Print

Author Topic: Rumor: Nintendo Power shutting down?  (Read 10626 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »
Hm, the end of an era might be near. Everyone's favorite site, IGN.com, is claiming to have heard that Nintendo is planning to either close or restructure its official Nintendo Power magazine. This comes a week after NoA announced they were moving a large chunk of its marketing and sales departments from Seattle to a new city (San Fran or New York, where's the TEXAS love?-ed). Apparently, IGN.com has sources close to the publication that say they were told to find work by September or be left out in the cold.

Now, I gotta rant for a sec. I used to love Nintendo Power, but I always felt that from the moment they re-designed the mag a few years back, it's been unreadable and really a waste of time, especially with free-based blogs running rampant and other magazines, such as GameInformer, that offer more than a subscription with help from a retailer. I believe a tall rebirth would be in order to save the publication. Why not start a Club Nintendo here? With a Nintendo Power subscription, you could get points towards purchases on the Wii's Shop Channel. Or, better yet, move the magazine to become a Wii channel. You save the cost of having to print a paper, and could instead charge a 10 dollars a year digital subscription that allows you to download demos, customer mii skins, or items from the channel. In addition, you could still get the in-depth features that the magazine would want to offer. Now, that'd be Playing with POWER!

Okay, might be a bad idea, but I seem to be excited over it. Thoughts? Suggestions?
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »
Game Informer rules. It's a shame Nintendo Power could be shutting down, though I'll agree with the whole "re-design" thing. The magizine kinda sucked after that.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:10:42 PM »
Nintendo Power went downhill long before the redesign; the redesign was a good step in getting it back to its former glory.  You're right about the need for Club Nintendo... or even bringing back the Super Power Supplies catalog.  I recall another rumor a while back about Nintendo considering putting back issues online as a Wii channel.  Nintendo really should start offering demos; from what I understand, Nintendo Power wanted to do it last gen, but NCL wouldn't let them.  Also, the Shop Channel already has the infrastructure to handle demos; it's just a matter of putting some up.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 01:15:54 AM »
I agree with MB. It's a much better magazine now than it was a few years ago.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »
I've never really liked Nintendo Power. This will sound blaringly stupid, but they seem biased towards Nintendo products (as in, they tend to rate Nintendo-made stuff high no matter what). I'm not a Nintendo-exclusive gamer, so I've never really found it helpful.
every

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 12:00:37 PM »
Almost all magazines are gonna seem biased toward or against some area of video games.  I read a lot of biased magazine reviews against the PMD games.   PMD blue and red rescue teams are by no means bad games.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 02:33:10 PM »
Almost all magazines are gonna seem biased toward or against some area of video games.  I read a lot of biased magazine reviews against the PMD games.   PMD blue and red rescue teams are by no means bad games.
For a moment I read PMD as "Paper Mario's Dungeon."
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 02:36:24 PM »

Well, then you're biased towards Pokemon. I've played one of them (the DS version), and it is absent of anything resembling fun. But that's probably because I'm biased towards action games; most anything RPG-ish I find boring.
every

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:53:46 PM »
I'm not necessarily biased toward Pokemon alone.  I love RPGs.  If I ever find the chance, I'd like to try one of the old Final Fantasy games (any FF game before 7)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 07:43:27 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ToT
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 08:05:35 PM »
I don't think NP will ever shut down. Not as long as Nintendo of America continues to fund it. It would be quite upsetting since I have a 2 year supscription.

A rebirth also seems unlikely since they went through one back in late 2004 and then again in mid 2005.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 09:02:04 PM »
I wish there we some numbers on the installed base of readers and profit that NP is putting out. That'd give a better idea of what Nintendo is trying to do. I guess we'll see next week, as alot of Nintendo announcements are nigh...
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 09:58:16 AM »
Once NP stops using slanted subtitles with cheesy sayings, then I'll start supporting them. It looks too...MTV-ish (circa 1980s).
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 05:42:20 PM »
Okay, here's a place to finally unleash my rant.

I've been getting Nintendo Power ever since I was, like, seven. Looking back, it was maybe just a little infantile, but I have almost every poster from every issue since 103 on my walls. It was that big a deal. Then... came that infamous '05 makeover--and with it, clearly, a rapidly modified staff. So stunned was I at such a crucial part of my existance--then, at least--turning into garbage, and mildy obsessive-compulsive, I labored over a two-page grievance about what the folks at NP had done and fired it off. They either never read it or thought I was insane, because nothing came of it. Now, I'm really only getting it because I just, for some reason, can't bear to stop after nearly a decade of constant subscriptions... and I like the posters (though they print them on the other side with cheaper paper now--go figure).

In a nutshell, what was once an enjoyable and kinda-biased publication is now a shoddy, sloppily made POS that seems legally required to make at least three asinine typographical and/or factual errors per month, and at least one use of the word "badass". Their layout is inconsistant, their computer evidentally only has three fonts, and the whole tone comes across like something your mom would write when she was trying to sound cool. It's sad, really, because this was supposed to be a great new beginning for them, a "maturation", as I think they said at one point. For I while, although I hated it, I thought maybe they'd succeeded with a wider audience, but as I'm rapidly seeing on many a website with the announcement of this story, that's not really the case. Sure, I'm getting a little used to the "New NP" (it's been two years, FYI), but if it does go down... eh.

...Oh, and if they wanted to prove they weren't biased, giving Twilight Princess a 9.5 wasn't the best way to do it. What beats that? When Jesus breaks into the gaming biz? Come to think of it, I don't think they're biased (well... at least not totally biased), I just think everything else on Nintendo systems ususally sucks so much in comparison.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 11:47:36 PM »
No, they're really pretty much right about game reviews, it seems to me.
That was a joke.

Print