Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto Hates Stories  (Read 32986 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 01:36:15 AM »
The interview with Yoshiaki Koizumi linked from the article was pretty interesting too. You have to wonder though, why Miyamoto would have anything against a more developed plot. While I agree that you shouldn't have an overly dramatic sob story for a Mario game, it would be nice to see him in a more developed situation rather than just "My gurl is kidnapped, I have to save her". I think that's what selling the Mario RPGs, cuz we can see these characters, who are usually just symbolisms of various things (Mario = You, Bowser = Obstacle, Peach = Goal) become actual characters and do things we haven't seen them do before. Like someone said, Mario games lends themselves pretty well to storytelling mostly because the world in them is so well established.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 07:08:36 AM »
If there's enough plot leeway, I'm probably going to just pretend that SMG2 is the "new world" Rosalina said you'd go to when you got 120 stars
Yeah, that kind of occured to me as well a week back or so, too.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 07:28:16 AM »
But what's perfect about Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games is that they wrap themselves up as promptly as their simple, platforming brethren. There are no cliffhangers or open ends. The villain is defeated and it's all good. The Thousand-Year Door had a pseudo-cliffhanger at the end with Peach's new map, but it was never one anybody expected would lead to a sequel anyway.

I doubt anybody's asking for something ongoing when they say they want a story. This isn't a drama serial or anything. Mario is more like a saturday morning cartoon with self-contained episodes, sometimes with recurring characters and themes (which is to be expected).

Sqrt2

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
Also, Peach is cake-obsessed?

Well her board in the original Mario Party was a birthday cake. And she did invite Mario over for cake at the beginning of SM64.

So I guess she is cake-obsessed (although I'd have thought the cake boss in SMRPG would have put her off cake for life)...
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »
She didn't have to fight it though.

Mario games don't need a deeper plot. They are fine just the way they are. They are meant to be light-hearted romps through fields of green, they are meant to be flights through skies of blue with your favorite color Yoshi, they are meant for you to watch as you fall to your doom after mistiming that jump.. er..

They are meant for fun.

I personally wouldn't mind for more plot, but I am content with the current state of things. I would be ecstatic for more playable Toad too..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »
This is really disappointing for me. I was impressed by Super Mario Galaxy's plot as compared to the other "main series" Mario games, but not as a stand-alone story. And now I hear SMG2 will have even less of a story?

I'll be hoping and praying that Miyamoto changes his mind. Or that Koizumi gets to sneak more story elements in.

...Heck, do we have any information on the game's story at all? I could be able to tolerate it, even if it's hyper-simple, if it's something other than saving Peach, however likely that may be.

EDIT: Oh, and Rosalina FT absolute W.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »
Well her board in the original Mario Party was a birthday cake. And she did invite Mario over for cake at the beginning of SM64.
Liking cake is one thing, and she's clearly not a genius as well, but she's never been portrayed as the stereotypical glutton dumb enough to be lured into a trap with food on a string or something. But hey, he said that was just a speculative idea.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »
I think Miyamoto just doesn't give two flying turds about his characters are portrayed.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 01:36:04 AM »
Exclusive leaked storyboard for the opening sequence of Galaxy 2:

All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 07:01:01 AM »
Thank you.

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 11:27:38 AM »
Why is Peach licking her lips in a suggestive manner? Otherise, that's one sure contender for Image of the Year.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 09:25:58 PM »
BECAUSE SHE SEES CAKE
That was a joke.

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 09:42:15 PM »
I had established that, but the way in which she initially reacted looked less like she wanted cake, and more like she wanted co... No, I cannot bring myself to say it. Never mind.

HAPPY 10,000TH POST, CHUP! :'D
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 06:25:40 AM »
:O

At Chup's 10000th post, and Weegee's bad joke.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
I think this pretty much sums up why Mario is to Miyamoto as Star Wars is to George Lucas. They should be kept as far away from their creators as possible because those guys are nuts and just want to mess stuff up.

Chup has won this topic. Because I agree with him, and I IS EPIC WIN LOL. ... In all seriousness, however, Mario needs to get a better story, I mean, honestly, here's how I imagine Galaxy 2's story:

1.Bowser kidnaps Peach.
2.Mario gets Luigi to join him.
3.Mario finds a Yoshi that tells them about a Yoshroom that gives Yoshis special abilitys.
4.Bowser Jr. fights Mario.
5.Mario fights random minions sent by Bowser.
6.See above.
7.Mario fights Bowser Jr. again.
8.The last four things reapeat two more times.
9.Mario FINALLY reaches Bowser's Castle.
10.Mario PWNS Bowser after a battle.
11. Giygas appears and owns Mario. Mario saves Peach.
12. Insert crappier sequel here.
GAY LUIGEH

Print