi in SSBM looks like a green version of Mario because he wasn't tall enough and the voice was really just Mario's voice, but higher-pitched.
I'm a horrible person.

Print