Print

Author Topic: GTA IV: A Futurespective  (Read 1932 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: August 01, 2007, 01:00:51 PM »
GTA IV is coming out soon (well, eventually), and it's shaping up to be the best one yet, as the cliche goes. However, I have some issues with some reported new features, and, being a member of a gaming forum, it is my duty to whine about them before it's released.

For one, it looks like Rockstar is revamping the wanted level system. A red hue will appear around your radar, signifying "heat", I guess (?). As you jaywalk, litter, and run red lights more often, your radar will get more and more red. If Rockstar's intention is to make the system more realistic, this really isn't the way to do it. Maybe a small meter that gains more rings around it would be better, or something that goes from green to red, but this sounds imprecise. Knowing that police in the game are going to have wonky AI (that's pretty much a guarantee with each GTA game), this could lead to having a completely red meter for a small infraction, or having a small meter but being chased by SWAT teams and helicopters.

Apparently, guns in the game will not be bought from Anmu-Nation stores, but rather from some dude's car trunk. Although that's not too much of a change, I actually liked the Ammu-Nation stores, partly because you could get into a shootout with the store owner.

There are some rumors that objectives won't be marked on the map, and to me, that sounds like a bunch of crap, because I know that half the objectives will be "kill the guy on the cell phone" or something along those lines. I hated The Getaway for not explaining where to go for missions, so I hope that Rockstar gets this right.

As you've probably heard, downloadable content will supposedly add massive chunks of missions and story content to the game. I sincerely hope that this does not mean that you'll have to fork over five bucks to unlock the next part of the city, or that you'll be paying for difficulty levels or cheat codes (although I'd gladly pay for horse armor).

So, that's my two cents. I'm pretty sure GTA IV will have its share of irritating flaws, but it'll still likely be good enough to make bazillions of dollars.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:42:31 PM »
[For one, it looks like Rockstar is revamping the wanted level system. A red hue will appear around your radar, signifying "heat", I guess (?). As you jaywalk, litter, and run red lights more often, your radar will get more and more red. If Rockstar's intention is to make the system more realistic, this really isn't the way to do it. Maybe a small meter that gains more rings around it would be better, or something that goes from green to red, but this sounds imprecise.
The systems you described sound about as imprecise as the system Rockstar will use.
Knowing that police in the game are going to have wonky AI (that's pretty much a guarantee with each GTA game), this could lead to having a completely red meter for a small infraction, or having a small meter but being chased by SWAT teams and helicopters.
I think the AI would govern how the police behave when you're being chased, not how the meter changes when you do something.
Apparently, guns in the game will not be bought from Anmu-Nation stores, but rather from some dude's car trunk. Although that's not too much of a change, I actually liked the Ammu-Nation stores, partly because you could get into a shootout with the store owner.
Who says you won't be able to shoot the guy who owns the car?
There are some rumors that objectives won't be marked on the map, and to me, that sounds like a bunch of crap, because I know that half the objectives will be "kill the guy on the cell phone" or something along those lines.
I think this would make it more fun and challenging. This way, you actually have to find someone and then kill him, as opposed to just going to a point on the map.
As you've probably heard, downloadable content will supposedly add massive chunks of missions and story content to the game. I sincerely hope that this does not mean that you'll have to fork over five bucks to unlock the next part of the city, or that you'll be paying for difficulty levels or cheat codes (although I'd gladly pay for horse armor).
I doubt it. You're probably exaggerating it in your mind.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:52:18 PM »
I think the AI would govern how the police behave when you're being chased, not how the meter changes when you do something.

Well, no. If the police AI from every other GTA game is indicative of their behavior, their main mission will be to kill you in any way neccessary. Of course, maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I still predict a lot of issues with this feature.
every

Print