Print

Author Topic: Whos Your Main?  (Read 40200 times)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
I switch off with Luigi and Ness. Every now and then I like to use Toon Link.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2008, 10:14:23 AM »
My friend owns me with Toon Link.  It's annoying, because I'm terrible with any Link incarnation.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2008, 11:39:14 AM »
Link just isn't maneuverable enough for me.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2008, 01:33:58 PM »
Exactly!  He sloppily executes normally simple moves/movements.  I guess if someone practiced with him a lot, he could be decent, though.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »
Sir: Are you still in the mentality that some characters are better than others? You guess if someone practiced with him, they could get good at him? Well, duh... you think any character can just be picked up and played? Nope. All characters need time and practice. Even those with an easy learning curve.

Everyone is different. You may suck as Link. For someone else, he may just be perfect. I suck as Ganondorf, for instance. But he is a great character. I know, because a friend of mine really lets Ganondorf live up to the title, "The King of Evil."

But, believing every character really takes time and practice to be good for a player, I don't think the method of trying every character and using the one that yields the best results is the best way. Whatever you want to do to get started, using Kirby because you got three KOs with him the first time you tried him, using Yoshi because he's one of your favorite video game characters, or using Ike because Chupperson told you he was the best... I don't care. Except for that last one.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2008, 03:02:04 PM »
Whoa. I looked back on a thread about predicting the name of the SSB game after Meele, and somebody got it right. This was in 2005, mind you.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2008, 05:24:34 PM »
Sir: (1)Are you still in the mentality that some characters are better than others? You guess if someone practiced with him, they could get good at him? (2)Well, duh... you think any character can just be picked up and played? Nope. All characters need time and practice. Even those with an easy learning curve.

Everyone is different. You may suck as Link. For someone else, he may just be perfect. I suck as Ganondorf, for instance. But he is a great character. I know, because a friend of mine really lets Ganondorf live up to the title, "The King of Evil."

But, believing every character really takes time and practice to be good for a player, I don't think the method of trying every character and using the one that yields the best results is the best way. Whatever you want to do to get started, using Kirby because you got three KOs with him the first time you tried him, using Yoshi because he's one of your favorite video game characters, or using Ike because Chupperson told you he was the best... I don't care. (3)Except for that last one.

1. Yes.

2. Yes, I would definitely say that some characters require little to no practice to be good with.

3. I lol'd. 

I'm not saying that different people can't be good with different characters.  A better character is a matter of opinion.

« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »
2. Yes, I would definitely say that some characters require little to no practice to be good with.
You must have one strange definition of "good".

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »
I would definitely say that some characters require little to no practice to be good with.
How's that working out for you?

My friend owns me with Toon Link.
Oh, I see.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2008, 11:49:48 PM »
A few days ago I totally got served by some Melee veterans who wavedashed and move-cancelled like crazy. After they said that Brawl sucks because the gameplay mechanics are too dumbed down (plus, Brawl has no wavedashing), that makes me want to play Brawl more. I thought I was somewhat good at Melee, but... wow, no, I'm an amateur compared to them. Suddenly, beating all 50 event matches looks like a piece of cake with those moves.

Sometimes I wonder whether it's cheating to use moves like that that exploit the game. I admit it seems to elevate them to professional status when they use it well. The matches I saw, with all the close calls and seemingly-impossible recoveries was a sight to behold.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:55:12 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2008, 04:51:14 AM »
How's that working out for you?

First time I had ever played Melee I was at a friend's place.  He had had the game for a year.  Playing as Kirby, I thrashed him and a few level 7 CPUs.  I think that would qualify as good.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2008, 12:21:04 PM »
I thought I responded to this, but I guess I didn't, because I didn't see any responses by me when searching for it.

My mains are:
Pit
Pokémon Trainer (Squirtle)
R.O.B.
and sometimes Mario.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »
Whoa. I looked back on a thread about predicting the name of the SSB game after Meele, and somebody got it right. This was in 2005, mind you.
I'm just pretending here, but what if Sakurai-san was told/looking about/at the forums and he used that name?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »
Kind of like if JK Rowling visited Harry Potter rumor boards under a pseudonym.

« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2008, 02:38:35 PM »
?

Print