Poll

What are your views on homosexuals and/or letting them wed?

I accept them.
51 (66.2%)
I tolerate them.
6 (7.8%)
It's flat out wrong.
7 (9.1%)
I don't really care.
9 (11.7%)
I have mixed views. (Describe)
4 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Print

Author Topic: Homosexuality and Same-Sex Marriage  (Read 201359 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2009, 03:29:06 AM »
Forest Guy: The usual complaint about gay marriage is that it's a religious institution and it's against the biblical definition. By forming parallel definitions, one of marriage and one of the aforementioned "contract," you solve both problems in one stroke. In theory, this would make gays getting 'married' mere lax terminology-- the real marriage would stay with the church. Yes, this would alienate homosexuals from the religious sort of marriage, but I'm sure somebody can make some new denomination which outlines the fact that marriage between homosexuals should be fine if they fail to "consummate" it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2009, 08:13:48 AM »
This "contract" already exists.  It's called a civil union.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
I was kind of skirting around that. Perhaps if it was rebranded, officials wouldn't run the risk of losing their election by misunderstanding voters.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #243 on: July 30, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
I have a good argument, but it's gonna take a while to write out, so I'll do it later since I have to get to the gym soon.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #244 on: August 01, 2009, 02:20:08 PM »
I think Forest Guy was accidentally dropped here from the 1950s. Does that answer your question PL?
every

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #245 on: August 01, 2009, 08:49:56 PM »
To save myself time, I'm gonna map it out in standard logic form like this.

-The definition of a mental illness is any mental state that impairs one's normal cognitive, emotional, or behavioral functioning.

-Ignoring alternative lifestyle advocacy, the normal behavioral human functioning is to be heterosexual, simply because humans as a species (or any sexually reproducing lifeform) could not physically exist without it being a normal function.

-Homosexuality is a naturally occurring mental state that a human is born with.

-Despite the fact you can adopt a child or use artificial insemination, hypothetically a human's normal behavior (i.e. reproducing) cannot take place if they are homosexual, simply because they will never be able to have children.

-Therefore, because homosexuality, a mental state, interrupts the normal course of human behavior, it matches the definition of a mental state.

Now before I'm branded a homophobe or someone restates I lived in the 1950s(???), you have to realize this is a purely logical argument. I'm not stating that gays are bad people or that they should be deprived of the rights or normal people, I simply believe it's foolish to ignore sound facts simply to appease the group associated with it. Temporary Anxiety is classified as a mental illness. I occasionally suffer from bouts of anxiety. Do I like the fact you could tell me I have a mental illness and be correct? Not really, and a lot of people wouldn't just because it has a negative connotation typically. However, that doesn't mean anxiety shouldn't be classified as a mental illness anymore.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:37:47 PM by Forest Guy »
= = = = = = =

« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2009, 09:00:02 PM »
That supposedly-enigmatic "50's" comment refers to the then-common belief that homosexuality was a mental illness. I'm not saying that I entirely disagree, though. Just clarifying.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »
Ohh, gotcha. My bad. It went right over my head, so I was seriously confused by it. I didn't get it since they didn't actually change that classificiation up until the late 80s I believe.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2011, 12:11:07 AM »
Over the past few years since I've posted in this topic, my views on homosexuality have completely changed. I've gone from simply parroting what my parents have told me to actually forming an opinion of my own. After a friend "came out" to me, I was conflicted in my beliefs, but I now fully accept homosexuals for who they are, and I have changed my vote from "it's flat out wrong" to "I accept them."
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2011, 12:27:19 AM »
My views changed when a friend came out to me as well. It's great to hear that you've changed your mind because there are enough cruel people in this world who despise them.

I tolerate them as human beings. I don't like homosexuality in general, but it is their choice and I'm not supposed to judge them. They are free to do as they wish as long as they don't try and make a huge deal about it (*coughChrisCrockercough*).

I've gone from "tolerance" to complete acceptance of gays, and I also encourage people to explore their sexuality. You never know what you might like.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:50:04 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2011, 02:41:52 PM »
I accept it. Why not, you know?
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2011, 12:14:41 AM »
I believe it's comparable to how African Americans were treated for the longest time. It's a belief that's been passed down for generations, and only now is that belief starting to be overridden by widespread acceptance and understanding

Another explanation is the fact that the bible condemns men "[lying] with a man as one lies with a woman," but even then I don't understand the hate. Whatever happened to"love thy neighbor as thyself?"
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2011, 01:23:41 AM »
The fun thing is that rednecks used to use the Bible as justification to persecute black people, too. KKK still does.

Dat's Amerikin as apple pie, dat is
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2011, 02:16:39 AM »
It's really not enough to appeal to the Bible. I mean I could look at any religious text and point out a justification for hurting someone.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2011, 04:38:18 PM »
Here's my counter-argument to anyone who says sexuality is a choice:

If it were, I'd be bi, not straight.
~I.S.~

Print