Poll

Do you think Guitar Hero, Rock Band, et al get people interested in real music or keep them away from it?

Music games are usually a great motivator to learn music and/or start a band!
2 (40%)
Music games can inhibit/encourage one to hold back real musical skill!
2 (40%)
Some combination of the above.
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Print

Author Topic: GH, RB, etc: Band Makers or Breakers?  (Read 7344 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
Yeah but you don't have to compose music to be a great musician. A lot of instruments basically come down to pressing your fingers down very quickly in the order shown to you. Just in Rock Band's case, it's a tv screen with 5 notes, while real life is like 40 notes on a piece of paper. That's the difference. I think playing a lot of Rock Band could help train a lot of coordination with your fingers, but that's only if you already have a knowledge of how to play music.

So I'm kind of just restating what's been said about 100 times already in this thread.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 05:56:28 PM »
A lot of instruments basically come down to pressing your fingers down very quickly in the order shown to you.
No.

No way.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I think Forest Guy has never played an instrument.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 06:19:57 PM »
Oddly, he apparently has. But he's totally wrong about pressing buttons on a GH controller having anything in common with playing instruments.
Furthering that though, it takes one skill set to be able to squeak out a few notes on a given instrument, and a much more advanced one to create worthwhile art with the same instrument. I guess Meowrik has never improvised or learned to interpret music on his own, though.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 06:43:52 PM »
I used to play piano, but the experience wasn't exactly the best. I can't even remember the basics. Thus I am not musically inclined at all.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 11:05:09 PM »
Actually I play a number of instruments. I was accepted into both the all-state band and all-national band, back in high school on Horn. I also played in jazz band for a few years on trumpet, which as you would imagine is heavy on improvising. Now I'm a music minor, and teach private lessons.

My comment was really meant to be a facetious statement towards woodwind instruments, the mortal enemy of brass players. So either 1. everyone here plays woodwind instruments, 2. they have no sense of humor, or 3. they've not played in a symphonic band for a prolonged period of time, since from what I've seen it's a fairly common joke in the business.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:18:38 PM by Forest Guy »
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »
Interesting, the alleged author of facetiousness has trouble recognizing it in the posts of others.
That was a joke.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:50 AM »
4. you wrote that post entirely seriously but without thinking much and are now backpedalling, 5. you are the worst conveyer of facetiousness ever

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 01:05:55 AM »
Yes, clearly I think playing an instrument is as easy as playing Guitar Hero. Right. You got me. Obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I better go drop out of orchestra, change my class schedule, and tell all my students that I don't know how to play instruments because people on a video game message board said so. Thank God, and here I was under the impression I actually had some form of knowledge on a subject I've spent my entire life doing. But yeah thank God I posted in this topic so that Chupperson Weird and Lizard Dude, two of the most well respected music professors and professional performance artists in the entire world were here to remind me otherwise. Props. Mad props.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 01:09:43 AM »
You're getting better!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 02:41:47 AM »
Haha, okay, even I can admit that was funny. I chuckled at it.
= = = = = = =

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 03:13:07 AM »
Well, basically everyone is screwed with trying to get high scores with the likes of Danny Johnson popping up everywhere now that IGN noticed his no-miss run on 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia."

Simply, like mentioned before, there will always be a huge group of people complaining either trying to defend or bring down a simulation game.

Because of Rock Band and Guitar Hero, somewhere, a guitarist, band, and/or musician (and soon to be DJs) is probably crying.
Because of Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport, somewhere, a race car driver or owner of the cars portrayed in the games is probably crying.
Because of Nintendogs, somewhere, Cesar Millan is probably crying.
Because of RTS games, somewhere, the General of the Army is probably crying.
Because of Grand Theft Auto, somewhere, Jack Thompson is definitely crying.
Because of war games, somewhere, people in the service are probably crying.
Because of Sim City, somewhere, an urban planner is probably crying.
Because of Wii Sports, somewhere, athletes are probably crying.
Because of Wii Music, somewhere, a conductor of the finest of symphonies is probably crying.
Because of any game, really, people are complaining about why it shouldn't exist.

It doesn't matter what you do, someone will complain about it. Since games are trying to be cutting-edge and get more "simmy" every day, arguments will just increase exponentially.

There could be a simulator on how to go take a crap and someone would say "Ugh. This is atrocious. This absolutely does NOT portray how real people go to the bathroom and is an insult to all the people that do in every day life."
Formerly quite reasonable.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 01:16:14 AM »
Oh yeah, Wii Crap. I heard about that one at E3. It's coming out in November, and it's bundled with Motion Plus. Even with that though, some of the bonus games have too much waggling in it.
= = = = = = =

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 08:00:04 AM »
Not to mention it's, like, the first AO-rated game to get a widespread release.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »
Hehe... "wide spread"

...And "release"
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print