Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711846 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2925 on: July 23, 2007, 10:37:30 AM »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2926 on: July 23, 2007, 11:24:14 AM »
I thought he was doing pretty well this time around.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2927 on: July 24, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
Aw that was just one time. Glorb's funnier than most people around here.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2928 on: July 24, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »
My computer is refusing to allow me to get online. I'm posting this from a computer that I can't even use Firefox on.

EDIT: Now I'm able to use Firefox on my computer, but I still can't connect to Dorksnet.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:27:51 PM by WarpRattler »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2929 on: July 24, 2007, 04:02:01 PM »
I just drank half a cup of half-and-half by accident. I thought it was regular milk. :S

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #2930 on: July 25, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »
OK, who gave me this custom title? I have NO affiliation with Reading Rainbow, if that's what you were wondering. ¬_¬
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #2931 on: July 25, 2007, 04:21:27 PM »
I'm sure they meant Reading Railroad as in one of the railroad properties in Monopoly.

And I have angst because Mac and I have been planing to see the Simpsons movie this Friday for well over a month, but now mom is going to ruin our plans by taking off that same day. This might not seem bad unless you consider that I'm forced to stay home because she can't bear to leave her animals (cats, dog, chickens) alone for more than an hour.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #2932 on: July 25, 2007, 04:44:28 PM »
OK, who gave me this custom title? I have NO affiliation with Reading Rainbow, if that's what you were wondering. ¬_¬
I wouldn't get angry over that. I have one that I was given because of my name, but it's not mean-spirited. Usually it never is, it depends, but I'm pretty sure it's just a bit of a joke.
I'm a horrible person.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #2933 on: July 25, 2007, 04:50:52 PM »
It was originally Rainbow...and now it's Railroad. I know it's a joke, but it makes me sound like I'm for ages 8 and under...Rainbow, that is. I'm fine with Railroad.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:57:50 PM by Reading »
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #2934 on: July 25, 2007, 07:39:20 PM »
Today, I lost something very precious to me. My long hair. My dad told me I wasn't taking good enough care of it, so he said I was going to get it cut. I pleaded but he stood tall. Here's me and all of my misery.

I can also be seen here taking song requests.

I said the song "Layla" because it is by Eric Clapton, it was done acousticly before by him, and my first name is Eric.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #2935 on: July 25, 2007, 08:43:17 PM »
My long hair.

Your hair wasn't that long at all.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2936 on: July 25, 2007, 09:38:48 PM »
Reading, you should be glad to have the CT. Custom titles are given mainly as jokes (or if you've done something wrong, which you haven't). For example, mine was given due to the amount of time I spend here or in #tmk talking about the forums.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2937 on: July 25, 2007, 11:22:18 PM »
Really, custom titles are no big deal. No reason to get flustered or frustrated. Especially if, say, you're given a CT by a spiteful moderator as a power-abusing attempt to make themself look like they won some sort of argument that was never really even an argument at all. You know what I mean? Total waste of valuable energy, getting mad about a custom title.
Oh, I got a new custom title. By the look of it, someone is ridiculing how I am about improper grammar. Fascinating. I wonder who could have given me this one...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2938 on: July 26, 2007, 12:05:55 AM »
Yeah, but easily offended people can easily not enjoy Connecticuts--er, CTs.  Being an easily offended person, a custom title taken personally can be compared to Puritanism and Communism, as shown in the following:

In The Scarlet Letter, a Puritan woman who commited adultery must wear a red letter "A" to remind her and everyone of her sin, and therefore she is judged by all.  Because adultery has negative connotations, one with a custom title expressing a negative aspect of himself may therefore be constantly aware of his faults and everyone's easy accessibility to judgement that person.

With Communism, excessive paranoia of treasonous citizens resulted in persons spying and telling on other citizens.  The accusers received benefits, while the accused were punished for treason.  Because of the threat of other citizens, a communist would have to keep his head down and his mouth shut in order to avoid persecution by his neighbors.  Similarly, custom titles usually result from one's behavior or personality and therefore one must lie low in order to avoid the punishment of being publicly deemed as a person with ill behavior or qualities.

However, two differences between those topics and custom titles are that for one, custom titles often may infer no such ill behavior and may refer to some other aspect of a person, and therefore may not be as putrid in effect.  Secondly, the downside is that custom titles usually remain after one may have changed his behavior or crudeness that led him to receive the custom title in the first place, therefore allowing his previous reputation to precede him unfairly.  Supposedly if one brought up a good case against his custom title, it seems like it could then be removed.  However, often a custom title may be seemingly inoffensive while the user will take offense due to self-esteem, emotional instability, or most commonly their dignity, and in such cases the user will either have to deal with his label, or continue to react until he gets results.  However, taking constant actions will usually result in more negative results, such as a worse custom title that points out their obstinancy or whining, and so one must be careful to question how offensive their custom title really is.  If internal agony persists, then the problem should probably be raised if it cannot be avoided.  Or bribery would probably get results. Ultimately, one will suffer if they are overly self-conscious, and one should seek reassurance in the fact that custom titles get old fast and sink into a bland state of ordinariness.

One who gives custom titles is not always at fault if the custom title offends, since he or she can't really tell before the person receives it.  However, if one gives someone a custom title on the sole basis that the person had previously expressed a distate for such a custom title, and had no other affiliation with such a title, then the person who gives the custom title is a cruel malevolent jerk who ought to reexamine their morals of human decency, because their intent was to cause the person pain rather than give a more apt or logical title that in some way relates to an aspect of the person.

Rude titles should only be given as warnings in relation to the person's conduct, especially if that person has been previously warned and still continues to act distastefully.  Then it would be the fault of the person who receives the title for not altering their conduct after such warnings.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:12:05 AM by Markio »
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #2939 on: July 26, 2007, 12:36:07 AM »
Your hair wasn't very long at first Melee man but it wasn't this short. It's significantly shorter. My mom said she'd cut off my hair if I didn't start to take care of it (I really neglected it). It was really short. I started to take care of it and now my hair is finally growing healthier.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Print